• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Tenchi Muyo! War on Geminar BD+DVD

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Its definitely a good series.

and at least they didn't make kenshi like his brother or worse. like Seina.

Though i was susprised that they never did a old cast flashback where characters from the two previous series make a one time appearance , like what they did in ep 17 of GXP. there definitely a lot of people that would like to know Seina's status after spoiler[ marrying 8 women , and the other 4 we dont know their backgrounds at all other than being with the devil princess]

Theron Martin wrote:
although a different male character is actually the one who gets laid during the series

HUH? Do you mean in this series or in the franchise in general?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:06 pm Reply with quote
It can stay there too for all I care.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:11 pm Reply with quote
This sounds like an interesting series. I hope I see it someday. It'll be interesting to see.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:27 pm Reply with quote
how do you let the weakest member of a super empowered family strut his stuff? nerf his environment. If some sort of sequel ever happens, I would love to see what would happen to Geminar if Tenchi ever made an appearance.

jr0904 wrote:

Theron Martin wrote:
although a different male character is actually the one who gets laid during the series

HUH? Do you mean in this series or in the franchise in general?

spoiler[Dagmyer]
FLEABttn

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The action, plot, and setting do not carry the series.

Such an understatement. Worst series I've seen in a while.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:52 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Its definitely a good series.

and at least they didn't make kenshi like his brother or worse. like Seina.

Though i was susprised that they never did a old cast flashback where characters from the two previous series make a one time appearance , like what they did in ep 17 of GXP. there definitely a lot of people that would like to know Seina's status after spoiler[ marrying 8 women , and the other 4 we don't know their backgrounds at all other than being with the devil princess]

Oh, so he DID spoiler[marry those four girls. I wasn't sure. But now I hear he married those other 4 too!?] Man, I'm glad I stopped watching. I couldn't handle after episode 1. I just wanted to see the last episode and I couldn't stop gagging the whole time.

Is this series any better than GXP? Maybe I shouldn't even ask since I doubt I'll even give this one a chance. I was too disappointed with GXP. I'll just stick with the original Tenchi.

[EDIT: Added spoiler tags and corrected a broken tag. - Key]
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:54 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:

Is this series any better than GXP?

YES
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:59 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
KENZICHI wrote:

Is this series any better than GXP?

YES
NO, they're both gob shyte.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:03 pm Reply with quote
uh oh, difference of opinion. what do we do now?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:08 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
uh oh, difference of opinion. what do we do now?
There's only one way to sort it.

FIGHT! Laughing
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I kind of liked GXP. A lot funnier and does more with its plot than the third Tenchi OVA.

I guess it's good Kenshi finds himself in a parallel world, because then if I watch it I won't have to watch Ryoko and Ayeka relegated to background characters or put up with Canon Sue Noike or the billions of heretofore unseen Jurain relatives of Tenchi that are really important despite never having been mentioned in the first two OVAs.

From the reviews, it even appears that, unlike Tenchi, Kenshi gets to actually be a character and not just plot device.

It's hard to give Kajishima another shot, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:29 pm Reply with quote
The whole thing sounds like the harem comedy version of Five Star Stories. Which is better than the awfulness of GXP admittedly.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I gave up on Kajishima after he bottle the third Tenchi OVA. The man's clearly lost in his fantasy of universal incest. Rolling Eyes
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
It can stay there too for all I care.

Tsundere for Tenchi? You keep posting so I have to wonder...

I just got my copy in today, I love it but the only new thing for me is the dub and HD quality as I've seen a fansub version and streamed Funimation's subtitle version already.

Sadly, the phrase "Gary Stu" immediately voids this entire review. It's kind of like arguing that Superman or Goku are the physical perfection of humanity and human endurance without once figuring the whole "superhuman" aspect is primarily because they're not human?

I'd say Kenshi is mostly presented as "hick" {he was told to keep saying he was from the highlands which is where Wahan and her accent came from and the students challenged they thought she was an easy target because she's less refined than they are. But why go reading depth where there isn't any, right?}, another thing he has in common with those other superhero country boys but Kenshi's more of the quiet, calm watching type than the brash "I'm going to punch you now!" bruisers. "Still waters run deep"? No? There's got to be something about this show because I usually don't like mediocre series.

Anyway, unlike Infinite Stratos, this show has a harem, comedy and a plot {plus character designs, development and no childhood friends, how'd that happen in a harem? Even Ryoko counted as one of those...} so I bought it and I can actually recommend it.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote
People need to realize something Tenchi OVA 3 had 7 episodes to work with, and not 7 45 minute episodes, but seven regular length episodes.

GXP has 26 and Geminar has basically 26 because all 13 episodes are twice the nomral length. The point is K. Masaki did the best he could when he was only given 7 episodes. He had actual plot he wanted to convey, and so characterization and development took a back seat. The overall plot itself is fairly interesting with a Haruhi vibe (note he came up with this concept before Haruhi and Lain which people always give dap to), the whole God unaware of their own existence concept.

Honestly I think if everything was kept the same in terms of plot and characters, but OVA 3 actually had more episodes to work with I dont think it would be thought of as badly.

Geminar I thought was good though, and if anything Geminar should appeal at least in my opinion to people outside of the Tenchi fanbase, as a harem standalone its at least as good as DxD and IS, both which are well liked.

Although I get the feeling with Tenchi, the fans are too much like Trekkie fans and the new Star Trek movies, they will never like anything new because its not the old Trek. And Geminar is not the old Tenchi.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3