• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's Poppy Hill Expands to L.A., Toronto, Vancouver

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:56 pm Reply with quote
And I knew G-Kids would not let me down. Just as expected not only is Poppy Hill coming to my city but to my favorite theater. Smile

Philadelphia - Landmark Ritz at the Bourse
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:02 pm Reply with quote
The theater it's coming to near me is one of those small 30-seat intimate settings, mostly set up in two seat pairs, and the screen isn't enormous. I believe it's one of those place you need to reserve for as well. I guess the idea is all about intimacy and to mimic home theaters, and thus no riffraff, likely no kids. Not my first preference, but I'll take it. At least it's not at the ridiculously overpriced premium theater I've never been to.

What's the real difference between limited and wide release? Or is this called a platform release. Or is style called platform release? I know you can remain limited but still arrive in theaters across the nation, but what's the distinct difference?
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Well I am not entirely sure but I know there is limited in the sense that it opens only select cities (NY and LA) and then limited in the sense that it only plays in select theaters.

For example the theater it is playing at for me is an art house theater. This is usually the only place where foreign films play as well.

However at times a film can start off limited but then expand to more theaters if word of mouth is good, it wins awards, or its financial success during limited release.

edit: I think limited also means less than 600 theaters nationwide.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I saw the 600 on Wiki too. Even if it's in many places, it still may not always arrive at your local preference of theater. Maybe there's also a distinction between wide and "ubiquitous", any piece of trash Hollywood produces is going to all of the local cinemas in your area, except the art houses and small venues. When it's merely wide, you have the ability to see it, but you have to be more proactive in your search for it, as opposed to randomly choosing a theater and then picking any of the films available, where you'll mostly see the same films repeated.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Did I see Toronto in there? Well I think Im down to go watch it now, been a while since I went to watch an anime on the big screen
Lincolne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:57 pm Reply with quote
SO everyone Knows Boston - Landmark Kendall Square Cinema will be showing April 5th. Not March 29th. I talked to the theater and they are saying April 5th. (The website also says April 5th)
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:49 am Reply with quote
YES!!!! A theater in Virginia! Very Happy It's not too far from me either! I'll see if I can go see it!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:55 am Reply with quote
We actually saw this on consecutive weekends. Laughing

(The 2nd since we brought some kids would love it.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1