• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crimson Star Acquires Looking Up at the Half-Moon Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:18 pm Reply with quote
This sounds interesting.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:21 pm Reply with quote
This company is run by the same "Corey Maddox" who scammed people once before with roughly the same tactics. I would not preorder this if I were you.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Just for the record, you guys might want to read this thread for more details about this company. Apparently the owner of the company was involved in a scam a couple years back that tried to raise funds to "license an anime".
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:23 pm Reply with quote
A big fan of Hantsuki, but I'm staying away until I know this company is legit and not just trying to hoist some money from anime fans. The link to their shop page on their website being 404'd certainly does not help their position in my eyes.
CCharmanderK

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:24 pm Reply with quote
New anime licensing firm, eh? I'm all for new companies, but the US anime industry has become rather cutthroat; if you don't come in firing on all cylinders, you're not gonna be around long. Plus, you have to find a way to keep high-profile titles coming down the pipeline, and considering that FUNimation, Viz Media and Aniplex USA have contracts with numerous Japanese companies to exclusively distribute their highest-profile stuff, that's gonna be harder than ever for newcomer businesses like Crimson Star.

That said, there are a number of series that haven't been licensed in the US that I'd like to see a smaller company take a shot at, notably Hyouka, Nichijou and a relicense of MegaZone 23. And that last one is mostly because I'm waiting for some company to get off their fat asses and reissue the 1995 Streamline Pictures dub (which I personally like more than the overacted ADV dub), but that's just me.
Ninjachad

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Definitely looks like a show I'd be interested in. I'll probably wait until it's on Rightstuf, to pre-order it.
Rukiia

I personally would steer clear from pre-ordering directly from their site. Unless a more reliable retailer like Rightstuf puts up a listing then I would be cautious.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
iamthevastuniverse

ZeetherKID77 wrote:
This company is run by the same "Corey Maddox" who scammed people once before with roughly the same tactics. I would not preorder this if I were you.

Who cares. If its available through a legit place like rightstuf or amazon then I will preordering Looking Up at the Half Moon in a heartbeat. Its rare for such a release this old to be licensed let alone with a english dub.(Which I'm very curious to see how it turns out) I'll be supporting this release in hopes that more underrated titles are brought over here in the future.

Last edited by iamthevastuniverse on Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow, never heard of all that controversy. I'm in the panel at Seishun Con right now...
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Did you get it on video, Neocloud? I'd like to see the panel for myself.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Crimson Star Media formed in May by a group of anime fans and fansubbers. The company is currently holding open auditions for English dub background characters via its website. Auditions for primary characters were held at its panel on Saturday.

Oi vey. Yes, no doubt this would result in a dub of epic proportions.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:48 pm Reply with quote
No, haven't been recording. They're showing the first episode now before the auditions. Neil Nadelman was on speaker a moment ago, he seems to be the translator they've hired for this project. Does his presence lend legitimacy, I wonder?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
One of my favorite anime, ever. out of the over 650 I've seen. I won't pre-order out of caution...I don't care for a dub anyway. This anime also has one of my favorite songs of all time...er, two of them. Both the OP and ED are STILL to this day, some of the best anime songs ever IMO.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:58 pm Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:
Just for the record, you guys might want to read this thread for more details about this company. Apparently the owner of the company was involved in a scam a couple years back that tried to raise funds to "license an anime".

Yeah I've looked at these accusations. They seem to amount to little more than "this person is a scammer because I say so". That nasty rumormongering needs to stop.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:02 pm Reply with quote
well, I have absolutely no faith in a dub if it happens, but I can live without that. wouldn't be my first choice of distributors should this work out, but I guess it's better than nothing. I will wait and see what happens.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5