• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Detroit's Maid Cafe 'Chou Anime' Closes Its Doors

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
What gave them the idea it would work in Detroit given how many people are at the poverty level. It would have worked somewhere like San Francisco, or maybe Las Vegas.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:
Well that a shame it seems the maid cafe just don't work in the US

The owners should have just made it a host club. All the women and booze you can handle?

I think we call that in America a "Strip Club."
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
What gave them the idea it would work in Detroit given how many people are at the poverty level. It would have worked somewhere like San Francisco, or maybe Las Vegas.

You'd have better luck setting up a maid cafe in Vegas or Atlantic City.

@ BriAnime: I wouldn't be surprised if the owner came down with what Anthony Bourdain calls "owner's syndrome". Maybe the owner only wanted to show off his love of anime/manga/maids instead of making money. Maybe the owner might have also started the cafe to get laid. Reminds me of this anecdote about a retired dentist who was always told he threw great dinner parties. "You should open up a restaurant," his friends tell him. The dentist believes them. He opens the restaurant, not to make Dead Presidents, but to run around signing dinner checks like Rick from Casablanca. Anyone who starts a restaurant for the sex, or for complements, or to show off their shit, is unprepared for the realities of the business. I know--I've been working in restaurants since high school. I've done everything except serving, hosting, and managing. I've seen restaurants that are dead, restaurants that are busy, all the stuff in between.

If the owner did it for love, they're a danger to themselves and others. Love for maids, love for hosts, love for George Gershwin's music (Always wanted a cabaret joint to present his tunes), love for the landshiply cooking of fieldly Mexico (And it'll be authentic, too! No frozen margaritas!), love of 18th-century French antiques (I need a restaurant to show off this stuff--what great taste I have!), love for that great movie they have all the memorabilia from.

If you're going to be a successful restauranteur, you may as well live on the premises for the first few years. We're looking at 17-hour shifts, TOTAL involvement in this harsh, tough trade. You must be fluent in Spanish (As most of the cooks are Latin American immigrants who may or may not be here legally), health codes, tax law, fire/building codes, environmental laws, OSHA regulations, labor laws, zoning, insurance, liquor licenses, trash removal, linen, grease disposal. Then you have Murphy's Law to deal with: Suddenly, the drains in your kitchen are backed up with raw sewage, pushing hundreds of gallons of impacted shit into your dining room; your coke-addled chef just yelled racial slurs at that hot Asian waitress who's working her way through law school, ensuring your presence in court for half a year; your bartender is giving away drinks to underage girls who could crash their dad's Escalade into a busload of Jerry's Kids, putting your liquor license in danger; the Ansel System could go off and shut down your kitchen in the middle of a busy night; the ongoing struggle with rodents and cockroaches; you just bought a bunch of fish and seafood when the market was low but now your freezer's gone to shit on a holiday weekend so you'll have trouble getting a repair guy in time; your dishwasher just walked out after arguing with the busboy and X table needs glasses NOW; Homeland Security is at the door for a surprise check of your kitchen's green cards; the produce guy wants a certified check or he's taking back your food delivery; you didn't order enough napkins for the weekend--and is that food critic waiting for your hostess to stop flirting and notice her?
kazume

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
kusanagi-sama wrote:

@ BriAnime: I wouldn't be surprised if the owner came down with what Anthony Bourdain calls "owner's syndrome". Maybe the owner only wanted to show off his love of anime/manga/maids instead of making money. Maybe the owner might have also started the cafe to get laid. Reminds me of this anecdote about a retired dentist who was always told he threw great dinner parties. "You should open up a restaurant," his friends tell him. The dentist believes them. He opens the restaurant, not to make Dead Presidents, but to run around signing dinner checks like Rick from Casablanca. Anyone who starts a restaurant for the sex, or for complements, or to show off their shit, is unprepared for the realities of the business. I know--I've been working in restaurants since high school. I've done everything except serving, hosting, and managing. I've seen restaurants that are dead, restaurants that are busy, all the stuff in between.

If the owner did it for love, they're a danger to themselves and others. Love for maids, love for hosts, love for George Gershwin's music (Always wanted a cabaret joint to present his tunes), love for the landshiply cooking of fieldly Mexico (And it'll be authentic, too! No frozen margaritas!), love of 18th-century French antiques (I need a restaurant to show off this stuff--what great taste I have!), love for that great movie they have all the memorabilia from.

If you're going to be a successful restauranteur, you may as well live on the premises for the first few years. We're looking at 17-hour shifts, TOTAL involvement in this harsh, tough trade. You must be fluent in Spanish (As most of the cooks are Latin American immigrants who may or may not be here legally), health codes, tax law, fire/building codes, environmental laws, OSHA regulations, labor laws, zoning, insurance, liquor licenses, trash removal, linen, grease disposal. Then you have Murphy's Law to deal with: Suddenly, the drains in your kitchen are backed up with raw sewage, pushing hundreds of gallons of impacted shit into your dining room; your coke-addled chef just yelled racial slurs at that hot Asian waitress who's working her way through law school, ensuring your presence in court for half a year; your bartender is giving away drinks to underage girls who could crash their dad's Escalade into a busload of Jerry's Kids, putting your liquor license in danger; the Ansel System could go off and shut down your kitchen in the middle of a busy night; the ongoing struggle with rodents and cockroaches; you just bought a bunch of fish and seafood when the market was low but now your freezer's gone to shit on a holiday weekend so you'll have trouble getting a repair guy in time; your dishwasher just walked out after arguing with the busboy and X table needs glasses NOW; Homeland Security is at the door for a surprise check of your kitchen's green cards; the produce guy wants a certified check or he's taking back your food delivery; you didn't order enough napkins for the weekend--and is that food critic waiting for your hostess to stop flirting and notice her?

Forgot one thing; this concept is basically a take on a sort of american Hooters, but with a jpn take on it

Translation: you gotta have cute girls there... plain and simple
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:21 am Reply with quote
The one here in Bangkok closed before I arrived too.

What gaijin don't understand is Japanese maid cafes are sleazy, offering massages... the ones outside Japan can't and don't.

I wouldn't mind working in a maid cafe. Razz
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:41 am Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
kusanagi-sama wrote:

@ BriAnime: I wouldn't be surprised if the owner came down with what Anthony Bourdain calls "owner's syndrome". Maybe the owner only wanted to show off his love of anime/manga/maids instead of making money. Maybe the owner might have also started the cafe to get laid.

I guess you thought the owner was male or something? :/
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:14 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
@ BriAnime: I wouldn't be surprised if the owner came down with what Anthony Bourdain calls "owner's syndrome". Maybe the owner only wanted to show off his love of anime/manga/maids instead of making money. Maybe the owner might have also started the cafe to get laid.

I guess you thought the owner was male or something? :/[/quote]

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120812/OPINION03/208120314#ixzz29RZlRrSz

Quote:
Chou Anime (cho an-i-may) Cafe opened on Woodward at Willis in Midtown in mid-June. Its owners, Oneka and Joe Samet of Birmingham, say it's the only brick and mortar maid cafe now operating in the United States.

Couple? Maybe the wife had a thing for meido or young black girls.....
BonusStage

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:17 am Reply with quote
surprised it didn't spark controversy over having black girls in maid outfits serving people.. with the way people like to complain about everything these days...
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:23 am Reply with quote
It was probably too much of a curio to draw too many complaints. Well, that and it was pretty much always doomed to failure - the place didn't even nuke the instant ramen for you.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:37 am Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
surprised it didn't spark controversy over having black girls in maid outfits serving people.. with the way people like to complain about everything these days...

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2012/08/15/detroit-maid-cafe-stuns-japanese/
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Clyde_Cash wrote:
kusanagi-sama wrote:

I guess you thought the owner was male or something? :/

That or a lesbian/bisexual woman.

But starting a restaurant to get laid does happen. Looking back at our dentist, he might start a restaurant to get the 8's, 9's, and 10's he could never pull while drilling teeth. And he probably WILL get laid. He may not be entirely misguided in writing checks with his Johnson. The restaurant business has pretty relaxed mores when it comes to casual sex, and there are plenty of waitresses and hostesses for whom heamedlock with middle-aged men isn't wholly unfamiliar.

@ faintsmile: I've never heard about Japanese maid cafes being sleazy. I thought they left that stuff to hookers and perhaps hostesses.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:10 am Reply with quote
Y'know what these maid cafe failures need? Laughing

Have ya watched those TV series like Bar Rescue, or Kitchen Nightmares, or Restaurant: Impossible on the Food Network? Here's a quick description:

• It's a phenomenon that's sweeping food television -- reality shows that make over struggling small businesses using limited resources... Each has a slightly different angle, but the overall recipe is the same: mix one memorable host with a failing restaurant, add drama, turn up the heat with personality conflicts, and close with a winning (or losing) outcome.

So they need to take a Maid Cafe business expert in Japan to get this businesses in ship-shape and get a TV series out of it! Laughing
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:03 pm Reply with quote
SlamJamBarkley wrote:
who thought it was a good idea to dress up a bunch of black people in maid costumes and have them call people master
Exactly. That would be big in Birmingham, AL, or Jackson, MS, but Detroit? I'm actually more surprised they never got burned out for that.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I will just paraphrase what someone else opined: If you must open a maid cafe, then make it one of those temporary stands/outfits that one might find at an anime convention -- seriously, there is not enough of a market anywhere in the U.S. to support a stand-alone maid cafe.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
SlamJamBarkley wrote:
who thought it was a good idea to dress up a bunch of black people in maid costumes and have them call people master
Exactly. That would be big in Birmingham, AL, or Jackson, MS, but Detroit? I'm actually more surprised they never got burned out for that.

Oh they did, but who takes 2ch or 4chan seriously now? Cold hard truth never get's told less you risk being called out on that.

enurtsol wrote:
Y'know what these maid cafe failures need? Laughing

Have ya watched those TV series like Bar Rescue, or Kitchen Nightmares, or Restaurant: Impossible on the Food Network? Here's a quick description:

Wrong. Bar Rescue is on SpikeTV.

Then again, with themed restaurants, it's a hit or miss. Some work, others......are questionable.

Quote:
So they need to take a Maid Cafe business expert in Japan to get this businesses in ship-shape and get a TV series out of it! Laughing

One has to wonder if any of the shows would try to tackle such an odd choice of venue. Or even figure out what the hell was going on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4