• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Limit GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:58 am Reply with quote
...Wait, is there a "The" in the title? I don't see one on the cover.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:00 am Reply with quote
There are so many of these survival-horror manga these days -- Cage of Eden, Btooom, Aphorism, Strobo, RealPG, seriously, I think every manga magazine has at least one -- that I'm surprised we haven't been inundated by anime adaptations. Maybe Btooom will change that, but I hope not since I can only tolerate so many grim-dark teens-killing-teens stories.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Treating high school social issues with the harshness they merit

I think Life illustrated this and other things you mentioned far more perfectly (I don't use that word lightly). And it all took place within a high school setting and not in some locale. I'm definitely sticking with Limit because it's Keiko Suenobu and I consider her a master storyteller with what she's trying to say, but reading the first volume makes me seriously wish someone would license-rescue the brutally-yet-beautifully artistic Life, because that's an unfinished series that absolutely needs finishing.
Quark

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:45 am Reply with quote
Keiko Suenobu has another series out? One with horror elements? Well, I know the next manga series I'm buying.
Someone really should pick up Life and re-release (and finish) it here. That manga was way too good to leave it unfinished (I don't think even the scanalation groups had finished it). It was such a touching, powerful story, with a really great ending. It's a shame that a lot of people are missing out, or being left hanging at volume 7.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:01 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

No, but that's how it's listed in the encyclopedia for whatever reason.

pachy_boy wrote:
I think Life illustrated this and other things you mentioned far more perfectly (I don't use that word lightly). And it all took place within a high school setting and not in some locale.

Agreed - if we're comparing series, Life is the superior one. But Limit's no slouch either, and since Vertical has it, we stand a good chance of actually finishing it. This kind of series is tough to review at times, simply because the subject matter is so harsh and, in some cases, familiar. By that token, Limit is a bit easier to read because we can distance ourselves from the situation by virtue of it not being in a classroom, whereas Life offers no such escape.

But I'm with you - Life seriously needs a license rescue!
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:48 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:

No, but that's how it's listed in the encyclopedia for whatever reason.

And Vertical's site uses both. And the release announcement uses one in the headline and another in the body.

By the way, LIFE is on my list of "things I swear I will ONE DAY get back to reading."
chloes_fork

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:22 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
reading the first volume makes me seriously wish someone would license-rescue the brutally-yet-beautifully artistic Life, because that's an unfinished series that absolutely needs finishing.

Total agreement with you and other posters on this point. Vertical isn't too keen on license rescues (and the fact that GTO: The Early Years has apparently been an extremely poor seller won't do anything to change their minds), but I have this fantasy that Limit will somehow sell like hotcakes and inspire Vertical, or somebody, to finish Life. In the meantime, though, Limit is very much worth reading for its own sake.

And BTW, the dorama adaptation of Life is pretty good, too. Fans of the manga should give it a look.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:58 am Reply with quote
Life was one of those series that I looked at but never picked up but Limit actually sounds more interesting to me as a whole (and will hopefully be released in its entirety!) so I think I will have to add this one to my very long list of series to check out.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Maybe Btooom will change that, but I hope not since I can only tolerate so many grim-dark teens-killing-teens stories.

If Btooom is representative of the others, I agree with you.
Lost_Shy_One

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I should read this. I read about this manga thru the Otaku USA Magazine..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1