• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Least favorite charecters from otherwise excellent shows?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BesuDesu

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Even the best of masterpieces may occasionally have a character or two who just turn you off entirely. What it is about them, weather it be their personality, how their written (even though they can be perfectly well written), or just how their portrayed in general, they just make you kinda wish they would walk off the screen (even if they are essential to what's going on) to stop being in front of the epicness that is the rest of the show. For instance:

Faye Valentine from Cowboy Bebop- Although I loved Honky Tonk Women (in fact, that episode really made her character), up until all of the insight to her in the end (and even after), she just seems... like an ungrateful, bitchy, useless moocher, and I really wound up enjoying her the least out of the great lineup of other characters. However, at that end, the show really does present some great directing when it comes to her character and her psyche with how she... copes... with everything.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Maka from Soul Eater started to grate on my nerves as the series progressed. It just seemed to me she learns nothing from previous encounters and it finally takes a piece of paper for her to realize her "true power". Even Black Star, the egomaniac, had the ability to learn from Tsubasa.
foxinthestars

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Nuk and Mok (if I remember their names, Those Two Guys anyway) from Kemono no Souja Erin. They're just there for comic relief, but the mood they bring clashes with the rest of the show, and they're more annoying than funny anyway. Even they have their moments, but it's hardly worth it.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Sasami from Little Busters, Good Lord! Everytime I see her, I just want to beat her up! She's so annoying, her laugh doesn't help at all. She's just sooo freakin' annoying I can't see straight. Thank God she only appears in two or three episodes or I'd go mad!
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Blair from Soul Eater has nothing for her but sex appeal. Now I can get by those kind of characters if they're at least reasonably interesting...but Blair isn't. I can greatly enjoy the show, then Blair pops up, and I give an annoyed sigh.

I like InuYasha, but I don't like its main villain. Naraku quickly makes it clear that he's the type of villain who will always escape, no matter what the heroes do. Those kind of villains work fine with episodic shows, but they quickly grow wearisome in story arcs. More importantly, they can at least be interesting--Naraku really doesn't have anything to his personality besides "EVILLLLLLL!"

Aaaaand...I like Star Driver (ultimately flawed, but it's fun), but Madoka and Kou are just...icky. That doesn't necessarily make them bad characters--the problem is that the show's staff don't seem to realize how icky they are.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I *really* don't like Suguha from Sword Art Online.
She annoys me so much. >_>
"Boo-hoo, my cousin's girlfriend is in a coma and he won't love me-don't you feel sorry for me?"
NO, I DON'T, HOE. Twisted Evil
BesuDesu

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Ohhhhh SAO... What a deliciously evil piece of work you are. Go ahead, denounce the evils of romanticized incestuous relationships in the most brutal way possible Twisted Evil I'll watch.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Biggest case for me would be Mahoromatic's Saori Shikijou. While I find the series overall to be decent in its focus on Mahoro and Suguru, Shikijou happens to be the biggest detractor I have with the series on account she contributes nothing into developing the plot or characters beyond being an oversexed freeloader/ drunkard trying to molest Suguru and heckling Mahoro. One wonders how she hasn't been fired or arrested for her "efforts" on one of her students. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote
BesuDesu wrote:
Ohhhhh SAO... What a deliciously evil piece of work you are. Go ahead, denounce the evils of romanticized incestuous relationships in the most brutal way possible Twisted Evil I'll watch.

The fact they are cousins doesn't bother me, really.

She was just a lame character, imho and I could not bring myself to care about her problems that were so petty compared to the main conflicts in the series.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Pike and Lilie from Princess Tutu. Oh how I cannot stand them. Lilie is a bit worse but they are both terrible characters. I suppose they are meant to be comic relief but I can't recall ever finding them terribly amusing.

It's very telling that as the series really gets into high gear, these two have pretty much disappeared from the screen.
rheiders

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:03 am Reply with quote
^Ugh, exactly what I was about to post. Pike and Lilie are awful. Unfunny, unlikable, and completely mean-spirited. I'm so glad they get less screen time later on, but even so, the scenes they are in really test my patience.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:46 am Reply with quote
foxinthestars wrote:
Nuk and Mok (if I remember their names, Those Two Guys anyway) from Kemono no Souja Erin. They're just there for comic relief, but the mood they bring clashes with the rest of the show, and they're more annoying than funny anyway. Even they have their moments, but it's hardly worth it.

They probably sit at the top of my pantheon as well. I've not read Uehashi's novel, but I believe these guys were anime creations. I guess they were intended to appeal to younger viewers, but as you say, they often undermine the serious tone of this show.

I'll add Alice, the French girl who befriends Yune in Ikoku Meiro no Croisee. She was just too loud and often too silly as well. Even being voiced by Aoi Yuuki couldn't save her character for me.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Kotoura's grandfather from Kotoura-san. Can't stand that guy. Being pervy to your own granddaughter? Really? Even played for laughs I find that creepy and wish that character would disappear.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:42 am Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Biggest case for me would be Mahoromatic's Saori Shikijou. While I find the series overall to be decent in its focus on Mahoro and Suguru, Shikijou happens to be the biggest detractor I have with the series on account she contributes nothing into developing the plot or characters beyond being an oversexed freeloader/ drunkard trying to molest Suguru and heckling Mahoro. One wonders how she hasn't been fired or arrested for her "efforts" on one of her students. Rolling Eyes

But the breasts, what about the breasts? Who would or even could fill that bra, I mean role? Also, if you consider the ending, she may be some sort of succubus with supersexualnatural powers so...

For me, there's Tomoyo from Clannad. She fits in this series as well a square block in a demolition derby {a round hole's too good for her}. She's the overachiever outsider in a cast of slackers and incompetents and her only role in the series is one action as the future Student Council President and that was only in jeopardy because she was friends with these lovable losers in the first place. Yes, she's a reformed loser herself but we never get to see the change, she's just automatically A then B.

I absolutely hated her OVA episode.
gsilver

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary Girl Utena has Chuchu.

...I love that show, but I hate that furball.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2