• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Improved Character Tournament: Participants/Minigame

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Looking back, xxxHolic Kei covers to the end of the Himawari arc of the manga. The OVAs seem to cover a bit further but I actually haven't seen them, which is why they weren't included in my original nomination. If someone has seen them though, it would be good to hear more, since it looks as though the last one covers the part where spoiler[Watanuki is running the shop].

Also, since Homura from Madoka Magica's name is getting tossed about, I'm going to have to say that I would probably vote against her inclusion, mainly because I feel that episode 10 isn't really so much character development as it is revelation to the audience of her backstory. Homura herself hasn't really changed from the character she was in episode 1; we, the audience, just suddenly know more about her.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:37 pm Reply with quote
The xxxHolic OVAs actually fill in gaps in the manga so in the case of those I suppose you can take the manga events into consideration.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Supporting:
Fakir (Princess Tutu)
Yukari Hayasaka (Paradise Kiss)

Opposing:
Soichiro Arima (His and Her Circumstances)- While Yukino is certainly deserving of her spot for this tournament, I can't say the same for Arima. Going by the anime towards its end, Arima is still haunted by his past as he still seems to be putting on somewhat of a facade in front of others, including Yukino. Worst yet, he is becoming increasingly possessive of Yukino by that point as spoiler[he shows his dark side to Tonami when Arima becomes jealous of the closeness that the boy develops with Yukino.]

I'll have a couple more entries to post sometime tonight before I get to bed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kamaduck

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Voting For:

Fakir (Princess Tutu)
Mytho (Princess Tutu)
Scar (FMA:B)
Naruto (Naruto)
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
The xxxHolic OVAs actually fill in gaps in the manga so in the case of those I suppose you can take the manga events into consideration.

The "no manga material" rule is pretty strict so if events from the manga aren't actually adapted, then they cannot be used.

Watanuki still has had quite a bit of character development up to the Rei season anyway though, since the Himiwari arc is a pretty important one.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:06 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
The "no manga material" rule is pretty strict so if events from the manga aren't actually adapted, then they cannot be used.

Watanuki still has had quite a bit of character development up to the Rei season anyway though, since the Himiwari arc is a pretty important one.

Still, the OVAs show Watanuki's end point so it can be used in that sense.
Symmetrical_Magician

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:22 am Reply with quote
Voting for:

Mytho (Princess Tutu)
Usagi Tsukino (Sailor Moon)
Yoko Nakajima (Twelve Kingdoms)

I almost want to nominate, Rue, too... But really, we've already got two Princess Tutu characters, and I'm reasonably sure that most of them deserve to be solid contenders. Rue was actually who I thought of first in reading about this. I was, however, pleasantly surprised that someone mentioned Mytho, given how often people seem to ignore him entirely and almost view the "real" main cast as three people.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:29 am Reply with quote
The rules allow three nominations per franchise. I think Rue would be a worthy nomination.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:34 am Reply with quote
Fakir and Mytho jumped out at me first but I also agree that Rue would be a good choice for a nomination, though I don't think overall she would be as strong of a contender. Of course, you never know what will happen once the actual tournament is underway.

Oddly enough, the only one of the four I don't see fitting in here well would be Duck herself, who has development but not to the same extent, since she starts off awesome and continues to be awesome.

As for the xxxHolic debate, I am going to go back and edit the nomination to reflect the OVAs being included as well, though I will still need to track them down in order to use the events there for arguments once the tournament begins.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:08 am Reply with quote
Nominatons:

Haruyuki Arita (Silver Crow), Accel World Picture

Who he is: Haruyuki Arita is a short, fat boy who is often bullied in school for his physical appearance; he has low self-esteem and views himself in a negative light.

How he improves: Upon meeting the school's beauty, Princess Snow Black (Kuroyukihime), Haruyuki's life changes when he enters into the world of Brain Burst which provides him with a sense of self worth; it is through his battled and experienced in Brain Burst with Princess Snow Black that he begins to evolve. He finds something that he can be proud of in himself and he becomes much stronger. In one episode, when Haruyuki is bullied for an act he did not commit, instead of submitting to the bully like his past self would, Haruyuki stands up for himself and takes on the beating and denounces the accusations he was targeted with; later on, the bully apologizes to Haruyuki for the beating and false accusation.

Akemi Homura, Puella Magi Madoka Magica Picture

Who she is: Homura is a magical girl who first appears in an apocalyptic nightmare of Madoka's. She transfers into her school the day after the dream. She is a beautiful, mysterious individual that performs exceptionally well in academics and athletics. This makes her instantly popular even though she is cold to others. (Taken from MAL)

How she improves: Homura appears as a cold and cruel character in the first episode of Madoka Magica, going as far as attacking the mascot of the show, Kyubey. However, as the series advances, subtle details of Homura's motives are revealed and when episode 10 hits, much of her character is revealed. It is revealed in [episode 10 spoilers] spoiler[the tenth episode that Homura is a time traveler; prior to the current timeline of Madoka Magica, Homura was a shy and sickly girl. She was subservient and had no friend until she is befriended by Madoka in that timeline. Upon learning about Madoka being a Magical Girl and Madoka's death later on in that timeline, Homura wishes to become a Magical Girl to save Madoka. In subsequent timeline, Homura witnesses various accounts of her fellow Magical Girl suffer horrible deaths and grows increasingly stoic and determined to save Madoka.] Through these experiences, Homura grows to become stoic, courageous, selfless, which is far different from the subdued and shy shelf she was revealed to be in episode 10.

I feel that my nominations do no justice to these two candidates so, please, if anyone wants to improve them, please do. I'll vote later when I'm not drunk.
Galap

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:44 am Reply with quote
Nomination:

Yuu Gotou, Noein

Ok, I’m going to just blackbox the whole thing because I don’t want the post to look like blackbox swiss cheese. There are obviously major spoilers, so if you care about spoilers for Noein, here’s your protection.

Who he is: spoiler[Yuu is one of the main characters of the show. He hates the pressure to succeed that's put on him by his mother and responds by doing things like ditching cram school and wandering around with his friends in dark places at night. He likes the main character, Haruka, but is a bit of a jerk to her, and his other friends, often acting very selfish and antisocial. In the Lacrima future universe, he becomes known as Karasu, a powerful Dragon Knight who travels the multiverse of possible universes and timelines to recover the Dragon Torc, an object that should protect the universes that have converged to form Lacrima from the metaphysical erosion of Shangri-La. In the Shangri-La future universe, he becomes known as Noein, an extremely powerful being who assimilates universes into his Shangri-La in order to destroy and recreate the multiverse without sadness.]

How he improves: spoiler[Due to the nature of the series, spanning multiple timelines in multiple universes, and the fact that there are 3 main versions of the character, the improvement happens in several facets. The story of the Noein version is perhaps best to start with, although Noein (whose actions are ultimately portrayed as bad) does not redeem himself. Noein started as Yuu in the mid 00s time period. Untouched by the events of the show, however his future was to never reveal his love for Haruka, and to ultimately watch her die in an accident. After the quantum revolution, he gained power and began to assimilate all the other universes, turning them to the ever growing coherent Shangri-La, with the ultimate purpose of obliterating the universe and recreating it in his image.]

spoiler[Another path of development for Yuu was to become Karasu, the dragon soldier. In Karasu’s universe, Haruka sacrificed herself to become the core of the quantum computer protecting Lacrima from the erosion of Shangri-La. Karasu himself grows quite a bit as the series progresses, initially being cold and harsh due to his Haruka’s death, and telling Yuu that he is incapable of saving Haruka. Over the course of the show, however, he decides to protect the mid 00s Haruka and her friends, and helps Yuu out with his problems and catalyzes the romance between Yuu and Haruka.]

spoiler[Yuu in his pre divergence form is a very depressed, angsty, aimless, and disturbed preteen. He tries to run away from home and drag Haruka along with him. He doesn’t want to try in school, and is completely inept at dealing with Haruka, whom he likes. When he meets Karasu he initially hates him (which shows how he hates himself) and is jealous of Karasu’s dragon knight power and ability to communicate well with Haruka. After much argument, Karasu eventually realizes this and eventually the two come to tolerate each other (which means that Yuu can tolerate himself). He finds the desire to perform in school after his mother stops pressuring him too much and stops being so much of a dick to others, especially Haruka. At the end of the show, he ultimately is presented with a choice of who he wants to be, Karasu or Noein. He chooses the Karasu path of self development, and rejects Noein, playing his part in saving the multiverse. Up to this point he had still been somewhat aimless, but now he knows what direction he wants to lead his life.]

Picture: http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k283/pssgels/Noein-09-1.png
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:53 am Reply with quote
@ Galap,

Please consider the dilemma you are creating for me. I haven't seen Noein so I'm not going to read your spoilers. But... I will have to rely on your nomination if you want me to vote for Yuu Gotou. Which means that, while your nomination is entirely spoilered, I can't vote for him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:02 am Reply with quote
Here's another nominee I will do before calling it a night:

Tsukasa
, .hack//SIGN
Who He Is: Tsukasa is a young player within the online virtual game called The World who finds himself incapable of logging out of it and encountering mysterious characters such as an NPC with a head that looks like a cat, a young girl floating above a bed while sleeping and a voice that acknowledges him from the sky. He finds himself being different from other players as he can feel pain, is capable of warping to areas of the game players are normally incapable of accessing and is in possession of a monster called a Guardian capable of inflicting direct harm onto other players within reality. His unique abilities lead him to become a target of the Crimson Knights, a player-formed faction tasked with retaining balance within the game by apprehending cheaters and hackers.
How He Improves: Tsukasa starts off as a loner with no interest in interacting with others or performing in regular activities within the World as he was more interested in causing trouble for others. As his time in the World continues though, Tsukasa finds himself contemplating his truly helpless situation within the World, his inability to socialize positively with others and having flashbacks of an abusive past from his real life father. Tsukasa’s interactions with players Mimiru, Bear and Subaru allow him to realize that there are people who care for him as he starts to become more open and sociable with others, as well as gaining confidence in himself to find the means he needs to free himself from the World.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:39 am Reply with quote
Nomination:
Kyoko Mogami from Skip Beat!

Who she is: Kyoko starts off as a shy girl selflessly working two jobs for the sake of her childhood friend, an egocentric pop-idol Shou. When she discovers he was only using her, Kyoko decides to become a star to get her revenge and make him regret that he lost her.

How she improves: Kyoko has got talent, but at the beginning, her obsession with Shou stand in the way to show what she is fully capable of. The president of the talent agency sees that she is lacking a genuine love for the profession she chose and assigns her to a 'Love me team'- a training that opens Kyoko's eyes and mind, helps her find a real passion for performing and a goal in life that has nothing to do with revenge on Shou. Kyoko's talent is blooming throughout the series and she does not cease to surprise. And alongside her talent, she develops bonds with other people and help them leave their shells.

Photo

Last edited by Unicorn_Blade on Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:54 am; edited 1 time in total
4750G

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:55 am Reply with quote
Vote For:

Youko, Twelve Kingdoms
Saber, Fate/Stay Night
Usagi, Sailor Moon
Taiga, Toradora!
Taichi, Chihayafuru
Naruto, Naruto
Scar, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Kyoko, Skip Beat!

I'd like to vote for a couple more, but I haven't finished the shows they're parts of so I think won't. I really should get around finishing those...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 28