• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell, Blood: The Last Vampire and Ninja Scroll on UMD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treeloot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:38 pm Reply with quote
How well do these UMD releases sell anyhow? I see no point in buying something you can only watch on a PSP. If you really want DVDs on the go a portable DVD player is about 150 bucks tops. That's a lot cheaper and more practical.
Invidrule

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Manga definitely has some strong titles which would go well with the PSP.
hikura

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Treeloot wrote:
How well do these UMD releases sell anyhow? I see no point in buying something you can only watch on a PSP. If you really want DVDs on the go a portable DVD player is about 150 bucks tops. That's a lot cheaper and more practical.

In one way i do agree with you.I wish the UMD's could be played on dvd players.Basically they are mini dvds in those plastic covers.But the good thing about those umds that they are small and the psp is more readably useable on a plane and what not then say a portable dvd player.Plus you can play games and listen to music on the psp while you can not do that(well not play games anyways) on a portable dvd player.
Seif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:19 pm Reply with quote
That's all well and good, but would you be willing to pay $40 on one title? I sure as hell wouldn't.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:47 pm Reply with quote
They don't cost that much. TRSI has them for $20 max, typically $12-15.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:50 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry, but no matter how I look at the format, UMD seems destined to fail. Sure, it's great for games and small music videos, but no one is going to want to buy a large amount of actual movies or anime series that can only play on one system that will be obsolete in approximately five years. (Unless Microsoft decides to enter the portable race and make everyone handheld maker move up to a four year cycle like they did with consoles.)
Seif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:32 am Reply with quote
My point was that you'd buy the UMD of something you like after you've bought the DVD of it. Hence 35-40 bucks on one title.
ADavalosJR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:31 am Reply with quote
I already have "Blood: The Last Vampire" on DVD. I don't see why I would want it on a UMD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1