• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney to Release The Wind Rises in N. America

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Sugoi! I've never actually seen any of Miyazaki's films in theaters, so I really hope to see this one! I hope that they'll show it in Japanese with English subtitles, but I'd still be satisfied with the dub (assuming that it'll be good).
Meleemasta

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Well that was unexpected. I almost have to wonder if they will put it under another brand though, like how Avengers is.

Whatever the case this is good news!
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Now that's interesting, I thought Disney might have given up on Ghibli movies, glad to see they will continue to license them.
aisuru113

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean we have to sit though more terrible Disney kid voices for this movie too?
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:01 pm Reply with quote
And I heard some were skeptical Disney would pick up a movie about a guy that invented the planes that bombed Pearl Harbor. But no, it's Miyazaki so it should've been a no-brainer. Looking forward!
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Urgh. Get ready for Selena Gomez, Billy Ray Cyrus, Debby Ryan and other schmucks like that. I don't give a shit what anybody says. They need to use professional VAs. It will fix the mistakes all movies after Ocean Waves had. Also, they need to outsource dubbing to Bang Zoom, who KNOW how to write a script and have good dubbing directors. As bad as Kaeko Sakamoto's Engrish is, her dubs are STILL good and some of the best in the country. Use Bang Zoom Disney. If you don't, you'll regret it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:04 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
And I heard some were skeptical Disney would pick up a movie about a guy that invented the planes that bombed Pearl Harbor. But no, it's Miyazaki so it should've been a no-brainer. Looking forward!

Bigger question is how they'll do a theatrical run. It's definitely not for the kiddies if even Japan's children weren't big on it, so there's Zero chance of it going over well for family audiences here. I doubt they'll try and market it for older audiences, so maybe an arthouse run? Or at best a 2-week but limited theatrical run?
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:13 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
Urgh. Get ready for Selena Gomez, Billy Ray Cyrus, Debby Ryan and other schmucks like that. I don't give a shit what anybody says. They need to use professional VAs. It will fix the mistakes all movies after Ocean Waves had. Also, they need to outsource dubbing to Bang Zoom, who KNOW how to write a script and have good dubbing directors. As bad as Kaeko Sakamoto's Engrish is, her dubs are STILL good and some of the best in the country. Use Bang Zoom Disney. If you don't, you'll regret it.

Ghibli doesnt use professional Voice actors either, they use Japanese celebrities. Japanese Otaku criticize ghibli movies Voice Acting for not using professional VAs either

In a weird way, its fitting lol
geishageek

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Very happy to see this, as I had assumed GKids would get this like Poppy Hill, since it isn't really a kiddy type movie, but this makes me happy.

Also Disney does not always used Disney Channel actors (think Ponyo was really the one one to do so as far as I remember). They use a lot of big name celebrities in their films, who do an excellent job voicing the characters and will be happy to see them continue this trend for Wind Rises.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
pachy_boy wrote:

Bigger question is how they'll do a theatrical run. It's definitely not for the kiddies if even Japan's children weren't big on it

I find it hard to believe that a film can be #1 five weeks straight at the box office and not be a hit with children.
aquascor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:53 pm Reply with quote
If Disney can release this movie then they should at least give Only Yesterday a shot as well
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure if this movie had 'Takahata' attached to it instead of 'Miyazaki' that Disney probably would have passed.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ghibli doesnt use professional Voice actors either, they use Japanese celebrities. Japanese Otaku criticize ghibli movies Voice Acting for not using professional VAs either

In a weird way, its fitting lol

I know. Miyazaki has an aversion to traditionally voice actors, from what I know about him. However, unlike us, they(Japanese otaku) also never say that Miyazaki movies have better voice acting than the norm. A lot of us do.

This for example

Quote:
Some old article about the Princess Mononoke dub

Quote:
Miramax head Harvey Weinstein opted to abandon a planned release of the subtitled version last year in favor of taking the time to dub the film into English. Considering the quality of most foreign-film dubbing, especially of anime, this was a sore disappointment to those who had seen and fallen in love with the Japanese version. Thoughts of cartoony voices giving stiff line readings within the audible confines of a tiny recording studio sprang quickly to mind.

Fortunately, the expected debacle did not occur. Miramax hired a big-name voice cast (Claire Danes, Billy Crudup, Minnie Driver, Gillian Anderson, Billy Bob Thornton), giving the American version its own sheen of respectability. Equally important, they hired author Neil Gaiman to write the English-language dialogue, working from a translation of the original Japanese. Gaiman is a noted author in his own right, who has worked in diverse media, including comics (SANDMAN), television (NEVERWHERE), and even records (he collaborated with Alice Cooper on the concept for the album THE LAST TEMPTATION, and also wrote the tie-in comic book illustrating the story). Gaiman captures most of what was apparent in the subtitled version and even clarifies a few points for the benefit of Western viewers—while also making the whole thing sound natural in English, adopting a poetic, sometimes mythic tone in keeping with the film’s visual impact.

Purists might quibble over whether the result matches or exceeds the subtitled version. But it is a testament to the quality of the dub that any evaluation of the new version has to be based on weighing the relative merits of valid artistic choices. Whether or not one thinks English-language performances improve upon the original, one has to acknowledge that they are legitimate acting performances in their own right. In short, the fact that the film has been dubbed is almost no longer an issue: we’re not assessing a clearly inferior product whose only justification is selling tickets to those too lazy to read subtitles; rather, it is a faithful rendition that has been rendered into a new form for the benefit of its audience.

I might have agreed with this, but it's wrong now. It's been outdated for as long as it's been around. It's not judging quality. It's judging production values, which is an instant no-no and an instant failure, IMO. Also, If it was professionally dubbed, they could cut corners. If the P Mononoke dub costed about $2.1 million, then a dub can do a much better job for about $100,000 or even less. Personally, I'd pay the dubbing artists $5000-$10,000 for major roles and $5000< for smaller roles, but that's just me.
UseY0ur1llusi0n

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:06 pm Reply with quote

Last edited by UseY0ur1llusi0n on Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:53 am; edited 1 time in total
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Awesome!!! For a moment I was worried that they'd be tired of distributing Miyazaki's movies.

By the way, has anyone noticed that Japan is the last country in the world to have hand-drawn animation as mainstream entertainment?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4