• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex Adds GYO: Tokyo Fish Attack, Outlines Blast of Tempest DVDs

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRWii

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Aw, both are DVD only? Crying or Very sad

(And now I'm getting out of here before the Aniplex USA Pricing Wars inevitably claim the thread.)

Last edited by DRWii on Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Gyo was campy fun. I'll be picking that one up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ranma824

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:18 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
Aw, both are DVD only? Crying or Very sad

Yeah, damn. Tempest is totally worth owning, but not settling for DVD. But this will probably mean the eventual BD will be pricey.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I also wish the Tempest pack was a DVD/BR combo pack (especially since Funimation releases are combo packs at more or less the same price) but since I wasn't even sure they would release it considering it didn't catch fire like some of their other properties I guess I should be happy about that? Feels weird trying to be happy about something which feels over-priced though.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really too surprised Tempest isn't getting the BD treatment. Its really no where near the popularity level of their bigger stuff, so they aren't going all out with the high priced BD boxsets. OreShura and Vividred sets will probably be similiar.
Alunimus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:34 pm Reply with quote
DVD? Zetsuen no Tempest is too good for DVD. Well, whatever, I guess we'll wait few years and maybe BD-release will be announced or something.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Nice. Rakkyos Hirao directed Gyo. I bet its good. I won't buy Blast of Tempest. The last "DVD only" release I went for was Blue Exorcist and the encode was complete garbage. I'm willing to check out every Blu-ray by them but no more DVD. I will wait.

EDIT: looks like Gyo is also DVD. I will not be getting that :<

Last edited by luffypirate on Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Never seen GYO, but the clips I've seen makes it look like a work of beauty Anime hyper. I'll probably pick it up

Also, two sets for $60 for Blast of Tempest? Wow, that's actually not that bad compared to *ahem* a couple other preorders that just came out from them. Hell, that's actually somewhat a normal price. It's too bad (or a good thing?) I didn't really care for BoT to wanna pick it up
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I spy another Blue Exorcist: release cheap (for Aniplex levels) bare-bones sub-only DVDs of a show, but expensive as hell billingual DVDs and Blu-rays later. Oh, boy...
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Not a fan of Blast of Tempest, but I'm so glad to see Gyo's getting a US release. They took some liberties here and there, but it was a good OVA.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I guess I won't be watching Blast of Tempest anytime soon, then. By principal alone, I absolutely refuse to pay more for a sub-only/DVD-only release than I would for a bilingual combo pack (it's for this same reason I don't buy NISA's releases either). Doesn't hurt my feelings too bad, though, as I've heard mixed things about the show anyways.

Sadly, they'll probably try this same approach with Magi too, which is a shame. That show would do great with a dub. Hopefully Neon Alley will offer to put up the funds for one.

Oh and by the way, you can import Gyo right now from the UK for MUCH cheaper, FYI. Wink
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Shocking prices for a sub-only DVD release of Blast of Tempest.
No doubt a dual audio BD release will appear sometimes within the next couple of years.
I'll take the chance and wait it out thank you very much!
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:59 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
I guess I won't be watching Blast of Tempest anytime soon, then. By principal alone, I absolutely refuse to pay more for a sub-only/DVD-only release than I would for a bilingual combo pack (it's for this same reason I don't buy NISA's releases either). Doesn't hurt my feelings too bad, though, as I've heard mixed things about the show anyways.

NISA's releases include Blurays, come in insanely nice display boxes, and have hardcover books who's contents range from translation notes (Katanagatari), to art, to episode coverings, to pretty much anything, and you refuse to think it isn't a rip off? It's a deluxe release that is the same price as every other release; there is no reason to pass up an awesome show like Ano Hana just because you would read subtitles.

When there is a barebones+dvd only+more expensive than bluray release, such as here, then yeah, I wouldn't buy that either.

I just wish Ani would stop pretending there is a "sale" price. They have it listed as that price everywhere, even your own site. They tell retailers (Rightstuf) to sell it at that price. That is quite literally the Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price (MSRP). I mean the prices listed here are fairly reasonable, but they still should just come out and say that the sale price is the actual price, rather than making it look like a better value than it is.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:10 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I spy another Blue Exorcist: release cheap (for Aniplex levels) bare-bones sub-only DVDs of a show, but expensive as hell billingual DVDs and Blu-rays later. Oh, boy...

To be fair to Aniplex, Blue Exorcist is Market-priced(yes, $140 would be around the value of that) and the Blue Exorcist Blu-Rays come with a veritable boatload of extras that would make it worth every penny to a Blue Exorcist fan.

As as Blast of Tempest goes, I think I'll go for it. $50 doesn't sound too bad to me. I do suspect that they have a higher profit margin with their sub-only DVDs than their Blu-Rays and the sub-only DVDs could gauge how feasible a bilingual Blu-Ray release is. (Remember, most anime fans still buy using DVD. Blu-Ray is expensive to do and doesn't have as much sales as DVD yet).

I will also says that NISA sets are worth their price.
Tr1ckR

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I bought the blu-ray of GYO from Hanabee Entertainment (Australian), and my god was it awful...one of the worst anime I've seen, if done properly it could have been pretty good, but yeah this was just bad.. Im sure there is people out there that will like it though :/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4