• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Excellent Saga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uthred

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Hardly surprising that Mitsuru uses a rapier considering that it was the type of weapon she used in Persona 3 and all of the other characters are using their signature weapons.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Could someone tell me why someone thought that "Apocalypse Zero" was worth making a video game about? From what I've heard of this franchise,it wasn't worth the bother. I'm hoping that someone doesn't decide to do an American version of this,either in comic book or movie form. The world doesn't need something like that.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Could someone tell me why someone thought that "Apocalypse Zero" was worth making a video game about? From what I've heard of this franchise,it wasn't worth the bother. I'm hoping that someone doesn't decide to do an American version of this,either in comic book or movie form. The world doesn't need something like that.

Wow, that's completely unneeded anger, especially over something that you seem to have never seen or read yourself. Also, North America already got the OVA and the first six volumes of the original manga years ago, so your hope is too late.

Finally, while Apocalypse Zero isn't one of the absolute greats of anime & manga it's still a fun, if completely gruesome and violent, tokusatsu-styled romp. Granted, it's easily not for everyone, but there are those who legitimately like it.
sepherest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised that Apocalypse Zero wound up getting a videogame, but it's interesting how much it's selling for now. Even the figuarts of the main character in his exoskeleton costs over $100.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:40 pm Reply with quote
WolfTeam: I'm grateful they made Tales of Phantasia. The series still needs more renown here though.

Quote:
Mitsuru carries a rapier

Looks like someone didn't play P3 or never used Mitsuru. As mentioned already, it's her equipped weapon in battle. XP

Voltron: Now this is a pretty damn good idea. I'm sure all the whiny weeaboos on YouTube who want their anime Voltron back can satisfy themselves with this (not that anyone cares what those babies want); Voltron Force isn't a terrible show, despite being sillier than the original Voltron at times, and I actually find myself watching it every Friday to see what other ideas they've inserted (return of Sven this Friday, can't wait to hear his accent in this modern adaptation).

Wow it's been a long time since we've seen Extra Lives. Too bad the game of choice sucks so bad. Razz
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Fighting Fairy looks almost as if it were The Nutcracker: the Video Game.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo has said that my anger over the "Apocalypse Zero" thing was unjustified because I haven't seen it. Fair enough. But I think he misunderstood me. I said I hope there isn't an American version of this franchise. What I meant was that I hope that someone in this country doesn't decide to remake this either in comic book form or as a movie or tv show. From what I've heard of the series,it's extremely violent,emphasis on the word extreme. Just because a manga or anime has been translated into English,doesn't mean there should be an American version of it.
All the reviews I've read of the manga and anime panned this and from what little I have seen,justifiably so. And from what I've heard,the creator of this manga is doing a sequel. I hope it isn't set in America. It might satisfy the creator's anger over the bad reviews of his work on just about every anime website in this country but I shudder to think how it'll turn out.
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Two eXceeds *and* an updated Ether Vapor? Just take all of my money.

And as big a fan I am of the Gradius series, there's something about Otomedius that sends me running for the hills. A general lost of faith with Konami over the last few years doesn't help much either.

I might pick up a copy 2nd hand or if the price goes down.
Dimlos

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Tales of Adjective/Noun RPG series
I think "Tales of Made Up Word" would have been better, personally.
Gamescook

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:08 am Reply with quote
Whatever Japanese developers need to tell themselves to create justification for their objectification, I guess.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Dimlos wrote:
I think "Tales of Made Up Word" would have been better, personally.

Funny you say that when your username is the name of Stahn's sword from Tales of Destiny (just change the i to a y). Plus not every Tales title is a made up word: Destiny, Rebirth, Abyss, Innocence, Hearts, Graces, Radiant Mythology, Tempest, VS, Breaker, Commons, Wahrheit, Tactics. XP
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:22 am Reply with quote
I've heard people complaining about Apocalypse Zero before, but now that I know just how insane it really is I'm kind of dying to see it.

I actually thought Shigurui was unironically excellent, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1