• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st Banner of the Stars Novel Volume in 8 Years Slated

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:22 am Reply with quote
This is at least a little bit of good news, to be sure, since those long years of hiatus aren't exactly considered admirable.

Too bad most of us probably won't be able to read it and there's really no reason to expect a new anime adaptation of the property at this point.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:15 am Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
...there's really no reason to expect a new anime adaptation of the property at this point.

I wouldn't be so sure, with the number of many-year-old properties that have been coming back to air the last couple years.

... And if Motoko Kusanagi can get a new anime, surely Lafiel can.
4nBlue

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:23 am Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
This is at least a little bit of good news, to be sure, since those long years of hiatus aren't exactly considered admirable.

Too bad most of us probably won't be able to read it and there's really no reason to expect a new anime adaptation of the property at this point.

A new manga adaption of Crest of Stars started last summer, this time with good art style.

Clearly there is a push to revive the franchise, so new anime is not totally impossible.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:25 am Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:

Probably. It's not the type of novel to get animated recently. There's almost no fetish to draw viewers in.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:54 am Reply with quote
I think a lot of people forget Banner 3 because it did not receive a US release. But this is one of my top 3 series of all time, and I know he has always stated he wanted to go through Lafiel at least becoming empress so I want to see/read more. Although I hope he finds some way around Jinto aging fast and dying, I mean he already hinted at in one of the animes that humans did experiments on themselves and age slower, the one episode with the Col. guy who was a douche.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:51 am Reply with quote
I would have loved to read it and the rest of the un-domestically-published Banner/Fragments novels, but I highly doubt it will happen, since they're too obscure to be license rescue material. Sad
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:15 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
[I wouldn't be so sure, with the number of many-year-old properties that have been coming back to air the last couple years.

... And if Motoko Kusanagi can get a new anime, surely Lafiel can.

True, but we both know they'll never get all of them to come back. That's why I'd rather be cautious. And well...I am under the impression that Ghost in the Shell has been a more successful property, at least in animated form, than Crest/Banner of the Stars. It might just be a matter of perception though.

4nBlue wrote:

A new manga adaption of Crest of Stars started last summer, this time with good art style.

Clearly there is a push to revive the franchise, so new anime is not totally impossible.

You're right in that it's not literally impossible, but I'm trying to not get too optimistic about that beforehand. I'd much prefer to be wrong by being overly cautious rather than the opposite. Especially since I believe they didn't get to make an animated adaptation of the last novel either, but I have to admit the reasons for that aren't clear (reduced sales, limited interest, budget issues, timing, pacing, lack of content, something else?).

On the other hand...I certainly didn't know about the manga though, so that's also good news. I do have to wonder if it's usually easier to make new manga as opposed to new anime, all things considered, but if this marketing push does lead to more content at some point down the line, my concerns would automatically disappear.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:57 am Reply with quote
Crest/Banner of the Stars never had GitS-level popularity, but it was popular enough to merit three one-cour TV series, a two-episode OVA, and a bonus one-shot OVA, for 39 total episodes plus two compilation movies. Franchises that get such extensive treatment are definitely minorities, so it was considerably more popular than the norm, and that gives it a fighting chance for an eventual revival. I'd love to see it if it does happen, as that's one of my favorite franchises.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nhat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:36 am Reply with quote
This is one of the best space operas I seen.

I highly recommend anyone who is interested in space operas and coming of age stories to read or watch the series.
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:30 am Reply with quote
I am beyond happy.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I'd love to see it if it does happen, as that's one of my favorite franchises.

Personally speaking, I'd definitely like to see another Crest/Banner of the Stars anime production myself too. But at the same time, I don't want to get my hopes up too much without an official announcement. Even when dealing with popular properties, novel and/or manga series can continue for years and years, long after their animated adaptations have stopped being produced.

On a different note...in terms of speculation, there's also the issue of whether or not they could try to get some of the same staff back and what studio (if it's not Sunrise again, for example) would be responsible for any potential revival.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:27 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
I am under the impression that Ghost in the Shell has been a more successful property, at least in animated form, than Crest/Banner of the Stars. It might just be a matter of perception though.

Heh, I think I was being too obtuse. That is my understanding too; though as Key said, that didn't stop the franchise from growing to 39 episodes. What I was alluding to is that I feel Lafiel has a substantially higher moe quotient than the Major, which could help her franchise along to an animated revival.
partially

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Maybe if they actually did another cour series we could finally get the OVAs which are essentially season 3.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I've never read any of the novels but the anime adaption is one of my favorite shows. Honestly, I thought the OAV was a great stopping point for the series but I wouldn't complain if Sunrise decided to adapt more.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Anything would be nice, we haven't had a decent space opera since Macross Frontier. I guess the new Yamato might count, but it's just an expanded redo of the 74 series. But above all that, nothing else comes close to the scale of Crest of the Stars other than Legend of the Galactic Heroes. It might be due to the way the series are portrayed, or the lack of episodes to grow, but I never get the sense of a large conflict or collection of systems in shows like Mouretsu Pirates or To Terra. Those shows have narrow scopes. That goes even more for all of Gundam, which never leaves the solar system.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2