• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Waiting in the Summer (Ano Natsu de Matteru) (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:05 am Reply with quote
Remon looked like she did not really have many friends, and the rest of the class seemed to generally fear her. Why did she sudenly decide to sudenly have the strange transfer student as her best friend, and quickly accept the sketchy invitation for takeing part in an underclassmen's movie. And turning the discusion into a drunken party, mostly of her watching them playing an obviously rigged king game, and later taping them. I am plenty fine with rule of funny, but who knows.

Also that reminded me that I liked the part where Ichika actually tried to explain the technikle explanation that just went over their heads, and where she danced around other questions.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I definitely enjoyed the way each of the characters was developed this second episode, the premise seems to be heading in a good direction for me. One question though, any idea why Kitahara was stark naked hugging a giant stuffed toy whilst on the phone to Kanna? It threw me somewhat.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
any idea why Kitahara was stark naked hugging a giant stuffed toy whilst on the phone to Kanna? It threw me somewhat.

Who cares? She was naked!

In all seriousness, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a real reason behind it. Something like how Sayuri from Kanon always spoke in the third person, which at first sounds like a weird personality trait, but actually has a pretty deep meaning behind it.

Then again, she should could just be an exhibitionist.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:21 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Did anyone else have a flashback to the chase scene in Kare Kano when Arima is running down Yukino?

As I was watching this episode, I got to a point where I was saying, "Man, I love the hell outta this show, but it's paced really slowly." And, for most of this episode, it was with it's love-polygon explanation. However, I felt it pick up at the aforementioned chase scene and then came the ending scene, and now I think our story is about to get progressive.

When Ichika started naming off girls, my thought was "Holy shit, it's about to go down." I think they handled the tension and awkwardness really well with Kaito freezing on cue and Ichika being taken aback. I was also just completely sucked in, waiting for her to name herself, and then seeing what was going to happen. I'm really curious to see her reaction to this since, as it was explained in this episode, they were on two totally different planets with the final scene of last week's episode, and so she wasn't aware of his feelings like I, and I'm sure others, had thought she was.

What has me slightly less curious, but still interested in, is the love polygon going on. Heck, it's not even a polygon since none the lines connect. Ishigaki likes Tanigawa who likes Kaito who likes Ichicka - it's more like a love worm. This denial-thing Ishigaki has going on could be situation similar, though not nearly as extreme, to Yukiatsu from AnoHana where it's a huge source of drama. Something like an eruption of anger from Ishigaki if Tanigawa becomes greatly depressed over Kaito loving another women. I don't know, but I'll definitely keep my eyes on it. I'm still not sure how Mio feels about Ishigaki, but right now she just seems live a very concerned friend.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Volibear

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:33 am Reply with quote
Best part of Episode 3: the ending

Worst part of episode 3: the ending

ok, so it was a great episode, and when spoiler[Kaito stopped as Ichika said her name really made my day ] but when i thought about it its only episode 3, something will happen so that "it's just a misunderstanding" or she'll go live elsewhere because of it or something to avoid making this happen so early on in the series

ok, so that might not be true and i'm hoping it doesn't get slightly too predictable and start next week with a cop-out, although so early on i can't see it going any other way

i'm hoping that Ichika will spoiler[have a hang-up about being an alien and avoid him all episode, until the ending when he finds out and says that it doesn't matter or something close to that], although i don't think it'll turn out this way
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:35 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I'm still not sure how Mio feels about Ishigaki, but right now she just seems live a very concerned friend.

You reckon? I'm totally getting the vibe she's all about him. I'm not feeling the Ishigaki/Tanigawa thing either, I genuinely think he's trying to get her with Kai. Imma have to rewatch what we have so far and see if I've missed something glaringly obvious now!

Also yeah, didn't really enjoy episode three that much right up til that final scene. Which was awesome.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:13 pm Reply with quote
All the misunderstanding imagination scenes were funny. When they mentioned MIB, I was expecting an old white man and black guy to appear. Anyway I don't think Ishigawi has feelings for Tanigawa or he is real good at hiding it.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Did we watch the same episode three from the same show? How am I the only who got strong "Ishigaki has the hots for Tanigawa"? I mean, every time Mio talked to him she was asking if he was alright with Tanigawa crushing on Kaito.

A perfect scene pointing this out is at 13:40. Rewatch that scene and tell me again that you don't think Mio is concerned for Ishigaki and his unrequited love for Tanigawa. What his mouth is saying is completely different from his long, sad face is saying. It actually feels like they're shoving the whole thing down our throats.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Did we watch the same episode three from the same show? How am I the only who got strong "Ishigaki has the hots for Tanigawa"? I mean, every time Mio talked to him she was asking if he was alright with Tanigawa crushing on Kaito.

A perfect scene pointing this out is at 13:40. Rewatch that scene and tell me again that you don't think Mio is concerned for Ishigaki and his unrequited love for Tanigawa. What his mouth is saying is completely different from his long, sad face is saying. It actually feels like they're shoving the whole thing down our throats.
No, you're not the only one. That's definitely the impression we're supposed to be getting, in any case.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Can't remember the names well, but I am useing a list to use first names.

It is painfully obvious that spoiler[Mio likes Tetsurou, but he likes Kana, though Kana likes Kaito, and of course he likes Ichika]. It is a congo line of unrequited love. Tetsurou may care so much for spoiler[Kana that he is trying to help her get Kaito, but Mio is warning him that] he is just going to end up hurt if he does that. As can see \by being unable to see his face and obviously fake smile he alredy is getting hurt.

Well I am beginiing to really enjoy the show, I speciialy enjoy the imagine spots, they seem to have gotten funnier, I also enjoyed the bit where she was wondering why she couldn't contact Rinon.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:43 am Reply with quote
Mm, I totally missed any undertones for IshiKanna, mainly because Ishigaki himself isn't giving anything away beyond a couple of pregnant pauses and staring into the distance. I disagree that it's 'painfully obvious' that he's interested. Quite the opposite, he's keeping his cards close to his chest. On the surface, all his actions and words indicate he's not interested, but Mio is convinced. The only times the subject is even broached is when Mio brings it up because of her own feelings for him. But anyway, I went and rewatched all the episodes anyway.

In Episode 1, the first time we meet 'the gang', at round 5:30, Ishigaki actually appears to be flirting with Mio. At 6:45 he acknowledges the Kai/Kanna coupling. 12:26 he teases Mio again. At 14:10, he and Kanna are alone together for the first time. They discuss helping Kanna get with Kai, although— He does say 'The more opportunities, the better' which could be more ambiguous in the context.

Episode 2, the only scene everyone is together is getting drunk at Kai's house. And there's nothing at all to suggest and Ishigaki/Kanna pairing. There's tons of Remon being awesome though.

So then Episode 3 rocks up. At 5:45 they're talking about what happened the day before, he shows some concern towards Kanna but also mentions Kai. It's not an IshiKanna moment.

Then 8:20 is interesting, after encouraging Kanna to go see Kai, Mio brings asks how he feels about KaiKanna. There is a literal three second pause before he feigns ignorance. That's definitely suggestive. Remon turns up and ruins the moment by being too awesome.

At 12:55, Remon mentions something about 'fleeting moments of love lasting only a second, and that people need to seize the opportunities', etc... Ishi appears to stiffen up, but whether that's from taking interest in what she's saying, or because she's talking about KaiKanna, it's not obvious. Mio reaches out to him... At first I thought it was because she was acting on what Remon was saying, and creating a fleeting moment of love all of her own, but you can definitely interpret it as being concerned for Ishi. When he speaks, he sounds contemplative but not exactly cut up.

(As an aside here, I chuckled at 13:30, since from the dialogue it seems that male shop clerk has a distinctly female voice. Yes, there could be a female clerk out of shot but I did double take and have a good belly laugh.)

Then yeah, the scene at 13:55. When Mio mentions he'll get hurt, another pause, five seconds this time, before he tells her she's imagining it. It did take him a while and the mask definitely slipped.

The reason I'd missed all the undertones was because until nearly halfway through the third episode, there is little to no evidence suggesting an IshiKanna coupling. We're made very, very aware of Kai and Ichika, and Kanna and Kai, and Mio and Ishi. So it was a bit of classic misdirection that they slipped this in. I was used to having things spelled out for me from previous episodes, so it also highlights a shift in tone.

Yeah, I can definitely see it now, totally missed it first time round for all the reasons above.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:23 pm Reply with quote
The next episode preview. I knew someone had done the Boy A, Girl B routine before, but I couldn't remember who! It nagged at me for like a hour before I remembered! It was Minami-ke! Kana did a double entendre, and it started this whole rigamarole with everyone referring to people by letters, only to have everyone forget who exactly was each letter, or something. I'm sure of it. Or, that never happened and we just moved world lines again. El Psy Congroo or something like that.

Anyway, this is show is highly entertaining, even if it is not particularly original. I can't count how many sudden girlfriend appearance love triangles I've seen, but this show manages to make the old tired trope seem fresh again. The execution is wonderful. It does have a lot of the Toradora feel to it. And the gags are great. I love the way they handled the imagination scenes, and the MIB bits? "No, I don't want to be dissected!" This show is just a lot of fun, plain and simple.

And as for the love polygon, it's simple. The boring girl likes the tall dude, the tall dude has a secret crush on the bowl-cut girl, who's his childhood friend and therefore they will end up together, because that always happens in anime, the bowl-cut girl likes the indie band kid, and the indie band kid likes the space alien, the space alien has no idea what's going on, and Remon is playing the role of the catalysis for her own amusement.

\\Right now, Remon is the only character name I remember. Give me some time, and I might pick up the others.
\\\Are we sure that Remon isn't meant to be 'Lemon'? I've never heard the like before. Doesn't matter, but it would be kind of cool.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Ha, I loved the Highschool of the Dead drop. For those unaware, Masayoshi Tanaka is the character designer and animation directer for AnoNatsu, but he's also the character designer and animation director for Highschool of the Dead, so he did a little title drop. I mean, they share other key staff as well, but Tanaka is probably the one that put it in there. I just thought some might be thrown off as to why that was in there, especially since this isn't a Madhouse production.

As for the episode itself, nothing happened, and that's a bit of a let down. This show has strayed pretty far from being a typical high school drama (especially with the last episode), but this one was the usual "think it over" episode after a spoiler[love confession]. I liked the episode, but I was hoping there would've been answer, or at least some kind of new conflict. There was the misunderstanding with Tetsurou's sister, and I thought we'd get something out of that, but like Manami said, they're both incredibly dense. Ugh, if only Ichika could've said what she really wanted to, then this episode would've been fantastic!

Although, with everything I just said, I can't really disagree with what Ichika is doing. Let's be honest, she's an alien - she won't be on Earth (or maybe even in the galaxy) forever, so leaving it the way it is may be for the best. However, I think in Please Teacher spoiler[she ended up staying], but I haven't that in years, so I'm not 100% sure, so they could perhaps follow their predecessor's footsteps. The middle may be a little slow, but I feel like we'll have a very interesting last 3-4 episodes.

Also, I'd like to point out that with Manami, Tanaka has once again shown me why I think he has the most attractive female designs in anime today. Sister was hot.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:54 am Reply with quote
Mm, it was a nice summarising episode. Now that all the relationships are properly established, it's on with summer break!

Pretty sure Remon is my favourite character in any anime this season, barring possibly Madoka from Lagrange. Remon doesn't get as much screentime as the others but boy, does she make it count.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:40 am Reply with quote
I liked the Highschool of the Dead bit, made me warm up to the series a bit since the time period kind of alienates itself from me a bit. But putting a fairly recent anime as a live action movie in.... I am not sure when it is set, I am 21 so it just looks old to me Laughing .

I am kind of taken aback by Ichika's divergence, swapping from aloof to jealous, to some sort of scary tutor. She seems to very adaptive, but still she wanted to avoid the issue.

It is kind of moot to talk about Remon, she didn't get enough time to really say anything new about her, but her cute buns were nice. Reminds me of Taiga's mouse look.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9