• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Afro Samurai Press Release

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Frankman

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:41 pm Reply with quote
A black guy as the lead in a Japanese anime? I thought I'd never see the day. Now as long as he isn't drawn like Sambo-like I'm fine.
Erufu

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Well, considering there aren't that many black people running around Japan, it's to be expected.

Now, how this is going to turn out is anybody's guess. I, myself, am not a big fan of Samuel L. Jackson, but it could turn out good. I'm going to assume 1 of 2 things; either this will not air in Japan (like how Batman Beyond was animated in Japan but not made to originally air there) or Jackson will only do the English release voice with a Japanese VA doing the Japanese versions.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I don't think there's a big risk of the hero being drawn in a stereotypical way, seeing as how Jackson has creative input and the execs at Spike TV are going to be very careful about not offending anyone.

My biggest concern is that this is an animated show on Spike TV; these guys don't exactly have the greatest track record. Can you say "Stripperella?"
linlinchan

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Ugh... this is coming too close on the heels of Samurai Champloo for me.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Eh, the good thing about this one is that it's a (pseudo-)"anime" on an American cable channel that Canadians are actually allowed to watch for a freakin' change.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omnistry

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Ho....ly.....s#*t!

I myself am a big fan of Samuel L. Jackson; and by the sound of it, it should be a great show. The style does look similar to Champloo; but it still could be filled with originality. Maybe it'll be more of a blaxploitation (I think that's how it spelt).

Samuel Jackson! He'll get you drunk, motherf***er! Yes they deserve to die; and I hope they burn in Hell!!!
Gamelore

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I know it's redundant, but I agree that this is just another retarded idea from SpikeTV (read: video game awards, stripperella, etc). Even mentioning those shows by name makes me feel dirty. This time they think they are in some kind of position to attract Samurai Champloo fans. Like the masses can't judge class from crap...

SpikeTV is just a clueless company out to pander to some mythical, stereotypical male. Bring back Ren & Stimpy if anything!
arxane

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Just to let you guys know, someone who says he's one of the main executives behind the project posted on Toon Zone. Apparently, the idea for this was thought up by Takashi Okazaki 10 years ago, and four years ago the series was being developed.

I'm with Spike TV's track record with animation being abysmal, but I'm actually hopeful for this series. I mean...it has Samuel L Jackson, for crying out loud!
BeyonderZ

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Other then Jackson doing the VA.. it sounds to me just to be a 5 Episode anime. The story in my personal opinion will be fine as long as there isn't a bunch of Race related comments ... if they keep it about him and getting revenge for his fathers death then it should work out.
BeyonderZ

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:25 pm Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:
A black guy as the lead in a Japanese anime? I thought I'd never see the day. Now as long as he isn't drawn like Sambo-like I'm fine.

lol Japan = Japanese people.. little to no Blacks or Whites are there they make up nill on the population so making a anime "for them" or "with them" [white or black] is super rare and of course it would be.
Proman

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:06 pm Reply with quote
This is very interesting. Guess the main character will be one bad mother****ing Samurai Laughing .

Speaking of which, does anyone know what they call a Big Mac in Japan Razz ?
MugenKeiji

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:12 am Reply with quote
Erufu wrote:
Well, considering there aren't that many black people running around Japan, it's to be expected.

Now, how this is going to turn out is anybody's guess. I, myself, am not a big fan of Samuel L. Jackson, but it could turn out good. I'm going to assume 1 of 2 things; either this will not air in Japan (like how Batman Beyond was animated in Japan but not made to originally air there) or Jackson will only do the English release voice with a Japanese VA doing the Japanese versions.

Batman Beyond wasn't animated in Japan, Koko Enterprises in Korea did the animation. Only the movie "Return of the Joker" was (co)produced by Tokyo Movie. I'd go more in depth on the history on that but I fail to see the relevence there.

So...yeah.
Aka-san

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:34 pm Reply with quote
linlinchan wrote:
Ugh... this is coming too close on the heels of Samurai Champloo for me.

Actually, it was the other way around. But those whom are the first to release are the ones whom get credited first!

I'm actually a friend of the creators and producers of Afro.

Trust me, it's all original and all bad ass.
.Sy

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 6:19 pm Reply with quote
When I first saw the news post and "Afro Samurai" I pictured a person wearing traditional samurai clothes with an Afro for some reason. *Ahem* Excuse me. What I meant was, I found it to be a strange name.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1