• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What manga series can you think of that are currently on Hiatus?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Speedy_J

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:11 am Reply with quote
If anyone here can name any series that you know of that are on hiatus, can you list them? Also, has there been any series that came out of it that you can recall?

And is there currently any series you would like to see come out of Hiatus?

Also, what is the difference between Hiatus and canceled?
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:26 am Reply with quote
Well, Yami no Matsuei recently came back from a, what, 8-year hiatus?
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:47 am Reply with quote
haiatus usually means theres the intention of it coming back. Stuff like battle angel alita: last order went on haiatus over creative differences but came back after the title switched publisher wich is why viz no longer puts it out and kodansha usa is taking over at years end. Other times its because the auther becomes ill as i hear manga-ka is a very intensive job.

I can think of vagabond, black lagoon and nana though vagabond is supposedly underway again and rei hiroe of black lagoon has talked of getting it going again.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:02 am Reply with quote
You mean break in publishing or writing?
If the latter- many of the series were put on hiatus due to author's health issues -Nana and HunterxHunetr now the best known example.
For some series there were either problems with publishing or completely no explanation Hellsing: The Dawn, Glass Mask, Crest of the Pharaoh.
NeburPT

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:08 am Reply with quote
Aside from the examples you all have already given, Shamo has ended a 4 year hiatus last year due to "creative differences" that involved a lawsuit between the writer and artist of the title. I don't know if CLAMP's X would also count...

Vagabond has resumed publishing a couple of months ago, so the one I'm most looking forward to end right now is Nana, that cliffhanger is almost on Berserk's Eclipse level...

The difference between hiatus and cancelling a series is that in the first the series is being put on hold to later resume at an unspecified date, while in the second it's gone for good mainly by an editorial decision (it wasn't popular enough or contained controversial content, for example).
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:00 am Reply with quote
would love for somone to publish shamo in english its been a good read so far
SailorButterfly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:44 am Reply with quote
Nana definitely came to my mind, too. I want that to continue so badly. Every now and then, I search to see if it's started back up. Guess the other comments in this thread means it still hasn't. *sigh* Gonna have to pray for the manga-ka's health to improve so she can get back to it! Laughing
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:27 pm Reply with quote
The Hetalia Manga is on Hiatus for the most part, that is until if and when Tokyo Pop finally gives the rights to someone worthy of them. (Because they're obviously not worthy of the best comedy ever.)
Ensof

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:08 pm Reply with quote
It has been 3-4 years since Mohiro Kitoh worked on Owari to Hajimari no Miles, the series he began after Bokurano. It's a light-hearted, somewhat risque fantasy with huge potential.

Frustratingly, in the meantime he has primarily focused on Noririn, a cliched series devoted to cycling. Hero once liked cycling, now dislikes cycling and cyclists, gets forced into cycling again through contrived circumstances, proves to be naturally good at it, begins to enjoy it, and I think we all know where this is heading. Not surprisingly cycling is Kitoh's main activity away from manga. Sometimes hobbies should remain just that - hobbies.

Kitoh has also begun Nanika Mochigattemasu ka, a return to his old theme of adolescents with dangerous powers. Admittedly it's very good, but it does make the hiatus on Owari to Hajimari no Miles start to look permanent. Man I wish he'd give Noririn a rest.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:04 pm Reply with quote
SailorButterfly wrote:
Nana definitely came to my mind, too. I want that to continue so badly. Every now and then, I search to see if it's started back up. Guess the other comments in this thread means it still hasn't. *sigh* Gonna have to pray for the manga-ka's health to improve so she can get back to it! Laughing

The unfortunate thing about NANA is that from the wording when everything happened, there seems to be a question about whether Ai Yazawa will ever be able to continue it Sad

And yeah, X is a big one by CLAMP but they have others. Last time I checked their website (which was awhile ago, admittedly) they listed Legal Drug and Clover as still being on-going titles, though neither of them had been worked on for a long time (at least not to the extent that anything was published).
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:19 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
SailorButterfly wrote:

The unfortunate thing about NANA is that from the wording when everything happened, there seems to be a question about whether Ai Yazawa will ever be able to continue it Sad

And yeah, X is a big one by CLAMP but they have others. Last time I checked their website (which was awhile ago, admittedly) they listed Legal Drug and Clover as still being on-going titles, though neither of them had been worked on for a long time (at least not to the extent that anything was published).

Actually, Legal Drug's been back since last November, under the name "Drug & Drop"
RGaspar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:52 pm Reply with quote
The manga of Neon Genesis Evangelion is infamous for being into hiatus all the time. It started in 1994 and it hasn't ended yet (though, they are finally close to doing so). There are only 12 volumes out there, so go figure =/

To-Love-Ru
basically went into hiatus due to low ratings and lack of popularity. The second series, To-Love-Ru Darkness, it's more of a new perspective of the same work than a proper sequel.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
From the author directly? Or on hiatus from the publisher? If it's the publisher then I'll say Eden, MPD Psycho, and Ghost Talker's Daydream. I probably sound like a broken record around here with these manga, but I wish Dark Horse would at least let readers know if they ever plan to finish these series. I thought Kurosagi Corpse Delievery Service was going to suffer the same fate, but a volume came out earlier this year and volume 13 is solicited for November (I think). Eden has only 5 remaining volumes, while GTD only has 4. MPD is still ongoing I believe. So frustrating Evil or Very Mad .
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote
RGaspar wrote:

To-Love-Ru basically went into hiatus due to low ratings and lack of popularity. The second series, To-Love-Ru Darkness, it's more of a new perspective of the same work than a proper sequel.

I thought it was because the author's ex basically destroyed his life
Speedy_J

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Well after 5 years of not reading manga or watching anime I decided to make a comeback. A manga I recently read and finished just now was Highschool Of The Dead. And that has been on a hiatus since last year am I right?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2