• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Character Arc de Triumph

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:17 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:
Answerman: Where anime fans gather weekly to argue!

Anime fans do not need to gather weekly to argue. If you go to 4Chan or a particular site that ends with -Suki, you will see that they argue by the minute, or faster.

You forgot Sankaku Complex.
amagee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that nothing much has been said in regards to the innate cultural difference between those of us here engaged in the discussions and the Japanese culture which produced the material that instigated this entire debate (unless I missed it in the 5 full pages of stuff in which case...whoops! Laughing).
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

I don't even want to know about Sankaku Complex, except what this hilarious and scathing review of the site tells me.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:29 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:

I don't even want to know about Sankaku Complex, except what this hilarious and scathing review of the site tells me.

Wow, that was hilarious. The British accent just makes it even funnier.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:43 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:
Answerman: Where anime fans gather weekly to argue!

Anime fans do not need to gather weekly to argue. If you go to 4Chan or a particular site that ends with -Suki, you will see that they argue by the minute, or faster.

anime fans are like scifi nerds or Trekkie's. Even if something does go right for 90% of the fan-base there will always be that 10% that bitches about every little thing and never be happy no matter what happens. We are amongst the hardest fan-base in any form of media to appease on decent levels that doesn't cause bickering amongst us. " oh ano-hana was licensed but it's sub only so nisa should burn" or I don't like the offical subs for my series etc.. It's 2am and I'm beginning to question my own state of mind at this point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:57 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
It's 2am and I'm beginning to question my own state of mind at this point.

You're only just questioning your state of mind now? I've been questioning my sanity since way back when I was paying NZ$130.00 (US$103.50) for a one-cour series. Heck, it's strange enough that I'm watching Japanese cartoons in the first place, but here I am.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:18 am Reply with quote

2.) How doesn't make any sense sexism exist with both genders In ads, anime, book, t.v., music etc. To say it doesn't is retarded, I personally find ads with buff guys on tv offensive because it portrays something that doesn't exist and people lust after. I'm also against woman being objectifies as well in the same ads in the same way.

OK! Anime is sexist! Laughing
Bob from Accounting

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:55 am Reply with quote
On the subject of equal sexism that Cecilthedarkknight raised, while it is true that a single, isolated case of sexism against a man is equally as bad as a single, isolated case of sexism of the same degree against a woman, the simple fact is that the shit that women have had to and still do have to deal with all over the world is on a mind-boggling scale that sexism towards men and sexism towards women simply cannot be truly compared.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:16 am Reply with quote
^
I don't think anyone is saying otherwise. In fact, your point has already been covered in this thread, by myself and by others.

I'll reiterate what I said earlier. Misandry exists and is a concern, even if it is not anywhere near as widespread, as savage or as deeply-rooted as misogyny is.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

2.) How doesn't make any sense sexism exist with both genders In ads, anime, book, t.v., music etc. To say it doesn't is retarded, I personally find ads with buff guys on tv offensive because it portrays something that doesn't exist and people lust after. I'm also against woman being objectifies as well in the same ads in the same way.

OK! Anime is sexist! Laughing

Hentai is sexist to all women, Yaoi is sexist towards submissive males?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Women get their Tyrant Falls in Love and Gravitation, men get their High School DxD and Sekirei.

Anime is an equal opportunity medium.
zensunni

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Sewingrose wrote:
Bob from Accounting wrote:
Cutiebunny wrote:
(because in most of these stories, it is a rather consensual rape)

Um...

Dear God I missed that earlier, what the hell.

That rape is just surprise sex, like Scarlett O'Hara. Laughing

Or the Luke and Laura storyline on General Hospital back in the 80's. The most watched episodes of daytime television in history, at the time, was the wedding of a rapist and his victim who fell in love with him, and we (myself included as a high school kid) eat it up! I look back on that story line and the popularity of the show and wonder what kind of sick country I live in!
rheiders

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:46 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Women get their Tyrant Falls in Love and Gravitation, men get their High School DxD and Sekirei.

Anime is an equal opportunity medium.

No it's not. Let's look at this season. For fanservice shows:

Boys get: Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate, Ebiten, Nakaimo, So I Can't Play H, Oda Nobuna no Yabou

Girls get: La storia della Arcana Famiglia, Hakuouki Reimei-roku

And then there are plenty of other shows that are not fanservice shows, but will probably feature more fanservice aimed at male viewers than female viewers. For example, Yuruyuri 2, Joshiraku, Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero, Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere 2, and Kokoro Connect, just to name a few. Even more typical shounen shows like Sword Art Online will likely include male-oriented fanservice but little to no female-oriented fanservice. (I seem to recall the interviewer saying that they did everything they could to make sure the lead girl was "cute".) It makes sense- that show is aimed at the shounen demographic. In fact, the only shows this season that are explicitly aimed at girls (in other words, shows that are aimed at a shoujo or josei demographic) are Arcana Famiglia, the new Hakuouki, Utakoi, and Natsuyuki Rendezvous. So no, anime is not "equal opportunity". Fanservicey trash exists for both genders, but not in nearly equal amounts.

And, of course, there is a lot more female-oriented manga out there than female-oriented anime, but since you only mention anime, that's what I'm discussing. Apparently fujoshi don't like to buy DVDs or something. (And as a note: I'm not including hentai in this, which includes yaoi and yuri. I admittedly don't know enough about it to discuss it.)

I'll stop running this topic into the mud now, but this argument is a really big pet peeve of mine. ^^;
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:
(And as a note: I'm not including hentai in this, which includes yaoi and yuri. I admittedly don't know enough about it to discuss it.)

There are precisely three Yuri-only H anime works produced in the last decade or so.

Just for the record.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Yes, fujoshi don't buy discs. At least not BluRay discs, they still sold more DVDs for that basketball show than BDs, I guess they haven't moved onto HD yet. So that male otaku buy the more expensive products, and do it more often, they'll naturally dominate the market. Even with the female fans buying all the manga, you'd need about 13-15 volumes to equal one BD.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8