• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nisemonogatari (with index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how many of you have watched Avatar: The Last Airbender, but the cycle of Avatar goes that when the old one dies a new one is immediately born. I think what happens to Tsukihi is that spoiler[when the previous one dies the Phoenix is immediately reborn into another Tsukihi and the cycles goes on forever. So Tsukihi lives forever, but she's not the same Tsukihi each time she's reborn. I'm not sure, though, weather or not she keeps her memories since current Tsukihi does seem to be oblivious to her surroundings. In Avatar, the current Avatar is able to communicate and see the lives of the past ones in a spiritual way that requires a lot of meditation even though they're not the same person, and I don't think the Phoenix/Tsukihi is the same person each time. I think she might not be able to see them (the memories), but she may have access to them like repressed memories or something. My explanation for why she's able to regernate is the reincarnation only takes place when she dies a natural, human death like a heart attack or being hit by a car.]

That's my guess, at least.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least it appears that I'm not the only one who is unsure. I was worried it was ultra-obvious and I just wasn't cluing in. Shocked
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:03 pm Reply with quote
鬼のお兄ちゃん、あなたはよくよく不死身の怪異に縁があるようだね。 あなたの妹は不死身の化鳥に侵されている。あれは端からあなたの妹ではなく人間であって人間でない. あそこのあれは世にも珍しい火の鳥、邪悪なるフェニックスだよ。

I’m pretty sure this is the line that is causing all the confusion: “From the start that was not your little sister; it is neither human nor non-human.” (Pardon my terrible 30 second translation.) If anyone in this thread has an excellent understanding of Japanese, please take a look at this line and see if there is something I am missing.

I’m inclined to side with Blood-‘s interpretation of Tsukihi, although I am also not sure because the line comes off as rather ambiguous.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I am thinking that it is the possibility that the phoenix spoiler[snuck into the family some period of time as Tsukihi, either it snuck in before birth, or at some point Karen and Koyomi sudenly had a younger sister. Although if those are true then there is the fact now Tsukihi has recovered previous scars, so it is awakening.]

Probably nitpicking, but I seemed to think that Tsukihi's name is a bit different to Karen's and Koyomi's, apparently her name means fire of the moon, which seems indicative of her related odity.
Ikari1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:27 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I am thinking that it is the possibility that the phoenix spoiler[snuck into the family some period of time as Tsukihi, either it snuck in before birth, or at some point Karen and Koyomi sudenly had a younger sister. Although if those are true then there is the fact now Tsukihi has recovered previous scars, so it is awakening.]

Probably nitpicking, but I seemed to think that Tsukihi's name is a bit different to Karen's and Koyomi's, apparently her name means fire of the moon, which seems indicative of her related odity.

It has to have been there from the beggining really like you said because Araragi is shown to have a close bond with his sisters which I think is important. I think that perhaps alot of the touchy feely scenes and the indifference that Araragi and his sisters shows to it all is perhaps one way of showing this (aside from being fan service).

Araragi would have noticed if something was different in the same way he noticed straight away that his sister's scars had healed.

It's obviously not a harmful supernatural monster, unlessspoiler[ Tsukihi somehow has some kind of resisitance to it due to growing up with it.]

The other thing to consider is how much of Araragi's powers remain. We have never seen him move like he did in the previous episode. The scene where Shinobu's hat goes flying points out that he has moved with some extreme speed there.

Um another thing I noticed is that The monster hunter woman at this point never touches the floor. Perhaps this is her weakness ?
Ferian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote
At the beginning of episode 8, there was a pic of Tsukihi in a womb shown when Koyomi mentioned she's spoiler[immortal. That is when the phoenix may have snuck in - before her birth. So Tsukihi is a human merged with a phoenix, or the phoenix has been "reborn" as Tsukihi. Either way, the oddity was there from the start.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Ah, and the epic series is finally over. Although short, I enjoyed it alot more than I thought. I originally watched Bakemonogatari about a year ago and wasn't too impressed @ the time. I guess I wasn't too used to Shaft's style and its uniqueness of anime.

After watching this series recently on CR, it deserves a season 3 imo. But now that it's over...I am platinum mad!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:19 pm Reply with quote
There's one episode left, isn't there?
Ferian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:42 pm Reply with quote
No, 11 was the final episode.

Thank you, Nisemonogatari, for leveling up my fetishes.

spoiler[Dat Ponytail.]
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
The encyclopedia lists it as 12, but that's incorrect. Shinbo himself has said it's 11 eps. Though I would get a kick out of it if that was a fake and there really was 12 eps Anime hyper
Shiney

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

I believe this was the final episode for Nisemonogatari, the solicited JP release also have a total of 11 episodes.

Also, Shinbo did say in a interview that it was going to be 11 episodes total ( I think the article was either posted on ANN or AoD, not sure anymore Razz ), so I would be surprised to see anything until Kizumonogatari.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, it did say "to be continued" before the credits, but that could be "fake" too. By the way, what was the deal with spoiler[the girl on the beach (who is supposed to be his girlfriend)? Was the idea that "she" was supposed to look briefly like each of the girls in his harem? Because she mostly looked like Suruga Kanbaru] to me.
Ferian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Umm... It's kinda hard to break this to you but... spoiler[it was Hitagi with her new haircut. That should have been obvious from the "girlfriend" part.]
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Hmm, it did say "to be continued" before the credits, but that could be "fake" too. By the way, what was the deal with spoiler[the girl on the beach (who is supposed to be his girlfriend)? Was the idea that "she" was supposed to look briefly like each of the girls in his harem? Because she mostly looked like Suruga Kanbaru] to me.
I'm with you in that it looked awfully a lot like Kanbaru, though I was pretty sure it was supposed to be Senjogahara. That had me really confused though Confused
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:40 pm Reply with quote
So Tsukihi is more technicly some sort of spoiler[monster cookoo bird], I wonder if that sounds slightly less silly in japanese. I got the feeling that a lot of the fight will get put in the home release then what was here. It did say to be continued, I am of the hope that they will throw an extra episode to show Koyomi showing his girlfriend, or do some online releases like they did in the first season with Tsubasa Cat.

Blood- wrote:
By the way, what was the deal with spoiler[the girl on the beach (who is supposed to be his girlfriend)? Was the idea that "she" was supposed to look briefly like each of the girls in his harem? Because she mostly looked like Suruga Kanbaru] to me.

Look at me, now look at the Nisemonogatari Encyclopedia page, back to me, look now at this larger version, look now at my link here, now look at both pictures. It is safe to say that his girlfriend is in fact Senjougahara. Actually I think that there may have been some foreshadowing in the op song, might just be my imagination but a background effect really sounds like the cutting of hair. Youtube video that I don't know whether breaks the rules on this site. Also short Hair is M *insert kagerou emoticon*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 16