• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Otakon to Move to Washington D.C. in 2017

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Well good! It'll only be a couple hours away from me.

Although by 2017, I'll probably be living in Los Angeles. But then there'll a bunch of cons there, so it's a win-win!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:55 pm Reply with quote
2,300,000 sq ft seems better, but it always boggles my mind when a place like Orange County Convention Center has 7,000,000 sq ft and Megacon only uses one of the smaller halls in the West concourse. I guess being not centrally located or on the West Coast diminishes its use, because the place is absolutely massive.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:56 pm Reply with quote
From a DC native:

Quote:

It's pretty much gentrified. Not as pretty as the Baltimore Waterfront, nor does it have great sea food, but it's a fine area with better public transit and safer than where the Otakon is currently being held. It's also a short Metro ride from all the major Washington landmarks if someone wanted to do other stuff on the trip.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I will somewhat miss Otakon being in Baltimore because its been there for so long. But as a city itself I much prefer DC.

And yeah as a city itself DC has way more to do. That being said I don't understand the concept of having time for anything but con stuff. I am always busy at Otakon.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Can't stand DC. I may have issues with Maryland, but it's 1 million X better than DC. It should be in the Bay Area. Bay Area is the best part of California.

Last edited by YamadaKun on Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:09 pm Reply with quote
As someone who was at Otakon this year, I can attest to the need for more space. On the sky bridge between the Hilton and the BCC, it would get bottlenecked so badly that it would take 20 minutes to get from one to the other. And being in the BCC wasn't much better. Even if Otakon ceased to grow and just kept the attendance they have now, a change is a must. And having more hotels located closer to the venue is a good thing. I don't mind walking a couple blocks, but I really don't care to go farther than that, especially at night. Sure, there's often groups of attendees around, but sometimes when you're walking back at 1 or 2 in the morning after the late night panels have ended, you don't wanna be out on the streets any longer than you need to.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:17 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
Can't stand DC. I may have issues with Maryland, but it's 1 million X better than DC. It should be in the Bay Area. Bay Area is the best part of California.

Yes because the West Coast really needs another con. Smile

I am just thankful they are keeping Otakon in the NE.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Hey, maybe in 2017 I'll have a desire to go to a con. Especially one this close.

Probably not, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Soliia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Ah, good. For me at least. Maybe I'll actually be able to go in 2017 since it'll be closer and in a city I'm familiar with.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Wow, assuming my mom drags me to Richmond to see relatives AGAIN, I might actually be able to hit this. Sweet.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Desire...fading...quickly...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Very funny.

I'll have you know that in real life I'm a quiet, non-confrontational, and rather meek person.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I find it interesting that an anime convention knows what it will be doing in 4 years when a lot don't even know what will happen in four weeks.

However, I would be unsurprised if the first year in DC features a $100 badge price.
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Much closer to me, though I don't really know what I'll be doing in five years.
billy bob

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm a DMV boy so I think it's awesome.

I think it's good for Otakon. I just went to this one and I'm not knocking B-more at all (it's a nice downtown and Harbor area) but DC's got so much more shit.

If I am still in the area in 5 years, i'll whore the hell out of it, just living 8 miles south of DC.

Lot more hotels and the metro makes it accessible although with all the damn track rehab taking metro can be a BITCH on the weekends.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3