• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces Beck

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:02 am Reply with quote
Now comes the next big question. How the heck are they going to handle the Engrish? They could leave the Japanese dialouge alone and FUNi can just redub the Engrish dialouge and make the series a hybrid dub. It sort of worked for Blood the Last Vampire, right?
Dernhelm

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:12 am Reply with quote
i was wondering the same thing. how they'll be able to achieve the foreign-ness of it if they plan to dub everything.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:29 am Reply with quote
I was never a fan of dubbing songs which is their practice anyway. I hope that they leave the songs in Japanese and portray the foreign aspects of Beck appropriately since they tried so hard to bring the title to us in the first place.
Gawyn

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:35 am Reply with quote
The title "Music Director" sounds like it is very likely they will be redubbing most of the songs to me. Provided the original songs are in there for the Japanese track and possibly a hybrid track with English dialogue and Japanese songs I don't really mind too much.
omnistry

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:02 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure that Funimation knows how important the Japanese dub is to us; so they'll still have that. Still, the idea of having an English dub is ludicrous to me. It just can't be done faithfully. Like you said there could be a hybrid; but I don't want the songs to be redubbed.
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:28 am Reply with quote
doesn't Funimation usually tries to dub the songs in their titles?

as long as the songs are left in Japanese audio, I got no beef with it....but English dubbing on few of the English songs would be interesting to hear....it's so hard to understand the lyrics with heavy accent from Japanese singers....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
mike.motaku

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:18 am Reply with quote
Not an issue for me as I'll just watch the sub. If one of the distinguishing aspects of the show is the mix of Japanese and Engrish, then dubbing it at all makes no sense to me. I am curious about how they plan on handling the f-bombs. Cartoons are for kids, right? Laughing
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:55 am Reply with quote
mike.motaku wrote:
I am curious about how they plan on handling the f-bombs. Cartoons are for kids, right? :lol:

At the panel, they specifically mentioned that they are planning on making the dub be basically TV-MA-level. They *also* addressed the English-language issue, and while they can't give out details just yet, it's something they are definitely conscious of. So, there will be *some kind of* unique solution. Stay tuned for details.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Riza|Hawkeye

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:47 pm Reply with quote
this is just my opinion, but lets see if anybody agree's

by dubbing this show entirely in english, wont it just eliminate some of the aspects of the story?
i.e when Maho is talking in english, and Koyuki doesnt understand whats going on... or when Koyuki tries to speak english

anybody else think the same?

however, if FUNi do decide to dub it and dub the songs.... it could either be the greatest thing they have done, or be the worst mistake ever... dubbing COULD affect sales, especially for die-hard fans (such as myself)
bebop26

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:52 pm Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
At the panel, they specifically mentioned that they are planning on making the dub be basically TV-MA-level. They *also* addressed the English-language issue, and while they can't give out details just yet, it's something they are definitely conscious of. So, there will be *some kind of* unique solution. Stay tuned for details.

Thats good to hear. The way I see it, dubbing it faithfully in English is the way to go, and my main concern are the characters that don't have Japanese VA's (Eddie Lee, Leon Sykes etc.), so FUNimation can get Japanese voice actors for those certain characters that only speak English in the Japanese version.

I can't wait to hear more news on BECK's Dub, and I look forward to seeing one of my favoritest anime of all time getting a proper Dub.

And the songs that are already in English should be sung in English as-is (Face, Slip Out etc.) and the Japanese songs (mainly Spice of Life and some other songs) could be translated into English. I can't wait to pick up the OST. Maybe there will be the Japanese OST and an English one...?

Now which singers do you think will do the vocals for the singing? Very Happy
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:58 pm Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:
doesn't Funimation usually tries to dub the songs in their titles?

as long as the songs are left in Japanese audio, I got no beef with it....but English dubbing on few of the English songs would be interesting to hear....it's so hard to understand the lyrics with heavy accent from Japanese singers....

Normally that would be okay. But if you are in a situation where the title is screened as dub only, then the original artist's work will be lost on this group because the original music is in the Japanese language track. This is the situation that they have created when they dubbed the original songs and did not allow the dub audience to hear the original songs occasionally on the dub track. (Please don't give the suggestion of switching the audio for the songs only. Screenings do not work that way in a group setting.)

Hopefully, CorneredAngel's comments about a unique solution can deal with this issue. I am happy that FUNimation did take a risk and brought this title over. Hopefully, an OST will come out too!

Now if only someone would bring over Kanon 2006, Air and Clannad.... Very Happy
Gawyn

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I think my only problem with dubbing the songs in this instance would be that it could be seen as a bit disrepespectful of some great Japanese rock bands. I loved the music as it was and it made a fan of Beat Crusaders out of me in particular.

That's a bit of a fanboyish perspective in a sense but it is a (potential) peeve of mine in this particular case Smile.
bebop26

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Heh, I used to feel that way too. I was made a fan of the Beat Crusaders listening to Moon on the Water from BECK. I love that song, and it remains my favoritest Beat Crusaders song yet.

To make the songs in the dub just as good as the Japanese version, maybe even better, they need to hire professional American vocalists from rock bands. A good singer for Koyuki who can sing the songs he sings perfectly in English, with the same tone and mood. They would also need a good singer for Chiba who can rap fast (Brainstorm used to make my head spin Very Happy)
LordOfPie

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Man, without awesome Engrish like this (link deleted), the show won't be half as entertaining. I just can't see a dub of this show working right.

(edit: well, uh, guess I can't link to that because of a mildy amusing wordfilter. Just search for "Beck engrish" and you can find it for yourself.)
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Gawyn wrote:
I think my only problem with dubbing the songs in this instance would be that it could be seen as a bit disrepespectful of some great Japanese rock bands.

That's exactly what I was trying to say also. But, I extend it to all artists and all languages. Take for example "Girls On Film". Gonzo was negotiating with Duran, Duran for this song. Now, they could have probably found a band to cover it in Japanese if they had wanted to. But they placed value on and respected the band and the song to air it as the opening for Speed Grapher on Japanese TV in English.

Another example is "Dani California". This song by the Red Hot Chili Peppers is being used in the Death Note Japanese live action movie.

I truly applaud Gonzo and Warner Brothers for doing this and hope that FUNimation can follow their leads by using all songs done by the original bands on both tracks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2