• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Grave of the Fireflies on TCM Sunday

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RezSav

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I have yet to see this, the anime I watch is limited to youtube and whatever is on TV. Good to see TCM again dabbing its hand in the proverbial anime water.
konohamaru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:34 pm Reply with quote
This is such an incredible film! It's honest portrayal of these children and the gradual decline of their lives makes this one of the best (live action or animated) effects-of-war depictions on film.
Exclamation If you are a middle or high school student and you are or will be covering WWII in your class, please inform your teacher that this movie is being shown and explain to him or her it's relevance to your studies. Your teacher may be willing to make it a class project, extra credit or at the very least, recommended viewing for the whole class.
Area88

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Barefoot Gen is so much more emotional, a masterpiece that should be seen by all Ghibli fans.

Shame it doesn't recieve wider exposure especially since the recent re-release on dvd.
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:15 pm Reply with quote
konohamaru wrote:
This is such an incredible film! It's honest portrayal of these children and the gradual decline of their lives makes this one of the best (live action or animated) effects-of-war depictions on film.
Exclamation If you are a middle or high school student and you are or will be covering WWII in your class, please inform your teacher that this movie is being shown and explain to him or her it's relevance to your studies. Your teacher may be willing to make it a class project, extra credit or at the very least, recommended viewing for the whole class.

That doesn't sound like a bad idea. Currently, in my Ninth Grade English class, we're reading the book Night by Elie Weisel. It's a tragic story of a young boy at the Birkenau concentration camp, so I'll talk to my teacher and see what he says about it. Odds are that he'll say no, but it's worth a shot.

One thing that I find to be annoying is that TCM is not available through my cable provider (CableVision). I guess I'll have to rent the movie, and then think about bringing it up to my teacher.
Someone_II

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:04 pm Reply with quote
konohamaru wrote:

My school doesn't have teachers* or classes. I'll still check this out on my own though. I've been wanting to see it for some time.

*Arguably, anyways. I prefer to call them instructures because we go to a seminar for X, they explain the work and we go do it on our own time...and, yes, I'm still in high school
konohamaru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:28 am Reply with quote
I agree with Area88 that Barefoot Gen is also a "must see" film and should definitely get more public exposure. Imagine if TCM had done a double feature of Grave of the Fireflies and Barefoot Gen?

I'd also like to see more even coverage of WWII in our public school systems. Night (Elie Weisel) should be covered in every high school cirriculum but so should Hiroshima (John Hersey) and Farewell To Manzanar (James D. & Jeanne Watasuki Houston). There were actually students in my son's US History class that did not know that atomic bombs had been dropped over Hiroshima and Nagasaki!?! And these are AP students!!! Shocked

Anyway, my point in encouraging students to bring this showing to the attention of their teachers is of course to expose more people to anime but I also feel that the subject matter, time slot and being on TCM give it a little more credibility in "adult eyes".
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Yes, if you are an anime fan, you must see this. There is no excuse. It is a well done human tragedy. It is both fictional, yet very real. It is worth it to stay up to 12.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nabeshin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:13 pm Reply with quote
A movie so powerful, so well crafted, and so moving that I never want to see it again.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually surprised that TCM is running it. After all, it's the only Ghibli that wasn't owned by Disney. Unfortunately, the dub of the movie isn't in the same league as the other Disney-Ghibli tracks. It's not bad by any means--most of the voices are done well, Seita and Auntie, plus Veronica Taylor and Crispin Freeman all do good jobs, but Setsuko sounds too much like an older woman pretending to be a girl, and is less convincing as a result. Her early bawling scenes are especially bad; they sound too much like a siamese cat's wail than a real child. She DOES improve, however, at the end of the movie when she's sick. Central Park Media has done better dubs (Slayers, Lodoss OVA, The World of Narue, and Animation Runner Kuromi 1 & 2), and this isn't one of their finest ones. Simultaneously, though, it's far from their most unlistenable and has its high points, although even then its listening value, compared to other Ghibli-Disney dubs, is limited.

-Jon T.
rocklobster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:30 pm Reply with quote
If you don't watch this movie and tear up, you have no emotions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
RezSav

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:41 am Reply with quote
I could kick myself. I was all set to watch it and about 10, 15 minutes before it came on I falled asleep, when I awoke it was 11:40. If I ever find out who puts anime on at this ridiculous time on TCM someone is going to get a f**king slap. Ah, well, sure they'll re-air it.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:17 pm Reply with quote
rocklobster wrote:
If you don't watch this movie and tear up, you have no emotions.

Eh, I'm actually somewhat torn by the movie. The first half, to me, seemed very emotional; even the opening sequence on its own got me. But from the point where they left the aunt's house onward, it just seemed to coast to me. Even spoiler[Setsuko's death] didn't really bother me that much, as it just seemed to be really dragged out and the second half of the movie really padded compared to what was at first a briskly-paced and tragically gripping story. All these horrific events happening in close proximity at the start hooked me, but having that one last horrific event occur very, very slowly over the entire last half of the film kinda hurt it for me.

A very good movie, and one I'd still recommend, but for me it doesn't quite live up to all the hype of being "the most tragic and emotional anime ever."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
rocklobster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:56 pm Reply with quote
RezSav wrote:
I could kick myself. I was all set to watch it and about 10, 15 minutes before it came on I falled asleep, when I awoke it was 11:40. If I ever find out who puts anime on at this ridiculous time on TCM someone is going to get a f**king slap. Ah, well, sure they'll re-air it.

They do have it on DVD. I have the DVD, in fact.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1