• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Adjusting the Vertical

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Dang! I wanted to ask why @Vertical_Ed told me once that he'd *never* reprint Planetes (I always thought that the 4-volume sci fi series would be perfect for Vertical, so I wondered if it was a licensing/projected sales/or dislike of the manga problem), but I didn't get a chance to tweet Zac before recording time.

Awesome that they're actually flying in a mangaka to ny!
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Negative out first. Why You Laugh at Detective Conan & Oh My Goddess Ed N Zac!? There fun series. I myself have my copy of Case Closed V44 pre-ordered from Amazon and eagerly await it. From what I can tell the manga has done better for VIZ then the anime did for Funimation *Despite the typos in earlier volumes*

But on a more serious note I look forward to see what Vertical announces in the future I've slowly been picking up their Tezuka books, and am looking forward to picking up their release of Heroman.

Also hoping they get the Princess Jellyfish manga, i'd deffinantly pick that up
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Really looking forward to Vertical's future titles. They had a couple of manga I was interested in in that survey. Fingers crossed Smile

Edit: I think one of the reasons for the decrease in sales is also due to how easier it is to read manga online these days. I personally read series that are not released in English (Silver Spoon and Sket Dance), I buy the rest. However I have met people who look at me weirdly for buying manga when I can just access it online for free.

Last edited by Sakurazuka_Reika on Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I think part of the reason we haven't seen a giant hit lately is that less anime is on the air during the daytime. Kids aren't being exposed to anime and manga like they were ten years ago when Toonami was on every day after school (the current Toonami doesn't target kids.)

On another note, has Vertical looked into Hoshi no Samidare (The Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer)?
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:

On another note, has Vertical looked into Hoshi no Samidare (The Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer)?

Yes, this is one Ed regularly removes from his surveys. I don't know what the reasons are (if it breaks one of the rules), but it's one he's not considering.

With re: to the podcast: Great informative podcast! Although it pains me to hear all the grand plans that were being made for Vinland Saga. I really appreciate that Ed is so open and interactive with the fandom. I hope in the future he does go after more josei; I'd love to pick more titles up like that. (especially Princess Jellyfish...)
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Dang! I wanted to ask why @Vertical_Ed told me once that he'd *never* reprint Planetes (I always thought that the 4-volume sci fi series would be perfect for Vertical, so I wondered if it was a licensing/projected sales/or dislike of the manga problem), but I didn't get a chance to tweet Zac before recording time.

Take a listen to the podcast. I explain why Laughing

Main point is that it failed during the manga boom... What are the chances it'd do well now? Not high.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Negative out first. Why You Laugh at Detective Conan & Oh My Goddess Ed N Zac!? There fun series.

Definitely. Both are fun.

But I laugh at how both are very painful releases that will continue to be average at best sales-wise for years to come. I tend to laugh at things that pain me a lot. [need to fix that really]
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
I think part of the reason we haven't seen a giant hit lately is that less anime is on the air during the daytime. Kids aren't being exposed to anime and manga like they were ten years ago when Toonami was on every day after school (the current Toonami doesn't target kids.)

Great point! Anime is marketing tool for manga. And it is becoming harder to get the max potential of cross promotion without anime on TV.

Quote:

It's licensed by JManga.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:

Yes, this is one Ed regularly removes from his surveys. I don't know what the reasons are (if it breaks one of the rules), but it's one he's not considering.

Licensed by JManga.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Vertical_Ed wrote:
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Negative out first. Why You Laugh at Detective Conan & Oh My Goddess Ed N Zac!? There fun series.

Definitely. Both are fun.

But I laugh at how both are very painful releases that will continue to be average at best sales-wise for years to come. I tend to laugh at things that pain me a lot. [need to fix that really]

Haha, no its fine, I just wasn't sure if it was a negative laugh or not. Keep the laugh ed, it suites you well. Cool
lebrel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote
edit: nevermind. This is why you shouldn't leave edit windows open for four hours while doing something else.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Oh, shoot, I completely missed the Vertical survey, and now that I know about it, it's over. I would have definitely voted for Mysterious Girlfriend X, which is a far better manga than the admittedly icky premise would suggest with a style reminiscent of 1980s Rumiko Takahashi only more detailed, and I would have added Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, though I believe that technically breaks the rules by a volume or two, as well as Minami-ke, which isn't an Afternoon title like Mysterious Girlfriend X or YKK but it's still Kodansha.

EDIT: Okay, got to the part of the podcast where Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou was specifically addressed. Too bad, though I know it's a pipedream title that'll never be liccensed in English by anybody.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Listening to Ed makes me question how the American manga companies is still around. I mean it takes some dedication to release something after the market completely crashed.

Its kind of sad that we're probably never going to see someone license a huge series like they did in years past.
clipeuh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:52 am Reply with quote
Vertical_Ed wrote:
kyokun703 wrote:
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:

Licensed by JManga.

So if a title is available on Jmanga, it's not available for license? I though it operated in a similar way to crunchyroll (shows are still available to license after being streamed).
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:17 am Reply with quote
clipeuh wrote:
Vertical_Ed wrote:
kyokun703 wrote:
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:

Licensed by JManga.

So if a title is available on Jmanga, it's not available for license? I though it operated in a similar way to crunchyroll (shows are still available to license after being streamed).

It depends on the license. Digital/streams and print/dvd/blu-ray are often two seperate licenses, meaning two companies can release the same title, perhaps even simultanously.

But, and this is a big but, connections are important. Publishers like to stick to publishers they have good experiences with. Meaning they might keep a license off the market and wait till their favourite is ready to publish it.

This doesn't mean this is the case for Hoshi no Samidare. Maybe the print license is too expensive or maybe it breaks one of Verticals rules, and you should be happy Jmanga has it online, because that may be all you're going to get. In any case, if the publisher says it's not going to happen, it's not going to happen. Not any time soon anyway. Make a new manga boom happen and maybe they'll reconsider Very Happy

(As for Detective Conan, 44 is nothing! 74 comes out in Germany in November Anime hyper

... I pre-ordered.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3