• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Comic-Con: Shonen Jump Adds Gintama

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scortia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Gintama AND Houshin Engi! Wow, I've died and gone to heaven,... never thought Houshin Engi would ever be picked up in the states.
minakichan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:05 pm Reply with quote
HOUSHIN ENGI.

*fangirlfangirlfangirl* *cough*

Yay for the chance to redeem that awful ADV Soul Hunter.

Now if only they'd include Houshin Engi characters in the next Shounen Jump SuperStars....
Super Ska Master

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:30 pm Reply with quote
About damn time Gintama got licinsed.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Super Ska Master wrote:
About damn time Gintama got licinsed.

About damn time they replaced Dragon Ball Z. They better not be taking something out to put it in.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Sounds pretty rad. I was actually really surprised that Fullmetal Alchemist and/or Bleach didn't get put in SJ.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:58 pm Reply with quote
DBZ hasn't been in the magazine in over a year(except for the preview for the last volume).

As for Houshin Engi....HALLE-FRICKIN-LUJAH!!! I really didn't think this would happen. Hopefully, they'll use the rerelase editions that came out in Japan last year, but probably not.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:36 am Reply with quote
Houshin Engi... FINALLY! I thought I was going to have to stick to scanlations of that and never get a readable printed copy. the manga is so much better than the anime and it seemed rather unfair that the general English speaking fans unable to enjoy scanlations only had access to the anime. Anime smile
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:01 am Reply with quote
JoshuaStChristopher wrote:
Sounds pretty rad. I was actually really surprised that Fullmetal Alchemist and/or Bleach didn't get put in SJ.

Fullmetal Alchemist wasn't in the Japanese version of Shonen Jump, but was in Shonen Gangan, SquareEnix's manga monthly. (I guess I shouldn't say "was" since it's still running in it.) As for Bleach, I believe that's simply the fact that it's enjoying a good run as graphic novels and it would be odd to start it in the middle of the current story in the US Shonen Jump. It's not like Dragonball Z, where you could skip most of the story and jump in at the Android/Cell story like Viz published.

Personally, I wasn't really impressed with the preview SJ USA had of Gintama in the January issue of this year. Maybe it gets better later, but I'm not really excited about it for now. Here's a question: are they going to run the first chapter again once Gintama starts its run?
domino

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:35 am Reply with quote
GINTAMA! Finally! So this means they're putting it in the monthly magazine? Darn...

I was hoping for an uncut version... Their translation of the first chapter was perfect aside from the obvious censorship. The manga is all about sexual puns and violence, so it's going to be a giant mess if they release it under anything other than the Shonen Jump Advanced (older audiences) line. They cut out the funniest parts of the first chapter.... ("I told you to make a valley with your breasts!" " *demonic look* I COULDN'T DO THAT EVEN IF I TRIED" ). The first chapter was basically about a strip club, but they hid the fact that it was a strip club... so I hope they don't continue trying to tone it down for kids.

And I don't like how they write "Gintama" with a space ("Gin Tama"). It makes me think "Gin & Tonic" or something...
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:30 pm Reply with quote
YESSSS! Gintama Gintama Gintaaaama Very Happy

I just hope that they *do* put it in SJ Advanced, otherwise it's going to be a disaster. And not at all funny. Which, of course, it should be.

It's going to be such a difficult one to translate for an American audience though, with so many cultural in-jokes and puns, I really hope they do a good job. And even if it isn't a 'perfect' translation, I'm sure it can't be any worse than the butchering suffered by poor Prince of Tennis. *woe* ('Kunitmitzu Domain????' GAHHH! *dies*)
bbrick88

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Neverwhere wrote:
YESSSS! Gintama Gintama Gintaaaama Very Happy

I just hope that they *do* put it in SJ Advanced, otherwise it's going to be a disaster. And not at all funny. Which, of course, it should be.

It's going to be such a difficult one to translate for an American audience though, with so many cultural in-jokes and puns, I really hope they do a good job. And even if it isn't a 'perfect' translation, I'm sure it can't be any worse than the butchering suffered by poor Prince of Tennis. *woe* ('Kunitmitzu Domain????' GAHHH! *dies*)

Yeah Americans are way too dumb to understand any of that cultural stuff Rolling Eyes
barbapapa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:28 am Reply with quote
Neverwhere wrote:

Not to burst your bubble, but since they're going to put it in their Shonen Jump magazine; be sure to expect slow releases and censoring.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:49 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
DBZ hasn't been in the magazine in over a year(except for the preview for the last volume).

Yeah, hence the "about damn time". They removed DBZ from the magazine early and never replaced it with anything else. This is like a delayed replacement that has been a long time in coming.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1