• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli Anime Screenings Listed in Austin, Texas

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:03 am Reply with quote
I thought Sentai would be involved with this, until the article dashed my hopes by attributing it to this hitherto unknown (by me) film group, as the Alamo Draft House is where ADV held large-scale premieres back in their glory days.

Why won't they show the dubbed versions of these movies? I know the Alamo Draft House is a specialty theatre, but the subbed version limits the audience to which these showings can appeal. Maybe that's the intent, but for some of these movies I preferred the dub. Besides, showing dubbed anime there is a tradition after ADV, for reasons that I hope are obvious. Wink

IMO they could throw Redline onto the lineup.
Vracer111

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:32 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:

Alamo Draft house had the very first US showings of Redline for its premier North American showing in September of 2010...
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:18 am Reply with quote
Vracer111 wrote:
Echo_City wrote:

Alamo Draft house had the very first US showings of Redline for its premier North American showing in September of 2010...
So I seem to recall, but I ask: Is there any reason that they can't reshow it? I don't think that there is, not when they're showing movies that are over 20 years old with this current scheme. I'm all for exposure of these Ghibli movies, though I like some far more than others, but an anime fan does not live by Ghibli alone. At least not an honest one. Cool Laughing

Having seen Redline on the big screen and at home, it definitely should be seen on the former. I felt it lost something on the smaller scale, but the Ghibli films don't (IMO) seem to loose very much, if anything, when viewed on a TV. Princess Mononoke was about thinking through the characters' motivations and the implications of the movie (and frustrating Disney lol). It wasn't about being "wowed" with spectacular visuals, as was Redline. In fact, I'd think a smaller screen would be better for Mononoke as the CG in it did NOT age well. It was abhorrent then, and it is worse now.

I'm not asserting that the Ghibli films shouldn't be shown, or that Redline should be shown in lieu of them, or any other sort of "either/or" scenario. I simply would like to see broader exposure of anime movies. Of course, if this event in Austin is specifically for the showing of Ghibli (as I feel it could be) as opposed to a greater presentation of animated film (as I feel that it should be), then of course my comments here are moot, though I'd submit that they're wasting opportunities here regardless.

They're doing something anime-related with the theatre, something that I feared was left undone with the downfall of ADV. That's worth something.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:15 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
I'm not asserting that the Ghibli films shouldn't be shown, or that Redline should be shown in lieu of them, or any other sort of "either/or" scenario. I simply would like to see broader exposure of anime movies. Of course, if this event in Austin is specifically for the showing of Ghibli (as I feel it could be) as opposed to a greater presentation of animated film (as I feel that it should be), then of course my comments here are moot, though I'd submit that they're wasting opportunities here regardless.

They're doing something anime-related with the theatre, something that I feared was left undone with the downfall of ADV. That's worth something.

Not sure if you knew this (it was kind of hard decrypting the gist of your posts), but Alamo Drafthouse is actually a chain of theatres, several of which carry the "Anime at the Alamo" program, which has been showcasing anime titles on the big screen for free every Tuesday for years. Apparently they got a new sponsor in FUNimation back in 2008.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:20 am Reply with quote
how fun!

It'll be good to rewatch these movies on the big screen Very Happy
now I just gotta figure out which ones Anime hyper
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:07 am Reply with quote
Boston, MA's Museum of Fine Art is in the middle of a two week Ghibli festival/screening. I didn't see it posted here before, and tried to send info via twitter, but I'll post here too I guess:

http://www.mfa.org/programs/series/castles-sky-miyazaki-takahata-and-masters-studio-ghibli
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1