• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Editor: Nyaruko-san Books Have 1 Million+ in Print

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nhat

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Funny show... it's definitely a good watch if you want some laughs.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Why oh why does Japan get all the awesome/cool/funny novels, while over here in the west we're stuck with Twilight and shitty fanfic being published professionaly?

It just isn't fair, I say.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
This book blows and so does the anime. I caught a lot of crap for saying it in the preview thread, but I don't care. Lovecraft doesn't need this inane drivel poaching his awesome mythos.

Incidentally, I recently saw this "anime-inspired" video (NSFW):
http://youtu.be/6QFwo57WKwg?hd=1
Now that's Lovecraft done right! Twisted Evil

God damnit Japan, I know you have it in you. Why can't we have more anime of this kind? I'm sure it'd have the otaku shitting in their pants and making their boners fall off, but it would be epic! People complain about milquetoast male leads, I say this is how to handle them and crappy moeblobs! Kill two birds with one stone! Do it Lovecraft style! Twisted Evil
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
@dragon695

Some people either were born without a funny bone or do not comprehend what a parody is about.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:47 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
@dragon695

Some people either were born without a funny bone or do not comprehend what a parody is about.

Yes, yes we all know about parody. Gee, I wonder what Japan will think of next to rip off and turn into a show about cute things. A-Hyuck Hyuck. Like we haven't seen it a million times. Rolling Eyes

On the other hand, an anime that was a true adaptation of Lovecraft, that was truly nightmare-inducing horror would be fairly fresh and exciting,
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:49 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
This book blows and so does the anime. I caught a lot of crap for saying it in the preview thread, but I don't care. Lovecraft doesn't need this inane drivel poaching his awesome mythos.

I'm going to guess you haven't read the book.

Quote:
God damnit Japan, I know you have it in you. Why can't we have more anime of this kind? I'm sure it'd have the otaku shitting in their pants and making their boners fall off, but it would be epic! People complain about milquetoast male leads, I say this is how to handle them and crappy moeblobs! Kill two birds with one stone! Do it Lovecraft style! Twisted Evil

Yes, because Saya no Uta totally doesn't exist.

Quote:
On the other hand, an anime that was a true adaptation of Lovecraft, that was truly nightmare-inducing horror would be fairly fresh and exciting,

Yes, a direct adaption of 70 year old books is "fresh and exciting"
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:57 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
@dragon695

Yes, yes we all know about parody. Gee, I wonder what Japan will think of next to rip off and turn into a show about cute things. A-Hyuck Hyuck. Like we haven't seen it a million times. Rolling Eyes

So parody=cute oooookkkk, let me introduce you to a nice cushioned room and a nice shirt with long sleeves and without pockets.
superdry

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:02 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

It's been thought of already. It just hasn't been adapted to anime form yet.

Quote:

Well, the current Nyaruko anime seems to be a nightmare-inducing horror for people like you, so, it's actually working out that way.
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:09 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

I'm going to guess you haven't read the book.

Figured you'd show up. As a matter of fact, I haven't. But if it is anything like the anime, I don't care to.
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Yes, because Saya no Uta totally doesn't exist.

Hmm, is that recent anime? Oh, its a VN, thanks for the rec I hadn't heard of it. Still, would certainly like to see more pure horror anime.
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Yes, a direct adaption of 70 year old books is "fresh and exciting"

Well, old can be new when applied in a vacuum. Anime certainly could use a good enema.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:13 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

Figured you'd show up. As a matter of fact, I haven't. But if it is anything like the anime, I don't care to.

Quote:
This book blows

So why are you making direct statements about its quality?
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:25 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
dragon695 wrote:

Quote:
This book blows

So why are you making direct statements about its quality?

Its a comedy about Lovecraft elder gods. Call me skeptical, but if the anime is a true adaption that all the otaku are making it out to be, I don't think the source material above inane drivel. It is kind of like how I don't need to read Twilight to know it blows based on having to sit through the movies with my ex. It is my opinion and you are free to disagree, as I know you do.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:29 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

Its a comedy about Lovecraft elder gods. Call me skeptical, but if the anime is a true adaption that all the otaku are making it out to be, I don't think the source material above inane drivel. It is kind of like how I don't need to read Twilight to know it blows based on having to sit through the movies with my ex. It is my opinion and you are free to disagree, as I know you do.

I'm not the one who only shows up to whine about how icky Otaku are and how their taste sucks.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:04 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
Its a comedy about Lovecraft elder gods.

Repeat after me, pa-ro-dy. Parodies might be comical, but not all comedies are parodies nor all parodies are comical.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:36 am Reply with quote
Maybe it's because I have never read anything from Lovecraft, but I am finding the T.V. Anime of Nyaruko-san to be funny. It's pure parody and not supposed to be taken seriously in anything it does. Plus I like how the girl is the perverted/crazy one, although the male lead is still a clichéd drag. But I don't watch the show for him, I watch it for his MILF of a mother. Oh, and the Yuri overtones.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1