• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2Real

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:19 pm Reply with quote
ok ill try to list mine....i dont wana feel left out =D

my 5 hated animes would have to be...

1) Naruto...For this day and age u would think that someone sitting around could think up a different story line that has'nt been done befor. well to clerify on that just watch DBZ and ull understand.

2) Pokemon...wow wut a captuering story of how the samething happens every episode with just different people/monsters.

3) Ninja Scroll (the tv show)...considering it was aired after AND based on the movie, it realy hasnothing to do with the movie. the only thing that they kept the same was the main Char. to change so much to an already legend of anime is sad. this series should have never aired imo

4)Blood the Last Vampire.....i completly hated this. i reget ever watching it. the enier thing is over and ur sitting there like "is that all?" the only good thing i can say about this is the animation is top of the line.

5)Gundam Series (all gundum except wing)....once u have seen one of them they are all Basicly the same. with such a long living tital they didn't change much from series to series.

ok here it is...my top 10.........

1)FLCL....its the only anime i could sit and watch like 10 times over and not get bored with it. the story, charectors, everything was well done. it was funny on many leavels.
((side note: i also love any anime i have watched for the 1st time, but as we all kno there are acceptions to the rules)

2)Serial Experiments Lain.....its asome it will realy have u thinking as u watch the show. and the whole computers thing with it realy cought my attention, cause it isnt something seen that much in anime. a real mind blower.

3)Ninja Scroll (the movie)....i loved it beyond words. it captured my heart and lead me into the world of anime. beyond the violence and blood shead, the sorty is just as atracting.

4)Hellsing....the story line was good and the way i got into the story is a rare thing. quite posablyone of the most Macob shows i have ever seen. all i can say is i love it!

5)Trigun...exclently made. it apeals to many types of fans. it has the romance the comedy and action. combine all that with a indepth story history that is slowly reveald over the show and u get a great show imo.

6)Cowboy bebop...i dont wana spoil it soo, after watching the show and u get to the last episode...the last episode. is wut realy makes the show great imo. they do great detail with each indavidual weather they are a main part of the story or a one time thing.

7)Samurai 7....quite posably one of the best mixes of 2 anime Genras, and posably the 2 most unlikly.the great story and better animation gives way to one of the best shows i have seen.

8)Final Fantasy: Advent Children (movie).....animation is exclent, but that is to be expected when u get the FF name. the story is just as good ( u would have to have played FF7 the game on playstayion to understand most of it). a great sequle to the already popular game id say its a must see for any fan of the FF series

9)Samurai Deeper Kyo....a not to well known title that deservers more then it gets. the format of the story is based on true events in aicent Japan during the middle ages. take the strage real life events and build a story on it, with great chectors that u can get attached to and get a one of a kind anime.

10)Bleach(even though it is unfinished)......i still have to sit down every wednesday and eagerly await the next episode(pathetict i kno..haha). in all honesty i couldnt think of anything id rather do, with the all so familar "power attacks" and "Ki" also know as "Power Leaves" it realy isnt that bad. i love the sword fighting and even though it has a strong romantic setting, i cant help but love it. in the end i think its gona be the same every Wed. till the series is completed (as sad is it will be this is one of the few i will truly miss watching)

Last edited by 2Real on Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
gpeng2006

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:34 am Reply with quote
my first post so here goes nothing

Worst

5)Tsubasa Chronicle: I have no clue why the manga is so popular, i gave the anime a chance but really could not go on after 12 episodes of rubbish

4)Ikki Tousen: Having watched tenjho tenge before this, i was expecting something similar but the result was
Tenjho tenge + a little extra fanservice - natsume maya & a plot = Ikki tousen. very disappointed

3)Gravion Zwei: A fan servicy mecha show, but i was really expecting something along the line of Gundam not POWER RANGERS!

2)Loveless: Gave up after 4episodes. Guy + Guy just aint my thing

1)Naruto: way overhyped, average story & anime declining at a pretty steady pace but the worst thing about this show is the characters. Naruto is quite simply a retard. Sakura wines so much anyone would be annoyed enough to stop watching from early 100s & sasuke well when you have sasuke as people's favourite you know this show has weak characters. Simply put there is NOT 1 likable character. now before anyones starts naming itachi or kakashi or others think to yourself if they are really on the same page as ichimaru gin, toushiro hitsugaya, natsume maya, major motoko etc in terms of likability(sorry for bad english, not sure if this word is even valid)

Best

10)Gundam Seed Destiny: Despite a rather weak ending, i still think it was better than its prequal Gundam Seed. A interesting plot + the Best looking onscreen machines

9)DBZ: I watched this as a kid during the early 90s, when the show was growing big in ASIA. at that time, DBZ was heck a lot better than other anime on air like astroboy & heman.

8)Full Metal Panic & FMP 2nd Raid: I did not think mecha could blend so well with comedy before this show

7)SHUFFLE!: this show isnt finished in japan but heck I've never seen more drama in a shoujo romance show. beautiful animation & many unexpected plot twists.

6)Saint Seiya (The Sanctuary): Another big early 90s hit, this was actually the hottest Anime in the early 90s in Asia including Japan & China. watched this around 12 years ago, this anime helped globalize anime in the early years & really played a big part in making anime what it is today in Asia & Europe. Unfortunately, the american dub version aka knights of the zodiac completely tortued & killed this cult classic. But this was the first & still one of the best

5)Saint Seiya Hades Chapter Sanctuary: 2003 OVA following the sanctuary chapter, much smoother animation than its predecessor over a decade ago, nice music, new characters & new myth zodiac cloth. just ebay "myth saint seiya" & you'll see why i ranked this 5th

4)School Rumble: school comedy sux? yes indeed, well they ALL do except School Rumble, this show got me LOLing & ROFLing every 5min through all episodes

3)Love Hina: This show got me back into anime in 2001. has been many years but to me Naru & motoko were the nicest(physically) animated screengirls back in those days. love hina's animation was above most other anime at that time & the comedy & outrageous level of comedy was above any other comedy at that time

2)Tenjho tenge: i think this show is underated, people criticize this for being a fan service shounen like ikki tousen but if only all the feminist would overlook that part & realize how good & how much potential this show had at its peak.

1)Bleach: simply masterpiece. kubo just keeps suprising us with every new episode. the music is great, the characters are all awesome. for the first time, the main male Protagonist(kurosaki ichigo) isnt lame(thinks of Naruto,Goku,Inuyasha,Ash,Keitarou). even the side characters & villains namely the gotei 13, every one of them are badasses or likable in they own way. & Bleach comedy is actually quite good unlike most other shounen which try to be funny eg Naruto.
with a very Deep & well-thought out Story + Mature Characters With a real sense of humor, no wonder every wednesday thousands of fans are sitting on they ass waiting for dattebayo to release they new episode of bleach
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:59 pm Reply with quote
gpeng2006 wrote:
5)Tsubasa Chronicle: I have no clue why the manga is so popular, i gave the anime a chance but really could not go on after 12 episodes of rubbish

9)DBZ: I watched this as a kid during the early 90s, when the show was growing big in ASIA. at that time, DBZ was heck a lot better than other anime on air like astroboy & heman.

4)School Rumble: school comedy sux? yes indeed, well they ALL do except School Rumble, this show got me LOLing & ROFLing every 5min through all episodes

These tell us nothing about why you listed them here. What specifically made you like them/hate them? For that matter, many of your other choices were similarly pushing it, but I let them go to avoid being excessively picky.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Henry Jones

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Best:

1) Haibane-Renmei
What starts as a pleasant slice-of-life series turns into a richly detailed, immensely rewarding drama. The art and animation beautifully capture everything from the calm breeze of a Spring day to the darkest corners of the human mind. The characters really took me by surprise with how rounded, well-written, and memorable they are, and they only get better when I caught all of the little things on repeated viewings (especially Reki). The story may not answer all the questions the viewer has at the beginning, but it more than covers everything in the touching, many times heart-breaking personal journeys of the haibane. No series has gotten to me more than this one.

2) Texhnolyze
Yes yes, I am an ABe fanboy, but I do understand he doesn't animate and write every single second of every anime he works on. But he IS an incredibly thoughtful artist with good taste in projects. Anyway, Texhnolyze. It takes many of the best parts of science fiction and Greek tragedy, and leaves out many of the annoying apects (relying on shallow asthetics or annoying choruses for storytelling, respectively). This would be all well and good for a decent series, but Texhnolyze takes it to the next level with characters that, while not initially all that interesting, become unforgettable when their worlds shift and crash in on themselves. To top everything off, Madhouse did the best job I have EVER seen in the look and animation of a series, which combined with excellent sound design and music, helped create a series that can could carry itself on mood and atmosphere alone. Thankfully, though, it has much more than that, despite what people who didn't get past the first two episodes will tell you.

3) Last Exile
I have a soft spot for action/adventure, and this series hits it. A great-looking, great-sounding, well-realized world with over a dozen good characters spread across every aspect of it. The story treads familiar ground, but puts enough twists on it to make it fully engaging for all 26 episodes. Sure you can dig deeper on this series if you want, but sometimes, that's all you need.

4) Monster
A psychological thriller of superior intelligence, effective drama, and quiet emotion. It takes situations that would be good enough for any other series and consistently escalate them into something much more in a way that creates an addictive meal for the grown up anime fan. While this gets the series into trouble later on (The rather unbelievable coincidences that occur in the second half make it a little soap operatic), it's still one of the few long series I consider well worth all the time I put into it.

5) Cowboy Bebop
It's slipped a bit since my obsession of it cooled, but it's still a hefty blast of entertainment. Great characters that are nothing less than iconic, fantastic music, fun episodes that take elements of such things as film noir, science fiction, and even blaxspoitation and messes with them so they work as one, and little emotional story arcs under everything else that make it all even better.

6) Serial Experiments Lain
A fascinating story about the consequences of technology colliding with the real world, the nature of existence and God, and a heart-breaking personal journey of a lonely girl who wanted to do everything to make her only friend happy and does the complete opposite. It's not the emotional knockout the Haibane-Renmei and Texhnolyze are, but it's just enough for me to keep coming back again again to search for the missing puzzle pieces that makes everything clear (and discover that one detail that messes everything up again. Sigh.....)

7) Kino's Journey
A series of fairy tales with a dash of science fiction that, while having a few conventional episodes, sits, thinks, and turns everything on its head when it's at its best. Episodes like the Book of Prophecy and the Library start off with decent but predictable stories and then twist them..... and twist them..... and twist them again until I didn't even know what to think. Quite impressive for such an unassuming little series.

8) Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water
Like I said, I have a soft spot for action/adventures, and this is a great one. In particular, the Neo Atlantians are an effective, sinister force that make the heroes even more heroic when they're up against something so vast and stifling. Hideaki Anno's religious asthetics and ideas are a better fit here than Eva and it's his most complete and entertaining work, in my opinion. I didn't even mind the island filler episodes. I DID mind the musical episode and the movie, though. My ears bleed and my brain hurts just thinking about them.....

9) Spirited Away
My favorite Miyazaki, it's infinitely watchable (so much, I saw three times in the theaters), you can sit and think about all the symbolism involved with a girl searching for her identity, or you can just enjoy the emotional ride of a girl lost in a strange world trying to get her parents back. It's all there, and it's all breathlessly entertaining even after the third time.

10) Full Metal Panic FUMOFFU
It's just that funny. Sure, it's one joke 90% of the time, but it's a joke that never fails to get me falling out of my seat laughing. Combined with outrageous stuff like the bath house episode, it's something I can watch with any of my friends at any time and have a ball (not to mention understand the good qualities of ping pong paddles).

Worst:

1) X: The Movie
A movie that fails at just about everything it sets out to accomplish. Well, unless they WANTED to make a mind-numbingly painful movie with shallow characters, boring action, a pitiful payoff, and some jaw-droppingly sexist moments (a cigar may be a cigar, but ripping gigantic swords out the women you love, especially when one's the character's mother, seems a bit more than a cigar). The TV series and manga probably do better because they have time to make Fuma less of an idiot and the Dragons of the Earth/Stars more than just setup for a yawningly conventional story. Here, though, it's just a depressing mess.

2) Maburaho
Sometimes, you should just make something hentai. That way, it'd actually have a purpose rather than this awful, wannabe tease of a series for pre-teens who go, "Tee hee, when they want his DNA, they're talking about SEX!" Even then, it'd be at least serviceable for the harem fans, but they can't even do that when, halfway in, they make a sorry attempt at turning the story which gives harem fans nothing they want and everybody else has already tuned out. I shouldn't even mention it, because when I described it to my girlfriend, she thought it was bad enough to rent a volume and make fun of it, but she just sat in horror the whole time and probably wanted to slap me afterwards. I'm vulnerable to guilty T & A sometimes (I like the Psychic Academy manga), but this is just horrible across the board.

3) Golgo 13: Queen Bee
I still have to take showers to cleanse the dirty feeling I had from watching this movie. Its "political thriller" story is merely just a way to connect scenes of overcooked melodrama, WAY over-the-top violence, and filthy men doing it with women with big boobies screaming in terror. And it does it all with a straight face. Still not as frustrating as the Golgo 13 Nintendo games, but nowhere near as enjoyable.

4) DBZ
I don't read Shonen Jump. I don't watch TV series that are adaptations of Shonen Jump manga. The reason: This series is pretty much the blueprint for most of them, and that's not a good thing. It takes an artist with a nice style, some good characters and ideas, and stretches them to the point where nothing is entertaining and nothing but the beginning and the end are anything of consequence. DBZ takes all of this to the extreme. Have a main character with super special attack? Just get a villain with a bigger special attack and have them clean house with the heroes! How do you beat them? Well, just have one of the main characters develop an even BETTER special attack, etc. etc. When worlds blow up, main characters die, and I don't care, there's a problem. I couldn't even watch Hikaru no Go when someone suggested it because its attitude of trying to make each game of go EXTREMELY MORE DRAMATIC than the last just turned me off despite the series' own good intentions.

5) Burst Angel
When happens when you have something that's nothing of substance but fanservice and action, and both the fanservice and action don't work? A hellacious bore, that's what. Also, I usually give Gonzo the benefit of the doubt when an occasional CG shot will stick out, but watching the mech battles here was like watching a gallery of the worst CG eyesores. It makes the action in Pilot Candidate watchable is what I'm saying.

Okay, quick revision, and...... breathe.

EDIT: Typo on Last Exile episode count.

Last edited by Henry Jones on Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
S_C_L-1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Ok, this is my first post on this forum, so i'll try not to piss you guys/galls off too much Wink

(sry in advance if i make any mistakes... english isnt my first language...)

i have seen way too many animes to be able to rank them... but here are my all time favs and most hated animes... with both the pro's and con's.

Cowboy Bebop

Beautiful anime! i know im not the first to say it... and most likely not the last... but this is really the anime that made me a fanatic!
Visually stunning, excellent plot, loveable characters, well balanced between the fighting/commedy/story telling, awesome soundtrack and good voice acting (i was quite surprised with the quality of the dub aswell)... Even the filler episodes were good!

the only thing i can say i didn't enjoy as much as the rest (cant say i didn't like it, just appreciated it less) was the lifespan... 26 episodes is still quite healthy... but hey... when you come accross an anime THIS good...

Last Exile

One of the most under-rated animes of all time! retro and futuristic at the same time... and one of the only animes i've seen that was able to mix CG in without looking crappy!
altho some of the characters can occasionally get on your nerves... still a must see!

Samurai Champloo

same creator as Bebop... and even with the very high expectations i had when i first saw it, i was very pleasantly surprised!
Very fluid animation... very commedic... loveable characters... and has a very odd story... most of the episodes look like filler, but just dont feel like filler... i tip my hat to all those who worked on this project!
complaints? not really... i just dont like hip-hop all too much Razz
if you do like hip-hop, you'll love this anime even more than i have! (maybe)

Side note: am i the only 1 that thought Mugen looks alot like Spike (Bebop)?

Chrno Crusade

another strange 1! very nice animation, interesting characters, and a few odd twists along the way!
One of the best endings i've seen so far! (very sad tho...)

FLCL

FLCL is what you get when you compact 20+ episodes worth of plot/action into 6 episodes!
the animation is ASTOUNDING! i would've hated to be an animator for that show! (must've been a HUGE workload!)
unfortunately, it is very hard to understand... this is the kind of anime that you have to watch 2 or 3 times to really get... and every single time, you'll be drooling over the eye candy it presents!

Ghost in the Shell

(not the original ... the remake!) it's not very difficult to immagine the world we know to become ghost in the shell... Very futuristic, but still believable... the only thing i dont like... is that i haven't seen it entirely! (im ashamed!)

FMA

very good anime! some dont like it... well, they say they dont (probly because it is very mainstream...) ... but it is a very good anime! the most attractive thing about this anime is the story... well, not the story in itself, but the way it is told... its sorta like riding a rollercoaster... it goes from very serious to very commedic in the matter of seconds and never seems out of place.

another interesting thing is that things that happen even at the very beginning will eventually pop up again later on to push the story forward... unfortunately, this can make it seem rather slow at times...

Golden Boy

a very good commedy with a few serious moments... more for a mature audience... animation was way above my expectations! (considering it was made in the 80s).. and the main character is awesome Cool
altho histerical, this anime has a few fatal flaws...
1. the music... it was made in the 80s... need i say more?
2. very short... total of 6 episodes... there are other excellent animes that have even fewer... but this anime would have been better off with double that...
3. bad ending... open endings can be good... (Bebop for example) but it never really worked out for golden boy... maybe it was cancelled?

I have dozens more that i absolutely adored, but im getting tired... so i'll just go to the second part of the list...

Ranma 1/2

ok... im the kind of anime fanatic that will watch an anime all the way through even if he doesnt like it... but this anime was just too aweful for me to get passed season 1... and for some reason, this anime has not only remained popular, but has been growing in popularity...
on the plus side... i dont have to watch it Razz (im sorry, but i really cant think of anything i liked about it... then again... i only saw the dub... might be better in japanese... but im not taking any chances...)

Well... there are a few others i didn't particularly like... but not as much as ranma... i love pretty much all animes when i compare them to ranma... but here a few things i didn't like about certain animes...

Inu Yasha

too long to retain my interest... and the characters never seem to evolve... other than that, its a pretty decent anime...

One Piece

altho the style is somewhat interesting, it feels a bit out-dated... the characters are, for the most part, annoying... and the plot doesnt seem to move forward from episode to episode... altho i have heard many good things about the manga... maybe ill check it out when i have some spare time...

DB/DBZ/DBGT

Corney... predictable... bad voice acting... bad music... redundant... bad animation...
but, i dont hate it... only for 1 reason... it was the first anime i ever saw... sorta like a milestone... its absolutely nothing compared to those mentionned at the begining, but i'll always have some fond memorys of it from my childhood.

Last edited by S_C_L-1 on Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
gpeng2006

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
gpeng2006 wrote:

These tell us nothing about why you listed them here. What specifically made you like them/hate them? For that matter, many of your other choices were similarly pushing it, but I let them go to avoid being excessively picky.

nothing?

please read again

tsubasa like i said i cannot understand why people like it & why the manga is HOT. to me it was one of the worst I've seen recently, the pace is extremely slow & the characters all lack personality, generally the show only helps me fall asleep faster. again this is just my opinion so dont get offended if you are a fan

dbz: it was clearly better than heman & astroboy. other anime/cartoon shows on air at that time(early 90s in asia). so it was one of those early ones which got me into anime

school rumble: well its not one of those typical love love suki suki school romance shows with bland taste of humor. i did clearly say it got me laughing bad every 5min. you are saying thats not a valid reason to like something?

& yes you are quite picky
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:00 pm Reply with quote
gpeng2006 wrote:
the pace is extremely slow & the characters all lack personality, generally the show only helps me fall asleep faster.

You never said this earlier, and this was what I was looking for. Was it really so hard that you had to give me attitude over it?

gpeng2006 wrote:
dbz: it was clearly better than heman & astroboy. other anime/cartoon shows on air at that time(early 90s in asia). so it was one of those early ones which got me into anime

This still tells us nothing. What aspects of the show made you like it? Just saying "it's better than ____" doesn't tell us what you thought made it better than ____.

gpeng2006 wrote:
school rumble: well its not one of those typical love love suki suki school romance shows with bland taste of humor. i did clearly say it got me laughing bad every 5min. you are saying thats not a valid reason to like something?

Yes, because all your saying is that you thought a comedy was funny. If you liked it, that's a given, and if you're listing it as a Top 10, it's a given that you liked it. WHY did you think it was funny? What about the show was comedic enough to put you on the floor laughing every five minutes?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Urb'

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Hi,
New to board and new to anime and haven't watched much tbh...
(im really bad at describing)

Favorites
1) Spirited Away
This started me off, was the 1st anime i saw and i loved it, there so many meanings in the characters and story.

2)Bleach..
Started off really interesting, i though it would be monster of the week kinda thing, but i was wrong, i got hooked on it instantly, ichigos determination, etc,, the tune "on the precipice of defeat" the synth noise, its strong, and really gives the "never gonna give up feeling" much better than eye of tiger in rocky.

3)NGE..
This was my 2nd anime i watched, probably threw myself in at the deep end.. I liked it because there was always something missing, like a sub plot i didn't understand but subconsiously i wanted to know how it ended.. some very strong moments, and after rewatching it it made much more sense to me, theres still a few questions unanswered, but i really liked it.

4)Hellsing..
It was dark, the alucard was flamboyant, rather than the sterotypical vampire.. stylist music.. and quote violent.

5)Gunslinger girl
Really really liked this series, dunno what the word is, but it makes you empathise with some of the girls at the broadness that they are treated by their handlers. its had action, and violence, but when they go into action the coldness of having to just get on with the job.. and then they are back to being just plain girls, the conditioning still left them having their own identities even though they were brainwashed.

6)Elfen Lied
I liked the characters, and the story was good, the ending was.. ARRG, kinda not what i was expecting considering the circumstances, was expecting the promise. but it had a nice feel to it.. liked the use of their gifts, and in fairness you understood what drove them and their reasons, but also the big missunderstanding

7)Suzuka..
Ok its still being shown, but started watching from day 1 for a change of scenery, and i got hooked, there is so much tention between the characters, and i can relate to it loads, been there, done that, thinking about that now.. so i like the way it is real.

i dont hate any as such yet as im new to it, so not much to compare things to..

1. Furi Kuri (FLCL?) got me confused immediatly in 1st 10 mins.. though i will rewatch it, i like to comment after i seen it all

i read all 26 pages..(bored at work - took almost all this afternoon) will try and watch many of peoples favorites to better educate myself, some look really cool by the way people describe them
hanachan01

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:02 am Reply with quote
Top 3 faves-

1. FMA- I'm probably the 1st persons whose said this... Anyway, I heart FMA. It has all of the things about anime I love- likeable, original characters; an interesting plot, with no cliches, that always leaves you wanting more; a cool element to the story that maes it unique (alchemy); good animation; good acting in both languages; accurate dub; appropriate music; openings and endings which I play repeatedly; and, best of all: hot, slashable guys! Ok, that last one is a reason I love FMA, but that's not the most important reason. That would be the fact that this is an anime that can go from seriuos to funny, and not confuse you or make you think it is out of place. Everything is timed well, and that makes it feel like it is not boring or uncomprehensible.

2. Gravitation- My intro to yaoi (my fave genre), so I have to give it props! An inticing, soap-opra like romance- but with bishonen! The music is amazing; it was all done by Daisuke Asakura, who also produces for TM Revolution. It has a nice, poppy feel for Bad Luck's songs, a 'rocktronica' (the best way I could explain it) feel for Nittle Grasper, and catchy BGM that is appropriate for the scene and the series in whole. The slapstick humor style from the original manga is here, but somehow, I find it to be funnier in the anime. Also, the charaters are interesting, unique charas with real emotions, who can be very crazy and humorous (like K andTatsuha, 2 of my fae Gravi charas). Yaoi stands for a Japanese phrase that means 'no plot, no climax, no meaning'. However, Gravitation is a yaoi that is the complete opposite of this. Plus, did I mention it has hot guy kissing each other? lol

3. hmm....either Cowboy Bebop or Spirited Away....once I decide between the 2, I'll talk about them...

Top 3 hates-

1. InuYasha- I don't see any point. It's more of a monster-of-the-week style than an actual plot, the charas nevr develope much, any romantic sparks between Kagome and InuYasha dissapear by next episodes (aka no consistency). This seems like an anime Scooby-Doo in set up. Sesshomaru is this shows saving point (I have a thing for angsty bishonen), IMHO. And only like his because he is angsty and a bishonen. Besides that, this is a bland show after the fist couple of episodes.

2 and 3 I'll post later...I wanna sleep....
musashi8688

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:33 am Reply with quote
My top ten favorite would have to be:
1. Rurouni Kenshin- I just think Kenshin himself is amazing, the fact that he can seem so meek but when called upon he can kick butt. I try to model my own code after his, the don't fight if you don't have to, defend people in trouble things like that. I also enjoy thew way he talks like saying a sentence about himself or something and then saying "That it is" or "That I am" or "That it isn't.".
2. Trigun- Pretty much for the same reasons, Vash is just amazing and even though he isn't completely human his heart is so big you wouldn't even notice I really admire his style too that cool demeanor of his.
3. Princess Mononoke- I just LOVE Miyazaki films, not only was thins the first anime that I saw, but I have seen as many of his movies as I can get my hands on and he never ceases to amaze me.
4. Tsukikage Ran- It's such a departure from what you would expect especially since the main character is a woman (I am not dissing women in any way trust me if you are angry and a female then send me a post and I will be glad to reconcile with you).
5.FLCL- It's hilarious enough said.
6.R.O.D. the movie- It was just interesting, I can't really explain why.
7.Spirited Away- MIYAZAKI, I believe that says it all.
8.Naussica of the Valley of the Wind- see above.
9.Vandread- I really like the story and all the sexual connotations in it had me laughing to myself and saying 'how did they get away with this it's so funny.' And I liked how it ended.
10. Big O- It's so original and the characters were just awesome I must say besides Vandread, this is one of the only anime series with giant robots I like.

Now my worst 5:
1.DBZ: It ran way too long the story nnever changed and it just got old.
2.R.O.D. the series: It was such a departure from the movie and had me wondering where the Paper and Nancy were and when they were fond the story got worse.
3.Vampire Hunter D: It just really annoyed me and I just couldn't get into it. The sequel however was really good.
4.Cromartie Highschool: It was just way too wierd and with no story at all annoyed me.
5.Blood the Last Vampire: What was going on if it were longer it would have been better but with the lack of story it was really annoying.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:13 am Reply with quote
musashi8688 wrote:
5.FLCL- It's hilarious enough said.
6.R.O.D. the movie- It was just interesting, I can't really explain why.
7.Spirited Away- MIYAZAKI, I believe that says it all.
8.Naussica of the Valley of the Wind- see above.

Not enough. Why can't you make these more like your 1-4, 9, & 10? Those were actually rather nicely done. Your Bottom 5 were rather weak, as well, in terms of providing reasoning.
musashi8688

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:40 am Reply with quote
In regards to your query
5.FLCL- it actually took me a while to get into but once my friend helped me understand it I stopped looking for a deeper meaning and decided to let it just take me for a ride.
6.ROD The Movie- It suprised me in terms of story line the fact that something so good could be made about a bookworm and writers of other times, and loving books about as much as she does I fell in love with the movie.
7.Spirited Away- I LOVE MIYAZAKI FILMS, and I love the fact that he can take young kids, pit them against amazing situations and they come out on top. He is a genius and for some reason no matter who the character is they always seem to have a strong moral code and I admire that. Spirited Away was just brilliantly done.
8. Naussica- I remember when I was about ten seeing something that reminded me of this and I'm pretty sure they were the same thing. I loved the characters and the fact that they seem so human andf life like and seeing the heroine fight so passionatley for what she believed in really touched me.

worst 5:
1.DBZ: I actually liked this in the beginning and when it ran on so long I started to ask was it really worth following? The answer was no and I decided to quit watching and now looking back I realize that it was so bad and linear I wish the plot twists weren't so obvious.
2.ROD the series: When I heard there was a ROD series I figured it was going to be a prequel to the movie and that it would deal with the same characters and possibly their backstories. Then they introduce the Paper Sisters and I thought okay I'll bite, but it just dissappointed as far as story goes and I really didn't understand the use of British V.O.
3.Vampire Hunter D: For a while I liked this one when I was younger but recently I went back to it and realized that some of the violence seemed unnessecary or if not that overly grotesque, and normaly I would like that sort of thing despite being like Kenshin in resolve and heart but for something like this I was disappointed.
4.Cromartie Highschool: I just can't figure out what's going on, it's kind of funny and normaly I like spoofs which is what this seems to be but it just didn't do it for me this. I don't know what else to say.
5.Blood the Last Vampire: Another Vampire anime that could have been better. It is okay, don't get me wrong but I just don't understand why it is 50 minutes long if it where longer I'm sure it would have been better but with that and the fact that when I saw it it was mixed with dub and sub for some reason just turned me off to it.

I hope this satissfies you and I apprediate your honesty in telling me to expand my reasons, if something like this should happen again please notify me and I will correct it. Peace Out.
Silenthillnight

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:12 am Reply with quote
I usually dig through these forums but never participate so I guess I'll start now Smile For my Top 5 most hated...

5. Gantz
Don't get me wrong, the manga is great and I read it
whenever I find it updated but the Anime was just so bad. The art style could've been a lot better and the arc at the end of the anime turned me off. The ending... might as well rip off Cowboy Bebop with his pointing at the train with his fingers shaped as a gun and say bang.

4. Naruto
I haven't gotten past episode... 6 I think but no matter what, whenever I try to watch Naruto, I doze off to sleep. I like to watch my anime laying down and everytime without a doubt, I knock out trying to watch it. Maybe one day I'll get up to the first 26.

3. Pokemon
There's only so much you can do with a boy who has a strangely curious relationship with his pet and a group who tries to abduct it show after show after show. Ooh, did I mention after show? Not only does his mother allow her son to just start wandering aimlessly throughout the world looking for gyms, he also saves the world too!

2. Inuyasha
Inuyasha! Kagome! Inuyasha! Kagome! Inuyasha! Kagome! Shut up already! Do we really need over 100 episodes of two idiots who just can't express their obvious feelings for each other? It's hard enough sitting through 26 episodes of that stuff!

1. DBZ
I'm charging my attack! Next episode... I'm still charging and I'm almost done! Next episode... I've finished charging and I'm aiming it at you! Next episode... Darn I missed... better do it again! If you were to look in the dictionary for the word "redundant", this show HAS to be an example.

Now for my Top 10 most liked...

10. Macross Plus
This OVA had beautiful art. Not only were the graphics and drawing very well done, the music for this anime was great! There was a mix of japanese songs along with a french song and a very poppish but catchy english song that made me just have to go out and buy the soundtrack for it. The story was half-way decent as well.

9. Spirited Away
Another one that was just very gorgeous. At first you find Chihiro annoying for her lacksidasical attitude but you grow to love her as she quickly grows up and matures. The story is an unusual one that draws you in and has you wondering how she'll manage to get her parents back.

8. Suzuka
Another of your typical romantic animes but with a sports theme with it. I run track as well so this anime kinda hits home with me. One thing that's majorly unusual about this anime however is the fact that the guy actually lets Suzuka know how he really feels about her and despite getting rejected, still has feelings for her and doesn't give up. Her on the other hand can't come to grips with her true feelings about him which basically drags out the story. And here comes Honoka to add in more drama. One major fault with this anime though is the lack of quality with the drawing. In a few episodes, the drawing is so bad, the eyes are lopsided.

7. Full Metal Panic
Like one guy said above, who would've thought an anime with mechs and comedy can work so well? There's always something new to see with this anime so it doesn't seem to wear on you. Not to mention the OVA was just downright hilarious!

6. Ai Yori Aoshi
Another one of those harem type anime with one difference. The guy is already claimed. The comedy in it is seeing how he lives his life dealing with the 4 women he gets to live with. I'd still like to see if they'll make another season to add on to what we saw from the OVA.

5. Air
Gorgeous. Nothing more you can say about this anime other than the fact that the art is just outright gorgeous. That's not all however. Air has one of the best stories I have ever seen. The story was so good in fact that the ending almost brought me to tears.

4. Azumanga Daioh
School girls, barely any fan-service, how can it work? By being just insanely hilarious! This anime pokes jokes at many japanese stereotypes in relation to several girl's lives through high school. I still watch this every now and then when I need to get a laugh.

3. Shuffle!
Yet another harem anime. If you haven't caught on by now, yes, I like harem-type series. Shuffle! is nicely done though for a former h-game. Yes there's lots of fan-service but there is also lots of drama. The story tends to get serious now and then and the story at that point is done pretty well. Doesn't drag on, and the latter episodes seriously have you in suspense to find out what happens.

2. Elfen Lied
Very very bloody but very very good. Story is nice, something that isn't out of this world, unbelievable like. It's not as much as a glorified gorefest like Gantz too. I didn't see that much entrails in this show. Bodys seem to be sheered quite nicely. You really get to feel for Myu (Lucy) and Nana and the rest of the characters for going through the stuff they had to endure and still being somewhat stable.

1. Bleach
Like many others, I wait every Tuesday night for that weeks' sub (I live on the west coast and it's usually available around 10pm.) Ichigo is a hero you can't really hate. The Captains are all captains for a really good reason, they have incredible skill. The sword fighting sequences are done at an ok pace, not too fast, and most the time, not too slow. The show tends to leave you in suspense at times too so waiting that week for the next episode seems like a chore. You know it's good if you feen for the next one to come out.

As for Honorable Mentions, I'd have to include Crono Crusade, Kiddy Grade, Love Hina, Ranma 1/2, Sakura Wars, Kaliedo Star, Mai Hime, Mai ZHime (Otome), Cowboy Bebop, Onegai Twins, Stellvia, Evangelion, Lain, Noir, Shakugan no Shana, and others I can't think of right now.
yan!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:12 pm Reply with quote
anime i liked.. that will be..

gundam seed, seed destiny- i really liked it cause of the continuety in the story. i like the battles w/ the ships.. also their conversation it was so cool. its like their conversation is full of delema.. i cant axplain but i liked it..

naruto- nice fighting scenes and its also funny. naruto well known in our country.. even my girl clasmates watch this..

ROD, madlax- same reason for G seed

Fullmetal panic/ FMP fumoffu/ second raid, maburaho- its funny

yuyuhakusho, raxephon- i watch it bit long time ago,, but i remember i liked it

twin spica- i dont know why but i got interested in it

detective school q- its cool

and lot more.. i dont have a particular ranking on them but my favorite now is gundam seed since i just watch it.. and it still have hangover in it.. hehe

I hate..? not really hate but a bit disliked anime I've watch

Elfen lied- i dont liked anime w/ story like this.. its like it has no story this was just like a hentai. i also liked it.. but dislike it at the same time.. hehe.. sorry for the others who liked it. its just my opinion.

bay blade- the characters was so inconsistent they change so easily. but i only watch a few siries.

sorry for the english. im not so good at it..
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:45 pm Reply with quote
yan! wrote:
sorry for the english. im not so good at it..

All the same, it's still appreciated when you put more effort into explaining your reasons for listing something. Simply saying "it's cool," or "I don't know," or "I remember liking it," or solely stating "it's funny," does not really tell us anything about why you like something. Please be a little more specific and thorough; I have faith that you can accomplish that much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 26 of 122