• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pandora's Cube Owner Sentenced to Prison Time for Piracy

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I've always wondered how they determined the fines. Why the extra $0.05?
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Yay! As much as I support X-Box modding on principle, Pandora's Cube was managed by horrible people who deserved bad things happening to them.
biliano

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:38 pm Reply with quote
This make me wonder how much longer Pandora's Cube will stay in business. Hopefully not for long!
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:22 pm Reply with quote
CrackaJax wrote:
I've always wondered how they determined the fines. Why the extra $0.05?

Because they watched Full Metal Panic. Wink

Article wrote:
Mr. Amin was also fined $247,237.05.

Sgt. Mjr. Melissa Mao wrote:
My, a bit exact, aren't we?

Damn. Well, he can obviously pay for it, seeing as how there's a lot of stupid people who'll pay God-knows-how-much for pirated games. They probably had some customers who thought they were buying legit products. The ex-owners of Pandora's Cube are sleazy criminals who should all be exiled to Iraq to die.
Aresef

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:07 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
This make me wonder how much longer Pandora's Cube will stay in business. Hopefully not for long!

They were absent at Otakon, and with so many of their higher-ups locked up, not to mention the stigma created by this, they likely won't be around much longer.
Stueypark

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:15 pm Reply with quote
They were at Katsucon at their court ordered "don't bootleg anime and games" table. Their stores seem to have gone legit now too, they've gotten rid of their illegal stuff, like the rentable fansubs.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:14 am Reply with quote
I think it was more the preloading of pirated games on the modded xboxs that got them nailed. the DMCA on modchips was just icing on the cake.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Panoptican

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:31 am Reply with quote
I used to live in Cedar Rapids, Iowa where there was this store called Video Game Depot. I was looking through their selection of anime when I noticed quite a few bootleg anime (although their video games and systems all seemed legit). When I asked one of the workers if he knew that they were selling bootlegs he replied yes. I couldn't believe it. I then asked him if he realized that selling bootlegs was illegal. Now this is where it gets funny. He argued that it wasn't illegal. He even said in his defense that it's legal in china! Needless to say I haven't been back since (it's been maybe a year now). It would make me very happy if that place got busted.
Joshman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I used to work at a Gamestop in the DC-VA-MD, and one time a few of these Pandora's Cube guys came in (I recognized them from conventions like Otakon and Katsucon) and tried to get us to match prices with a place they "heard of" called Pandora's Cube.

Of course they didn't succeed cause that wasn't company policy and we all knew it was a scam, but I couldn't help thinking "Pandora's Cube beating anybody's price, yeah right".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1