• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Koi Kaze Impressions

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching Koi Kaze last night, and have to say this is one of the best series I've seen. Many moments made me cringe and grimace. But the story is so good, I almost forgot about the brother/sister thing.

The ending was a complete surprise to me. I dind't expect it to turn out that was whatsoever. I liked it, but this can't be the end. Does the manga go any further than this?
Celestial_Jade

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:10 pm Reply with quote
so that means i should continue with it? after seeing him doing what he did after smelling her bra it made me sick lol! i bought dvds 1 & 2 but im VERY hesitant to watch the rest... how many dvds is it all together?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shinobi X

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Hey Bruce Lee, is Koi Kaze really that good? I need to know so I can look forward into this anime. The two things I need to know is that is the story really good? Also is the animation good?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:26 am Reply with quote
@Celestial_Jade: Yeah, I was grimacing at that part. It could have gone 2 ways from there - The slap/hammer him Love Hina style, or it's own course. I'm happy to say it chose the latter.
I was into the story, and liking it enough until the last episode of disk 2 - that's when it all came together for me. spoiler[When Nanoka actually verbally expressed her feelings towards Koushirou and I saw the whole exchange that took place there in his room]. From then on I was hooked even more. It only gets better from there on out character and story wise. Content wise... lets just say it's more intense. Regardless, I actually found myself pulling for both of them at points in the story. It was an excellent romance story - one of the best I've seen. It's highly recomended... If you can get past the obvious.

@Shinobi X: IMO, the story is awesome. Besides for said uncomfortable-ness, it was excellent. The characters were excellent - they were real and very believable.
The animation is also very good. All of the characters have thier own look, and it's not one I've seen before. I like the style very much. The show also has a nice soft pastel color pallet that works well with the music, the seasons, and the characters.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:11 am Reply with quote
Bruce Lee wrote:
Does the manga go any further than this?

Nope. Actually, in manga spoiler[their sexual relationship did not happen until the very end. No more story after that event.]

It was hilarious to see spoiler[how Koushirou proposed to have sex with Nanoka. Laughing I wonder if any girl other than Nanoka would give him a nod.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:07 am Reply with quote
I really liked it--I'm glad to have it on DVD (not DLed or fansubbed), because it's not like most of the titles out there; no battles, no robots, no hapless guy walking in on numerous naked girls. . .thus, it's a good thing that Geneon took a chance on it. Sure, it was disturbing, but the romance and the emotional power were there. I say pick up the last DVD, to the other poster--there are only 3 total, so it's a good-value series. But can anyone clear this up for me? In the last episode spoiler[the two draw something on a tree and write their names by it. If I don't miss my guess, I think that's a marriage diagram. Anyone know for sure?]
Key

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:56 am Reply with quote
It is, without contest, the best-written anime title released in America this year and maybe the best-written anime romance I've ever seen. The sense of timing and use of dialogue and characterizations are all exquisite, and the emotional payoff in the next-to-last episode is substantial. Also has one of the year's best English dubs.

If the manga really ended with the events of the next-to-last episode then I'm glad the anime producers tacked on the What Happens After part. The story wouldn't have felt complete without dealing with the potential fallout of that next-to-last episode and showing where their stories were headed. It is open-ended? Sure, but I don't see how it could have ended properly any other way. (Favorite moment: when spoiler[Nanoka's friends are talking about following her to find out who her boyfriend is and the one, rather fearfully begs that they don't.])
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:52 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
...the best-written anime romance I've ever seen.

Key wrote:
If the manga really ended with the events of the next-to-last episode then I'm glad the anime producers tacked on the What Happens After part. The story wouldn't have felt complete without dealing with the potential fallout of that next-to-last episode and showing where their stories were headed.

Key has spoken out what I wanted to say (got nothing else to say...). Smile The ending of manga was more traditional and predictable, but that of anime was much better, for... (see below)

Key wrote:
Favorite moment:

...when spoiler[Nanoka bid farewell to Koushirou saying she's going to return to her home. Both knew the relationship wouldn't last forever, yet they had transformed an one-night intimacy into eternal love.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:26 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
But can anyone clear this up for me? In the last episode spoiler[the two draw something on a tree and write their names by it. If I don't miss my guess, I think that's a marriage diagram. Anyone know for sure?]

Like dormcat, pretty much anything I have to say has already been said - but I believe I can answer this question.

It's been a while since I saw it, but I seem to recall that spoiler[they drew a "love umbrella". This is a stylized umbrella (a triangle with a descending line) with two names under it - the Japanese equivalent of a heart with an arrow through it and two names.]

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shinobi X

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Bruce Lee wrote:

@Shinobi X: IMO, the story is awesome. Besides for said uncomfortable-ness, it was excellent. The characters were excellent - they were real and very believable.
The animation is also very good. All of the characters have thier own look, and it's not one I've seen before. I like the style very much. The show also has a nice soft pastel color pallet that works well with the music, the seasons, and the characters.

Awesome to hear that. I'll be looking forward to this anime. Thanks for replying Bruce Lee. Now how am I going to find where they sell the Koi Kaze DVD's? Know about the online stuff but can't use Credit Cards. DAMNN! I get bad luck.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1