• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Common Language Mistakes (Request For a Stickied Thread)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:07 pm Reply with quote
wanderlustking wrote:
After rereading your original post, I noticed that you aren't actually looking for help becoming a voice actor per say,[sic] but any job in the industry.

When someone like wanderlustking mistakes per say for per se, then I respectfully offer the opinion that we -- at the very least -- have a semi-chronic problem with incorrect language usage. Therefore, I propose the creation of a stickied thread wherein all of the known mistakes -- with corrections -- can be displayed and conveniently linked to.
====================================================================
The purpose of this thread is to politely provide corrections for the most common errors. Nothing insulting is the intent here; if you do feel insulted, then please post below so that we may engage in a positive dialogue!Wink Anime catgrin Cool Anime smile Smile Very Happy Mr. Green

1. per say --> per se
  2. too --> (when what is meant is) to
    There is either too much or too little.
    This envelope is addressed to her.
  3. were --> (when what is meant is) we're
    They were nice.
    We're nice people.
  4. there --> (when what is meant is) their
    There is nothing over there.
    Their belongings are intact.
  5. its --> (when what is meant is) it's
    Its spare parts are missing.
    It's nice today.
  6. there's --> (when what is meant/correct is) there're / there are
    There're plenty of them.
    There's nothing over there.
  7. then --> (when what is meant is) than
    There is more to programming than using if/then statements.
  8. your --> (when what you meant is) you're
    Here is your stuff.
    You're wrong.

Last edited by nobahn on Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:17 pm; edited 10 times in total
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I suspect anyone inattentive enough to make these errors is not going to research the stickied thread on correct English usage.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I wrote:
I propose the creation of a stickied thread wherein all of the known mistakes -- with corrections -- can be displayed and conveniently linked to.

Yeah, but if we can point the offender to this thread, then maybe said offender might read it.....
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:43 pm Reply with quote
This would be of use only if you were willing to explain the error when you list it.

The Per Say thing is probably someone who is familiar with the phrase but has not seen it in print often enough to spell it properly. The remaining examples are all valid words depending on where you use them.

Keep in mind that many of these errors are simple typing and spelling mistakes. It is remarkably hard to catch errors in something you typed yourself at the time of creation. In many cases the individual knows better and will not appreciate having his nose rubbed in it.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:52 pm Reply with quote
That is the rub, is it not? How to point out the mistake in a polite, deferential way. Obviously, I should reword my posting; perhaps along the lines of:

The purpose of this thread is to politely provide corrections for the most common errors. Nothing insulting is the intent here; if you do feel insulted, then please post below so that we may engage in a positive dialogue!Wink Anime catgrin Cool Anime smile Smile Very Happy Mr. Green
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Well, if the powers that be agree, have at it. The discussion should be interesting if nothing else.

However, I repete, with words like your and you're, both of which are real words you need to explain why one or the other would be appropriate in a given situation, with examples.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, I have done edit #7 -- so what do you all think?

EDIT:
Alan45--
Just F.Y.I.: You misspelled "repeat" Wink
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:54 pm Reply with quote
You can also point them towards this for a bit of humor with their lesson:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I think this is going to be about as effective as a bandaid on a severed leg. Noble effort, though.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:01 pm Reply with quote
@nbahn

Picking up on my spelling errors is not going to bother me. I've been getting grief for my spelling since about third grade. Unfortunately the text boxes here lack spell check. I should point out that finding all of my errors would involve a lot of work on your part. Razz I can't spell and I tend to transpose letters when I type and my spoken vocabulary far exceeds my written one.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Alan45: I think I may be able to help you out there. If your using Internet Explorer (not sure if you are though) there is a add on you can install that works with IE and this said add on is a spell checker.

Firefox and Google Chrome both have built in spell checkers, all one must do is enable that feature, although in the latest versions of both browsers, I think that already enabled.

As for Safari, Opera and any other browsers, I imagine there is spell checkers available for those browsers as well.

As for spelling, this is a noble effort as Zac has mentioned, but I am not exactly sure if this would truly work out.

Last edited by Teriyaki Terrier on Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
If your using Internet Explorer (not sure if you are though) there is a add on you can install that works with IE and this said add on is a spell checker.

Yes, indeed, I DO have my work cut out for me!

EDIT:
Teriyaki Terrier--
Please see (the new) point #8. Also, Zac called the effort noble, not notable. Cool
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:52 pm Reply with quote
In my experience, people who get warped out of shape by minor spelling and grammar mistakes are joyless, pedantic nimrods who try to paper over the howling vacuity of their existence with meaningless bullshit like this.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
In my experience, people who get warped out of shape by minor spelling and grammar mistakes are joyless, pedantic nimrods who try to paper over the howling vacuity of their existence with meaningless bullshit like this.

I see.

Will a moderator please lock this thread?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1