• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lucas Looking to Anime?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Lucas should collaborate with Gonzo. They'd love his "scripts".
Hunter Gren

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Having read the full article it looks to me like Lucas is lambasting anime as it currently is.
Quote:
Lucas revealed Monday that he wants to bring the wonders of 3-D animation to Asia, produce television shows much more cheaply than the rest of the industry, and make sure that his Industrial Light and Magic (ILM) effects house doesn't lose its famed camaraderie and creative spunk.

"I put all of my resources into pushing the evolution in an industry that is notoriously backwards and I enjoy pushing that envelope,"

While its not clear what this is a reference too, the full text makes it look like he is talking about traditional style animation as backward.

I may be in the minority, but I have seen very little 3-D or CGI animation that I considered to be at or above traditional animation. The style of 2-D, or traditional animation might cost more, as Lucas alludes too, but it has a quality that I've yet to see 3D animation touch.

Don't get me wrong, computer based animation can be very good, Gonzo productions come to mind, its the 3D productions I don't think are that great. What worries me is that people like Lucas who think that new is automatically better and have the clout to throw behind it have the potential to do whatever they want without repercussions. Lucas has the power and scope to actually warp the anime industry and I for one, don't want that to happen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:30 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Lucas should collaborate with Gonzo. They'd love his "scripts".

I am a GONZO WHORE, and I hate that idea.
Treeloot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Personally I prefer 2D animation over 3D.
zegron

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:50 pm Reply with quote
All I have to say is "Eekk!"
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Dejitaru Otoko

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I agree entirely Hunter Gren (about 2D vs 3D animation). 3D animation will never replace 2D animation, and visa versa. 2D and 3D animation are two different STYLES of art: one cannot replace the other. Its like saying that water color painting is backward, and should be replaced with oil painting.

But, if Lucas really wants to open that can of worms, then I would like to ask him why Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence was so much more visually stimulating and impressive then Revenge of the Sith. Sure, there was a lot of CGI in Ghost in the Shell 2, but it did come out of the “notoriously backwards [industry]”. And can you imagine what it would have been like if the expressive and alive 2D Batou was replaced with one of Lucas’s stunted CGI creations? Yech!
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, the only good that will come out of this is a cg anime-styled Jar Jar series.
Dejitaru Otoko

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Just for clarification, I was only talking about Ghost in the Shell 2's VISUAL impressiveness. The story is another topic entirely. Smile

I just don’t want to confuse the topic by provoking a lot of GitS 2 haters. Laughing
mitojee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I think you guys are being overly paranoid. I think Lucas was referring to the purely technical aspects of pushing the envelope of the film industry in general, not just anime in asia (though I'm sure he is indeed including that as well). It's not just a 2d vs. 3D thing, though it may be a part of it.

Whatever you may dislike about his storytelling, ILM and his thanks franchises have been intended to push the evolution of film and animation production forward, as well as distribution via digital technology. His legacy, in his own words in a couple interviews I've read (Wired) or seen (Charlie Rose), will be helping the conversion from analog to digital and all the potentials that implies (higher quality, lower cost of production and distribution). He'd love to be remembered for making great movies, but it seems he doesn't have illusions about that--unlike some fanbois who seem to have built up a resentment against him.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I just had this weird thought of ADV going to Lucas with their stalled live action EVA project. I don't know why, but it just felt like a natural event. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
I have to agree on the 2Dv3D thing. Of all the 3D stuff I've seen so far the viscosity of the actions still appear too thick and elastic especially the movements of the characters bodies and mouths.
Vantos

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:58 pm Reply with quote
[lame_joke][alarmist_mode]AAAAAAAAAAH! Sound the alarm! Anime as we know it is DEAD AND BURIED![/alarmist_mode][/lame_joke]

[functioning_brain]Anyhow, I'm not so hot about this 3D animation thing. 2D animation (whether by computer or by hand) has a certain charm about it that can't be captured by computerized polygon-pushing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no staunchly tradition-bound Luddite, but I say this because this is less about technology and more about art (these aren't exactly video games, you know).
[/functioning_brain]
Gamelore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Vantos wrote:
[lame_joke][alarmist_mode]AAAAAAAAAAH! Sound the alarm! Anime as we know it is DEAD AND BURIED![/alarmist_mode][/lame_joke]

[functioning_brain]Anyhow, I'm not so hot about this 3D animation thing. 2D animation (whether by computer or by hand) has a certain charm about it that can't be captured by computerized polygon-pushing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no staunchly tradition-bound Luddite, but I say this because this is less about technology and more about art (these aren't exactly video games, you know).
[/functioning_brain]

Even if it were about video games, there used to be a similar problem. 3D is used improperly in many games, and those games don't sell. It used to be a bigger problem when 3D was "new", but since it has become mainstream, simply having 3D is not enough to sell, so economics has taken over and corrected a lot of the problem.

If crappy 3D is fed to people, they will reject it and the problem will probably correct itself.

I think one word descrbes Lucas so arrogantly trying to influence anime:

"BARF"
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Funny, I thought Lucas was already doing animated movies. Most of Star Wars was cgi. Though I agree with those that say 3D animation is overrated or at least on a diffferent plane and not comparable to cel animation.

-Xenos
1dark_angel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I really wonder if this is all over Lucas being woried over SquareSoft? We all know that when it comes to realistic 3D animation they are at the forefront. I think he is trying to get a foot into the industry over there before square corners the market, lol.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Square is much of a threat to anyone right now, considering their developers are jumping ship. I just think that he's trying to tap into the only sci-fi market share left, now that Star Trek is currently out of commission. Plus he probably noticed how well the Animatrix did, and wants a piece of that.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3