• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tomoyo After Visual Novel versions

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saber1213

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm trying to find out the various version of the Tomoyo After visual novel, but apparently, it's such an obscure product that that info is hard to come by. Even Amazon only has the Playstation and Xbox versions listed. I know that first, there was a PC version, but wasn't a different version also released for the PC later on? I'm thinking I want to play through that second version if it exists.

Edit: Never mind. There is one. It's in a Wikipedia article that I looked at already but missed the info the first time through.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:09 pm Reply with quote
do you really want to buy a legal copy??? The memorial or all ages version is below at j-list for 60 plus dollars. Keep in mind this is not fully translated but has better ending and even tomoya is voiced over in this version.

Yes tomoyo after does have many ports, on such platforms as the ps2, psp, ps3, and xbox 360 along with many key/visual arts games.

http://www.jlist.com/product/PCG6121
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saber1213

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:18 pm Reply with quote
On second thought, now I'm not completely sure. I didn't know they were so expensive, but I suppose that's to be expected with imports. I'm sure there are fan made English patches to be had.

The reason I asked is because I am curious about the story in Tomoyo After, but the adult content bugs me. I wanted to know if there was a PC version without it since I'm not a console person. Thanks for the link. I'll keep it in mind.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Saber1213 wrote:
On second thought, now I'm not completely sure. I didn't know they were so expensive, but I suppose that's to be expected with imports. I'm sure there are fan made English patches to be had.

The reason I asked is because I am curious about the story in Tomoyo After, but the adult content bugs me. I wanted to know if there was a PC version without it since I'm not a console person. Thanks for the link. I'll keep it in mind.

That is the said version in the link and that is cheap for a key/visual arts game. It would normally cost double in not close to 160 dollars after yen to dollar conversion, when these games originally come out. I even have a copy of the game myself which is one of few imports I'm happy to own.

I also want to point out they don't even make or produce the adult version anymore. The only way to legally obtain said limited press version is in used shops in akihabara japan or via.. well you know.

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Just a heads up, but this topic should go in the Novels subforum, not the anime one.
Saber1213

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:37 am Reply with quote
And I see someone moved it. Still getting used to this place.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:59 am Reply with quote
Saber1213 wrote:
And I see someone moved it. Still getting used to this place.

well do you have anymore questions?? I'll be happy to answer to them to the best of my ability.
Saber1213

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Actually yes, I do have another question if you can answer. Others are welcome to chime in as well.

My question is what are the diferences between the versions? I got over my displeasure at finding adult content in a Clannad related product a long time ago and actually began playing the original, adult version. Finding the all ages version is proving to be more of a challenge. I'll leave my methods to the reader's imagination since that topic is off-limits here.

More specifically, in the adult version, the entire first part before the
OP consists entirely of repeated sexual encounters between Tomoya and Tomoyo with her brother Takafumi conveniently walking in on them each time. Description of the more ordinary aspects of their lives is scarce in this section of the novel. In the all ages version, how is the first part altered? What do they replace all of that sex with? What kind of additional content is added by the other Key writers? If anyone could answer, I'd be grateful.

On a side note, I find the hentai scenes rather ridiculous. Reading Tomoya's account of them licking each other's buttholes against a backdrop of beautiful music seems grossly discordant to me. Maybe it's different for the Japanese, but to my American way of thinking, the music probably should have had a more sultry, dirty tone to it. Eh, it'll take some getting used to.

Also, I've noticed that while in Clannad, the focus was on innocence and whole, harmonious families, in Tomoyo After, the emphasis is on sex and the impact of broken families. Quite a shift there. I have managed to entirely divorce this novel in my mind from the main Clannad storyline. This is fanservice that happened in one of those alternate universes to satisfy the perverts. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1