• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Joshiraku (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volibear

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quote

Joshiraku (TV)

Genres: comedy, slice of life
Themes: parody

Plot Summary: Marii, Kigurumi, Tetora, Kukuru, and Gankyō are apprentices at a Rakugo theater, a classic form of Japanese comedy. When they're not on the stage, they're making random banter about everyday life, from the reason the kanji for "dog" is the way it is, to the confusing signs that lead to Akihabara.
----------------------------------

Ep. 1
Well, my final show to start watching this season, seems odd almost everything started in the first week, usually its spread over 2.

This almost didn't last beyond the first few minutes though, spoiler[asking the audience why they are even watching a dialogue heavy show with no action when it'd be better just to read it] isn't the best way to start a show when its 3 in the morning and i'm quite tired. And it gets even worse when it rather bores me, almost to sleep at one stage. It kinda reminded me of how tedious i found the beginning to Lucky Star, after 10 hard-fought minutes i had to stop watching that and it was very similar here.

Think i'll scratch this one off the list.

Edit: From what i hear this show isn't really meant for people who don't have an deep understanding of Japanese and Japanese culture, alot of the jokes and humour apparently get lost in translation, so this maybe something to avoid if your like me and your knowledge of Japanese culture and language is limited or non-existent.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:36 am Reply with quote
Didn't really mind the show. I have seen the "hey we are getting an anime, but why?" thing done before, of note in Seitokai no Ichizon, and I was reminded somewhat of that, but with less harem hijinks and otaku stuff. I actually enjoyed the conversations, I have picked up some bits of Japanese culture from shows, and similar to what I thought from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, I might look forward to learning more about the culture. Even though I understand some bits will be skewed.

I think that it might have been one of my first times seeing Snoopy referenced in an anime.

@Volibear
Why have you been making threads for every anime that you have seen this season, especially since you said you had trouble with this episode?
Volibear

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:09 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
@Volibear
Why have you been making threads for every anime that you have seen this season, especially since you said you had trouble with this episode?

I haven't, i've watched every series airing this season and only made threads for anything i had a real opinion on, be it more negative or positive, shows like Muv-Luv and Oda Nobuna I didn't really have anything to say about so i didn't make threads or contribute to the existing ones

Also, i'm a uni student, and uni has finished now for the next 3 or so months for me and i've got nothing to do, no one will hire someone just for a couple of months were i live, everything is permanent positions so i can't get a job to occupy me until uni starts again, so all i do all day is sit at home, watching anime and playing some LoL and Skyrim. And its really not all that fun, i'd much rather have a job instead. So i've been trying to find ways to occupy myself.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:25 am Reply with quote
Volibear wrote:
Also, i'm a uni student, and uni has finished now for the next 3 or so months for me and i've got nothing to do, no one will hire someone just for a couple of months were i live, everything is permanent positions so i can't get a job to occupy me until uni starts again, so all i do all day is sit at home, watching anime and playing some LoL and Skyrim. And its really not all that fun, i'd much rather have a job instead. So i've been trying to find ways to occupy myself.

Must have been someone else I was thinking of that was making posts, really I just feel exhausted from this day's anime, even if I was just looking for things to do. Been feeling that it is odd figuring what is worth discussing some times only a few get a thread, and now everything seems to be getting a thread.

I am in a similar boat in that my TAFE has finished, and it looks like I will spend the rest of the year with online courses, getting driver's license and I don't know what before moving. I actually spent yesterday playing Skyrim, got a character to maximize smithing, and then felt empty.

Anyway on topic, I kind of like the style here, of course it is J.C. Staff, and I often enjoy their comedies. And this at least won't be one of their harems, the often do.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:35 am Reply with quote
Volibear wrote:
...so all i do all day is sit at home, watching anime and playing some LoL and Skyrim.

Kinda sounds like Paradise to me. Wink You have the rest of your life after graduation to work, enjoy this interlude while it lasts! Also, Volibear can start up as many anime discussion threads as he/she likes, because he/she uses the proper OP format.

eta on-topicness: I dropped this show after about 5 minutes.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:12 am Reply with quote
I might continue this. the culture and language jokes do miss much of the time but some of the jokes and satire were great.

I thought beginning the chat session with reasons why you shouldn't watch the show was brilliant. They did the job of a couple of ANN's reviewers in those couple minutes and the continuing emphasis that they're sitting around talking so the viewer will notice how cut they are was also great.

I at least prefer their delivery much more than Seitokai no Ichizon, which got so obnoxious that I didn't bother with a second episode.

And I was thinking they might have actually been directly spoofing the first episode of Lucky Star with their food talk and the girl trying desperately to get them to stop that "boring talk."

Then there was the flipping paper gag.
spoiler[Ordinance Regarding the Healthy Development of Youths] - No, that doesn't apply to us.

nice.

Fansubbers apparently did some good work too, most likely adapting and localizing that "tissue" joke themselves from something that would have probably made no sense if translated literally.

It wasn't great though, so I'm not sure if I'm going to want to continue searching out the fansubs. I was hoping to only watch streaming this season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
superdry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:34 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I have picked up some bits of Japanese culture from shows, and similar to what I thought from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, I might look forward to learning more about the culture. Even though I understand some bits will be skewed.

This show. Wow...you really need to be fluent in Japanese, culture and humor to understand a lot of what's going on. If you're not fluent in Japanese, I can see some of the wordplay and puns that can't be exactly translated be over some people's head (including mine when watching it).

Luckily, some of it is pretty easy to pick up though, but whatever a viewer doesn't get will probably just go "huh?" and be bored until a scene change. Props to the translator adapting some of the puns into English.

For example, one thing that requires cultural knowledge is the whole shamisen scene after talking about cats and dogs. If you don't know anything about the shamisen, that scene would look rather strange, but if you know how the shamisen is constructed then it makes sense.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I actually first heard about this a few weeks ago when I saw a news link under Tanaka's info page that said he was working on a new show. So I pretty much just threw it in the pile of shows to watch because of him doing the character designs, but I like this.

It reminds of the first time I watched Lucky Star when I first started getting into anime, and even though a lot of the jokes and their "true" meanings flew over my head, I was able to grab enough to enjoy it. Of course, the big difference here is that Lucky Star made a lot of anime references, and nowadays I get those because I watch a lot anime, but straight up Japan and it's culture jokes are still beyond me since I'm not really all that interested in Japan itself (which I know makes me an oddball amongst anime fans).

So I'll probably hang with this since I get enough to lightly laugh (I'm sure gg's subs help a lot too), and, as strange as it sounds, I could just look at Tanaka's work for 25 minutes and not feel robbed of anything. I can also look forward to that kickass ED every week. That's definitely my favorite theme song so far going by all the first episode airings. I'll see what sticks with me by the middle of the season, but that'll most definitely be up there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
For example, one thing that requires cultural knowledge is the whole shamisen scene after talking about cats and dogs. If you don't know anything about the shamisen, that scene would look rather strange, but if you know how the shamisen is constructed then it makes sense.

I actually got that bit, my knowledge comes from a bit of looking up from Haruhi. I actually thought that you did not necessarily need to get the joke as some of the girls did not seem to understand what she was implying.
superdry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
superdry wrote:

I actually got that bit, my knowledge comes from a bit of looking up from Haruhi. I actually thought that you did not necessarily need to get the joke as some of the girls did not seem to understand what she was implying.

It's not so much of a joke to get, but more of a reference for the viewer since they sort of segued from talking about cats and dogs to Gan using a shamisen while still on the topic.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I understood that part for the exact same reasons, DP!

*HIGH FIVE*
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:23 am Reply with quote
Episode 2
At least I am still liking this show, of course there is the odd bit that is a bit hard to understand some because of requiring intimate knowledge of the language or culture. Although you can still catch some. I liked how there was a deformed version of the spoiler[McDonalads] tune with the pixelated spoiler[Ronald].

My favourite bit was having the yellow haired girl (Kigurumi) was spoiler[shown to act cute to meet their expectations, and sounded rather gruff on the inside.] Laughing
The wackiness is also plenty of fun, going from subject to subject at weird tangents is fun, now to let my entire idea of Japanese people be based off of these exaggerated characters.

Oh, also liked the bit about the black haired girl (Kukuru) spoiler[trying to use the power of her mind, and ended up turning herself crazy with having some sort of psychological childbirth.] It is like something out of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Laughing

I was also thinking that it was interesting that the opening song uses a phrase that would be at the end of their comedic performance, while the ending song uses one for the beginning of the performance. I wonder why they did that.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:16 pm Reply with quote
If even some of the humor relies on Japanese specific references, Gintama did the exact same brand of humor and it's still funny. When they do general observational humor, I don't see how it's incomprehensible, or when they do gags like elephants in the room.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I actually got most of this episode. I think the only parts really lost on me was when they were in the tower. The station mascot joke and the farm joke was beyond me. Oh, and when they started naming off doctors (I caught Black Jack, but that's it). Everything else, though, I got, and as a result I laughed my ass off.
noragrace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:25 am Reply with quote
It is one of my favorite tv show. I have watched this show daily basis. Thanks for the great posting....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2