• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Intellectually-Challenged Heroes

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoverTX

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:06 am Reply with quote
What about Goku! The grandfather of all stupid heros!
sainta

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:36 am Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:
What about Goku! The grandfather of all stupid heros!

He became a little itelligent in the Cell arc. Ironically, he messed up a lot in that period.

Also, I wonder if Ginji from GetBackers could fit here since he believes microwaves can produce nuclear explosions and can't tell the difference between the Statue of Liberty and the Venus de Milo. Well, Ginji never went to a school so maybe it's not suitable for the list.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:43 am Reply with quote
Luffy is... odd. At times he can come up with genuinely good strategy in fights and at other he gets himself stuck... on numerous occasions. I guess intellectually-challenged is suited for him.
LavenderMintRose

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:45 am Reply with quote
So I was deciding between Jet and two other options in the poll, and I decided to google up pictures of them to decide better. I typed in "Jet Black" and googled it, and then a second later I realized that was a thing, not just a character's name. But actually, Jet from Cowboy Bebop was the third search result. So that's cool. I like it when that happens Anime smile;

Also, notice how many iconic heroes are on the "stupidest" list (Luffy, Sailor Moon), AND it's missing two more (Goku, as RoverTX pointed out, and Naruto).

Also... is that really the plot of SumomomoMomomo? Really? Really?
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:55 am Reply with quote
I dont understand why Yoshi is on this list. If you actually watch the anime its pointed out several times that he can do quite well academically but the majority of the time he is just to lazy to care. The others on the list are idiots regardless of what they do, Yoshi is just lazy.

Also Goku is not really stupid, he just never was educated, I mean he lost his grandpa at an earlier age, and pretty much only focused on martial arts his whole life.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Well,the people on this list may not have a lot in the smarts department,but they're also enjoyable in their own way. Serena from "Sailor Moon" might not be a Rhodes scholar and Excel from "Excel Saga" may need to work on her I.Q. a bit but they're both pretty pleasant individuals.
But,Momoko of "Summommo Momomo" is a real piece of work. She goes after a guy who isn't interested in her and pursues him relentlessly. I read the manga and overall it's pretty enjoyable but the anime was devastatingly trashed by the good people at T.H.E.M. Anime Reviews. But,I haven't seen it either because it has yet to be brought to America. Do you think Media Blasters might bring this to America?
albanian

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Could I put in a word for Justy Ueki Tylor? Calculating genius or lucky bonehead? I know where my money would go. 'Irresponsible' - might just be a clue there!

(And if I could be pedantic for a moment - '...wouldn't of bumped...' from the Sailor Moon paragraph is a gramatically incorrect modern affectation and, if you think about it, utterly meaningless. '...wouldn't have bumped...', please.)
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:13 pm Reply with quote
My only surprise is that Luffy isn't higher on the list. Whenever people tell me that Luffy isn't exactly stupid but just doesn't have book smarts, there's a part of me that wants to believe that but it gets shot down quickly when ever he does something that clearly defies common sense AND isn't backed by any real sense of honor.

But Gourry...oh man Gourry could beat Luffy in a dumb off ANYDAY. (I mean that both as a complement and a insult)

As far as Yoshi being on the list, forgive me for using TVtropes here, but to me Yoshi is just too dumb to live (sort of, considering he's still alive) While we see that he has little food, it seems to be because he buys games instead causing him unnecessary hunger pains. While I don't really like his sister I can only wonder how much longer he could have survived.

As far as coolest beard, I voted for Jigen. It was a tough choice between him and Jet though.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Congrats Team Edward!

Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:27 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I don't understand why Yoshi is on this list. If you actually watch the anime its pointed out several times that he can do quite well academically but the majority of the time he is just to lazy to care. The others on the list are idiots regardless of what they do, Yoshi is just lazy.

The guy subsists upon the free salt and sugar packets at convenience stores because he spends all his money on games. I don't know how he's not #1.
Zerreth

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Is it bad that the moment I saw "coolest beard" I thought Guan Yu?
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Hey, coolest beards so why no one from Shiki in it. They have some of the most bizarre beards I've seen.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Oh God.

I'm sorry for my grammar naziing, but since this is a professional website, something really needs to be said.

Quote:
In fact, if she hadn't gotten a 30 on her English test, she wouldn't of bumped into her past-lover/future-husband Mamoru Chiba.

It's wouldn't have.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I think the new question's wording made it too easy. If it was for most interesting beard, I was ready to choose a totally different person. Coolest beard, though, is another matter entirely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Regarding "wouldn't of", it's pretty clear she was thinking "wouldn't've" but didn't realize it(tacky as it may look, there's no rule against multiple contractions in one word).

As for the beard, it was tough but in the end Lordgenome won by a (flaming)hair.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5