• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chihayafuru (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Easily my favorite show of the season. I would say it is on the shortlist for top show of 2012.

I think they managed to take it up to a decent stopping point, but this show deserves a second season more than just about any I have seen. The direction and writing and music and artwork and acting were all excellent. The entire show was ROCK SOLID.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Not a bad series overall although it didn't make it into my top 5 this season around. 7/10 for me and remember...karuta is serious business.

I enjoyed it quite a bit, and would love to see more made (however unlikely that is...). It's also the only show for this season that I'm currently importing. While I liked a few of the other series that I've watched via CR, I didn't feel that they were worth the cost of getting them from AmazonJP. I won't rule out purchasing some future US BD releases of them, but even that may be unlikely.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:24 pm Reply with quote
One interesting tidbit about the end, that I really had to think about in regards to current reigning King and Queen.
Mr. suddenly polite Karuta society head who brazenly disrupted a Queen qualifier match remarks that: the current King and Queen had no teachers and laments the fact that they can not teach because of that.

Given the length of the reigns (4 years for King, 2 years for Queen) and that no one appears even remotely close to even challenging them in a trivial manner, his remark could be taken in many ways.
A. A teacher will give you all the skills you need spoiler[to lose by 20 cards to one of these self taught freaks of nature]. In the Kings case, 4 years, no one has devised a strategy yet?
B. That the highly effective styles that they have stumbled upon by themselves , WITH NO GUIDANCE, will not be passed along.

Maybe they are waiting on indifference by the current king and queen, when no serious challengers remain, the contestants move on to ice cream stick reward collecting.
This is all we get.
thedragon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:42 am Reply with quote
My love for this series is because it gives me moments where, during one episode near the end I'm bawling my eyes out and the very beginning of the next episode I'm laughing so hard my sides hurt. This is is the beauty of this series.

BTW is there any, ANY, mention anywhere at all of a second season? I'm chomping at the bit to read the manga, but only if there's no chance (ala His and Her Circumstances) that I can't watch the rest of it animated.

P.S. I'm the kind of insane/OCD type of anime/manga viewer/reader where if I come across the manga first I have to read the entire thing before watching the anime or if I come across the show first I have to watch every episode (even if there's a slight hint more episodes might be forthcoming a year from now) before touching the manga.

Last edited by thedragon on Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:03 am Reply with quote
Unless you can read Japanese, the fan translation of the manga is still pretty far behind the point where the anime ended.

As far as hints at a second season, nothing as far as I know.
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:24 am Reply with quote
There is an internet rumor that Chihayafuru season two will be made in 2013 or 2014. I am not ready to believe it, because we have absolutely no official confirmation. But Belief and Hope are two different things. I certainly hope we see a second season next year.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:49 pm Reply with quote
So here is my input for the series that apparently has just adjourned (I say apparently because of the way it ended, but the important thing is I guess I'd like to see more as in a 2nd season):

Taking this ending as it is, it didn't really leave much drastically unresolved. There's no one that Chihaya needs to beat that she knows she currently has any chance of beating. The Karuta club was successful in it's goals overall, to the point that it gained the full support and blessing of the 2nd most senior staff committee member. And I like how it portrays the situation in a realistic way with talking about money, other school clubs needing the space, etc.

A big thing about the show that impressed me is Desktomu-kun. He started out as a quiet nerd with no friends and at the end of the series is a close acquaintance of the girl that all the popular guys fantasize about. And he and Kana-chan are quite the cute pair.

So mostly I'm satisfied with this show, but I think Arata was left out of the picture too much. The first few episodes were very deceptive in laying the groundwork for this show and how things would pan out.

And another thing, do people from Fukui really talk that way? Their accent ("their" meaning everyone who was a relative of Arata or lived near him) just seemed so forced, like they didn't have enough seiyuu who actually had that accent but could fake one good enough. I know people from that area have an unusual derivation of the Kansai dialect but I didn't think it could be so distinct and guttural.
mbanu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:19 am Reply with quote
I've heard that this show was broadcast on TV in Japan at 1:30AM... is this true? That seems like a strange and counterproductive time-slot for this kind of show...
4750G

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:17 am Reply with quote
mbanu wrote:
I've heard that this show was broadcast on TV in Japan at 1:30AM... is this true? That seems like a strange and counterproductive time-slot for this kind of show...

That's actually nothing to be surprised about. A lot of anime are aired late at night. Take for example this season. Sankarea airs at 1:55 am, Acchi Kocchi at 1:25 am, Dusk Maiden of Amnesia at 12:30 am, and so forth. I'm not quite sure what the idea behind that is. I guess hardcore fans are willing to stay up at night just to watch anime.

However, Chihayafuru was not really the kind of anime that appeals to hardcore fans. It's a josei anime, so quite the small fan base. Even if it does have a big fan base, I don't think they're the type of people who'd stay up all night to watch one show. I suggest you read this news clip, but only if you can read Japanese.

Chihayafuru was considered not very profitable because of low DVD sales, if I'm not mistaken. But given the good reviews it had, maybe it would have been more popular if it were given a better time slot. Sadly, that's not what happened.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:49 pm Reply with quote
The series returns!

Season 2, episode 1
Okay, so apparently there will be spoiler[romance] in this sequel based on the first episode involving that new girl. At any rate, I am glad the series is back with most of the main characters. spoiler[It seems that the club is getting some new members or rather potential members since none of them knows about the Karuta game itself.]

One of the girls, spoiler[Sumire Hanano seems to be also aiming for Tachi because of his look and the way he talks according to her.] Oh snap, that spells out drama later on I bet.

Based on a small comment Tachi made as well as the OP song, I am expecting a rematch in the near future between Chihaya and Shinou. Make it happen! Anyways, wonderful first episode and easily one of my favorite pilot episodes of the Winter Season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:42 pm Reply with quote
This episode just flew by, can't wait to see the next big story arc for the season. Looks like there's one new character under development already.

I heard a lot of hype about this show getting a second season last month so I decided to marathon the entire first season. It was quite unlike what I would expect from a Josei genre, as many of the events and situations played out like something you'd see in a Shounen style anime. I hope it'll continue on with this style and not spoiler[fall too heavily into the romantic love triangle that's been implied the entire time, though I think if the story wraps up this season, it'll be inevitable.]
rosebrook11

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Somehow I was able to watch the new episode on Crunchyroll and it definitely did not disappoint me.

I thought that Sumire's character introduction was done quite cleverly and she seems to fit in with the tone of the serious. The overall sense that I got from her was ridiculous, but at the same time her character also had heart and that heart I think is what defines the characters of the show.

My favorite moment had to have been Taichi's subtle reaction when spoiler[the first goal that Chihaya stated was for him to make A-Class. You could really see how much it meant to him]

I'm really looking forward to watching more and I'm thrilled that it will be 25 episodes long!
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 1:

Yeah, Sumine doesn't stand a chance against spoiler[Childhood Love!!] I like how she burst into tearsspoiler[ when she read one of the 100 poems]. Much like the other members, spoiler[she found one that struck a chord to her]. Hopefully, this "love triangle" won't take up more than, say, three episodes. The next episode might introduce the new male character so, I look forward to that.

Kana-chan bringing out the tough love towards the newbies and Taichi still scorned about not making Class A were some of the highlights of Ep. 1. Glad to see it back!
Riddley

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:16 pm Reply with quote
You guys have no idea how excited I was for this new season and I'm not disappointed. The new episode feels like it picks up right where it left off. I can hardly believe it's been nearly a year since the 1st season ended! Crazy to think of it.

Really looking forward to seeing how the relationships pan out in this season and see how far they go into the manga.
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:35 am Reply with quote
I didn't watch the first season when it came out, but I saw it over the last week or so, and I thought it was pretty good. Now I'm caught up with ep1 of the second season, and holy hell, the animation in S2 is WAY better than season 1. Season 1 was pretty meh, but this episode had some real cool looking moments, like Chihaya sprinting to the door when the first years knock, and Chihaya and Porky walking down the dark hallway with Porky saying he wants melon bread.

The shot composition/storyboarding is way better too, with lots of shots where objects eclipse each other, like showing Arata taking cards through those wooden poles (was it a crib?) and when spoiler[Sumire cries at one of the poems, Chihaya' s face in the distance is half blocked by the paper Sumire is holding.] I really liked those touches.

As for the story, it may sound odd to say it, but Sumire reminds me of myself when I was in high school quite a lot, with regards to how I handled romantic stuff. It will be funny to see how things progress for her. This episode dug up some amusing memories:lol:
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 16