• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo 2012 - The Future of Anime Expo panel

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANNs Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The first project discussed was Battle Bots, which is planned for next year's AX. Battle Bots are fighting robots that are remote-controlled and piloted through a camera in the robot's cockpit. Unfortunately, the person in charge of the project could not attend the panel.

Thanks but no thanks. I am not interested in "Battle Bots" or anything like that. Besides, paying for the convention fees, parking, and food is enough. I don't want them to jack up the price of convention fee just to throw in any of these "gimmicks" unless they are funded or sponsored by someone else.

Quote:
Secondly, guests of honor were discussed. Wilson stated that the SPJA was considering inviting a few "wild card" guests of honor, who would be non-Japanese guests that are not involved with anime, but were otherwise influential in the larger entertainment world. Wilson emphasized that they did not wish to be like San Diego Comic Con, and to wished to keep emphasis on anime and manga, but considered that anime was, in turn, influenced by some Western artists.

It sounds to me like Anime Expo is going Comic Con on us!!
Kidding, but seriously, if they ever consider inviting "non-Japanese guests that are not involved with anime", make sure they pertain to geekdom. Anyone who has a heart for video games, comics, art and/or Anime(if possible) is fine on my watch. Go outside that, and you have just sold out the fans for sheer fame and publicity of your convention. If Anime Expo goes mainstream and becomes the next "Comic"(Holly)con, you can count me out.
lostrune

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
ANNs Citizen wrote:
It sounds to me like Anime Expo is going Comic Con on us!!

Reminds me when I saw Nostalgia Critic and freaking Linkara as guests to an anime con once. Scraping the bottom of that guest panel barrel much, guys? Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1