• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Encouragement of Climb BD to Include Unaired Episode

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:31 am Reply with quote
This show is so short though and at 81!

lord.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:34 am Reply with quote
$1.62 per minute is a bit pricey, isn't it?
potatochobit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:38 am Reply with quote
quite expensive
I think they want to hop on the army/shoujo train, I guess people who might buy this will also get girls und panzer
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:39 am Reply with quote
50 minutes is a standard 2 episode anime volume length, and 80 bucks is standard price for those. Nothing out of the ordinary here, really.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:08 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
quite expensive
I think they want to hop on the army/shoujo train, I guess people who might buy this will also get girls und panzer

Army? Other than this series and Girls und Panzer both having girls (and they are a lot of other series with girls in 'em, so they're not exactly alone in that), I'm not immediately seeing a connection between the two...

It's a cute series, and only one disc, so I might end up purchasing it.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:58 am Reply with quote
I consider encouragement of climb a technical show
it is not about shojos picking flowers

I'm sure you've heard of
strike witches
strike witches season 2
upotte!
pixel mari-tan
I would even put haiyore! nyaruko-san in the same boat since she is portrayed as a 'technical' otaku

just because someone is a geek or a nerd or an otaku does not mean they are interested in everything
some people care about gun specs while others have the BWH ratio of their favorite idols memorized.
the otaku genre has 'specialization' within itself.

this is just my opinion, but people who are interested in these series will want to own a copy of encouragement of climb
like you said, if you are just looking for cute shojo titles there is a mountain of other choices

now, I'm not saying the general public cannot appreciate this show, I like it myself, but I dont think everyone will feel they need to own it.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:54 am Reply with quote
The thing about this show is that there's actually a point to each short episode. This week we had a bit about choosing a sleeping bag, last week, about cooking with a camping stove, and another episode showed off a tent.
Then again, the show is sponsored by companies who make camping/climbing equipment.

Of the current crop of short shows, it's probably the best, although I can't help thinking it would work better as an OVA.
supercreep

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:05 am Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:
The thing about this show is that there's actually a point to each short episode. This week we had a bit about choosing a sleeping bag, last week, about cooking with a camping stove, and another episode showed off a tent.
Then again, the show is sponsored by companies who make camping/climbing equipment.

So basically the whole series is an infomercial? Wink
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:21 am Reply with quote
supercreep wrote:
Dop.L wrote:

Most anime are. They have to pay for their timeslots and their only goal is to sell a product.
supercreep

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:25 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
supercreep wrote:
Dop.L wrote:

Most anime are. They have to pay for their timeslots and their only goal is to sell a product.

I disagree with that statement. In this particular case, the series has a direct link to product manufactures that create outdoor supplies. Even that is a tad different from watching, say, Bakemonogatari, and then buying a character figure. In this particular case, the series advertises goods that are already available, while I feel that most series simply have tie-in material.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:36 pm Reply with quote
supercreep wrote:
I disagree with that statement. In this particular case, the series has a direct link to product manufactures that create outdoor supplies. Even that is a tad different from watching, say, Bakemonogatari, and then buying a character figure. In this particular case, the series advertises goods that are already available, while I feel that most series simply have tie-in material.

So then it's just a straight commercial.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quote
supercreep wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
supercreep wrote:
Dop.L wrote:

If you want readily available, then the source material for most anime is readily available, and it bought that timeslot to advertise those. Just look at Problem Children, its LNs sales rose by 4 times when the anime started because it was a good advertisement. These anime even use commercials breaks mainly for advertising the original material and advertising other stuff that the producers of the show want you to buy.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I think its funny how one of the selling points is that it contains a shower scene
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:40 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
I think its funny how one of the selling points is that it contains a shower scene

I think it's extremely sad. This show is actually very nice, one of those "healing Anime" that are intended to make the audience feel good. But obviously with this shower scene the show's creators want to make people 'feel good' in a sexual way rather than a "d'aww, that's so cute" way.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:51 pm Reply with quote
well now you made me feel bad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2