• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Trinity Blood Film Details

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The full theater list for Basilisk is not yet available, however the following three National Amusement locations have been confirmed:

The Bridge Cinema De Lux, Los Angeles, CA
Showcase Cinemas Ann Arbor, Ypsilanti, MI
Showcase Cinemas Revere, Revere, MA

Hey, don't you mean the full theater list for Trinity Blood and not Basilisk?
megumi's guy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:51 pm Reply with quote
So they are sticking four episodes together and making a "movie". Now that's original.
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:18 pm Reply with quote
megumi's guy wrote:
So they are sticking four episodes together and making a "movie". Now that's original.

Don't worry. It's just for the theatrical releases. The DVDs will have each episode fully intact and unedited.
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:31 pm Reply with quote
theoriginalbilis wrote:
megumi's guy wrote:

Don't worry. It's just for the theatrical releases. The DVDs will have each episode fully intact and unedited.

I think the point was that making a movie out of the first four episodes of a series is extraordinarily lame. At least with the X-files movie, there was an incentive for people who had already watched the series to lay down $9. Imagine asking someone to go see the first four episodes of the X-files in the theatre - "yeah right" - but wait, there is a new opening and closer! "Oh, WELL then...I've GOT to see THAT!"

pfft I would never pay money to see four episodes in a theatre that I've already paid to see on my TV. Yeesh.

Cha-ching, though, $aves a lot of production money. The new opening and closer better be utterly fantastic.
Someone_II

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Trinity Blood opens on May 5.

is that everywhere or just certian places, also will this or basilisk [at some point] play in canada?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Someone_II wrote:
Quote:
Trinity Blood opens on May 5.

is that everywhere or just certian places,

Considering that

Quote:
Dragon Ball Z and Basilisk [...] screened in 22 and 13 theaters respectively.

I think there's a reasonably good chance it will be "select theatres" only.

Seems they weren't even able to get the "35 top markets/100 screen" distribution they were talking about initially (though that may not be Funi's fault, it could be that not as many theatres as they had hoped are willing to take a chance with non-Ghibli anime, even if it's just late-evening screenings).

Quote:
also will this or basilisk [at some point] play in canada?

Eh, they'd probably have to work out some kind of distribution deal with a company like Alliance Atlantis Films.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I think that it will probably get harder and harder to find theaters to squeeze this type of promotional screening in as it gets closer to summer and Christmas. 10 PM shows aren't discount friendly depending on the day and theater.

Also, some theaters may not consider US distributed anime as "foreign and independent titles" and may not show it.

Basilisk didn't even make it to Chicago. What a shame!
BluWacky

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:55 am Reply with quote
DriftRoot wrote:

Cha-ching, though, $aves a lot of production money. The new opening and closer better be utterly fantastic.

Where does it say there will be a new OP and ED? It just says that a full opening and ending will be on the "film"; the only thing I can see them changing is putting credits for the characters that don't show up in all the episodes on one credits list (which would be most of them, as the first two episodes of Trinity Blood are filler and have mostly nothing to do with the first arc; then again, Trinity Blood then goes on to ignore that arc for several episodes...)

If they did put a new OP on specifically that would make me very happy; while "dress" is a great song, Gonzo were cheap and made the OP out of episode clips so it's nice and spoilery. Not as bad as Speed Grapher, sure, but still a bit annoying.
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:55 am Reply with quote
"there will be a full opening and ending at the beginning and end of the movie"

The way in which the piece was written focused on distinguishing between what would be changed/omitted and what would not. I assumed that, if the original opening and ending were being retained, the above would instead have read "the full opening and ending of the series will appear at the beginning and end of the movie." It doesn't, though. It says "a" full opening and ending, not "the" full opening and ending. Maybe no one really knows what's going to go in there, other than the fact that there will be something (which is pretty much a given), in which case mentioning the opening and ending would be kind of redundant if it WASN'T going to be different.

/me jumps to conclusions based on other people's grammar - correct or not - all the time. Confused

And yes, using the original opening would be quite the spoiler...but the whole concept of a four-episode "movie" is such a blatant, unoriginal marketing tactic that I suppose it shouldn't be a surprise if they did keep the original stuff.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I've seen the movie in preparation for reviewing it.

The movie is dubbed only, and it does seem to compose the first four episodes run together. (Kinda jarring on the transitions, too. . .) However, the dub is really well-done, so don't let that stop you from seeing it. Overall, it's clearly intended just as a promo for the series release due this fall.

The opening theme "Dress" and the closing theme "Broken Wings" are both used, though whether or not the graphics are the same I can't say, since I never saw the fansubs. The opening graphics only cover content from the episodes used in the movie, however, and the closer has lots of concept shots of Abel with Esther (especially in a graveyard). I assume she's one of the main characters in the series and the first two girls were just one-shots?

Anyway, expect a full and proper review on it to be posted (hopefully) sometime next week.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1