• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: American Anime Awards Finalists Announced

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eos

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"These “Babes of Anime” will be dressed in designs by Project Runway winner Chloe Dao..."

I don't think this is the type of gala event she imagined herself designing for. I wonder if she's into cosplay? Smile

All in all, the finalists don't seem that bad, compared to what voters had to choose from.

Last edited by Eos on Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:58 am Reply with quote
this looks like one of those, which one doesn't belong in this list...
Quote:
Best Long Series
Fullmetal Alchemist
Inuyasha
Naruto
Rurouni Kenshin
Samurai Champloo

52 eps
200+
around a 100
26 Confused
Kouji

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:04 am Reply with quote
Once again this is nothing more than a popularity contest. I always knew from the start that it was going to come down to a showdown between FMA, Naruto, and Inuyasha. But I must admit that it's funny that all the Narutards complained about how terrible the English VAs were yet it still got nominated for Best Cast. I'm hoping Akira wins the best anime movie award just because it's the only movie on there that deserves it. The FMA movie was a decent film but it hardly deserves to be considered the "best" with all the major plot holes it has and the film's general lack of emotion but we all know it'll probably wind up winning just because of FMA's popularity. FMA may be my favorite anime but I'll be the first to admit that the anime, especially the movie, isn't without its flaws, though I personally love the manga more. I still want to know how does Pokemon get nominated but Howl's Moving Castle doesn't? Howl's Moving Castle may not have been everyone's favorite Miyazaki film but it's still a lot more creative and unique than anything Pokemon can come up with. And since when was Akira a comedy? Thanks a lot of adding Tsubasa to the polls only weeks after the voting started. A lot of good that did it. Rolling Eyes This whole anime awards is a big joke and an insult to the intelligence of the fans.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Sutibaru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:49 am Reply with quote
Best = Popularity I suppose.

No surprises here. That is what happens when you let the public decide and not people who know what makes a better anime other than what they like and that they might never have seen before.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Well at least most of the shows that are finalists are current shows, but as most people had said their mostly shows that are very popular. The only show I kind of scratch my head is FLCL, it's a great show but it came out (original run) such a long time ago.

Edit: Does anyone know if there's going to be anime awards that are given out by just critics? I mean something similar to Oscars, where fan voting is allowed but it's a very small percentage and the majority of the votes are from critics.
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:20 pm Reply with quote
this is just a crap marketing stunt for ADV. I am glad the only adv release in the finalists is Elfen Lied.

Last edited by ZeroRyoko1974 on Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
slickwataris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know Akira was a comedy Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Edit: Does anyone know if there's going to be anime awards that are given out by just critics? I mean something similar to Oscars, where fan voting is allowed but it's a very small percentage and the majority of the votes are from critics.

I'm supportive of the intent of the AAA, but I'd rather see critics awards myself. I'd work with others to make them a reality, but I don't think anime fans are best served by another set of awards at this time... what do you think ?

-t
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:27 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Finalists"]
Best Actor in a Comedy
Greg Ayres (Negima, Nerima Daikon Brothers)
Johnny Yong Bosch (Akira)
Liam O'Brien (Comic Party, DNA Squared, Girls Bravo)
Tony Oliver (Lupin III)
Dave Wittenberg (Zatch Bell)
Quote:

[quote="Milton Griepp"]The submission of a performer in Akira for Best Actor in a Comedy was put on the ballot because that's the way it was submitted by a nominator. Although most might not see Akira as a comedy, the decision was made to include it in the ballot in the way it was nominated, as there was no mechanism for arbitrating what was a comedy and what was not. That will probably change in future years. For this year, if fans that are voting feel that actor was worthy of a Best Actor in a Comedy award, they'll vote for it; if not, they won't.

Unfortunately having the fans rectify the problem obviously didn't work out. I sincerely hope the actual award for best actor in a comedy doesn't go to Johnny Yong Bosch.

-t
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:30 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
I'm supportive of the intent of the AAA, but I'd rather see critics awards myself. I'd work with others to make them a reality, but I don't think anime fans are best served by another set of awards at this time... what do you think ?

-t

I don't it would be a problem to have two different awards. Personally I think it's a good thing to have an award that is by the fans, basically a people choice award. And one by the critics, I think it would be interesting to see what anime are popular by fans and critics.

I see it (awards) becoming an issues when there are 15 different (types) awards given out each year. Much like how in movies we have golden globes, SAG, Directors Awards, AFI, Oscars, People choice, Kids choice, etc etc. At that point I stop caring as much about the awards, and I only focus on one or two different awards.
Kaitou Marina

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Well, that turned out pretty much how I thought it was going to.

I find it particularly pathetic that they're going all-out and getting a DRESS DESIGNER for their disgusting little popularity contest.

I'm not saying the anime nominated aren't good, but I AM saying that they do not represent the best cross-section of anime released in the U.S. has to offer, only the most popular. And I've said it before and I'll say it again: Best DOES NOT EQUAL most popular, dumbwits. Just because something plays on Adult Swim DOES NOT MEAN it's the BEST ANME EVAR OMG!!!1!11!! But of course, voters still passed over gorgeous series like Gankutsuou, Princess Tutu and Utena, so let the MAINSTREAM PARADE begin!

As someone with more varied taste in anime, this list makes me furious. Especially the severe underrepresentation of shoujo. Way to marginalize, voters.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:45 pm Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
I didn't know Akira was a comedy Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

Ya, you obviously were watching the 4Kids version. Wink,

Sutibaru wrote:
Best = Popularity I suppose.

Well it is the people choice awards, so I am not surprised that the most popular show this year (FMA) is leading the pack. I don't have a problem with that since it's a great show.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Chris Patton was robbed. I know I'm a Princess Tutu fangirl, but...still. He should be in that finalist list.

Not that the ones that are listed aren't good--I"ve been impressed with ALL of them--I just think that Patton's performace as Fakir was one of the best last year. I'd rather see Richard Hayworth taken off the list and Chris Patton in his place--not because I didn't like Hayworth as Rurouni Kenshin, I loved him, it's just been years since that show finished dubbing.

Meh, at least Luci still got a nomination for Princess Tutu. That's a miracle enough, considering how ignored the show's been by mainstream anime fans.

I guess with Chris out of the running I'll go back to my loyalty as a Ranger and root for Vic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:30 pm Reply with quote
These double threads always confuse me...so....I'll just post what I posted on the other thread over here:
Quote:
Chris Patton was robbed. I know I'm a Princess Tutu fangirl, but...still. He should be in that finalist list.

Not that the ones that are listed aren't good--I"ve been impressed with ALL of them--I just think that Patton's performace as Fakir was one of the best last year. I'd rather see Richard Hayworth taken off the list and Chris Patton in his place--not because I didn't like Hayworth as Rurouni Kenshin, I loved him, it's just been years since that show finished dubbing.

Meh, at least Luci still got a nomination for Princess Tutu. That's a miracle enough, considering how ignored the show's been by mainstream anime fans.

I guess with Chris out of the running I'll go back to my loyalty as a Ranger and root for Vic.

I am so mad right now. xD
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
Once again this is nothing more than a popularity contest. I always knew from the start that it was going to come down to a showdown between FMA, Naruto, and Inuyasha. But I must admit that it's funny that all the Narutards complained about how terrible the English VAs were yet it still got nominated for Best Cast. I'm hoping Akira wins the best anime movie award just because it's the only movie on there that deserves it. The FMA movie was a decent film but it hardly deserves to be considered the "best" with all the major plot holes it has and the film's general lack of emotion but we all know it'll probably wind up winning just because of FMA's popularity. FMA may be my favorite anime but I'll be the first to admit that the anime, especially the movie, isn't without its flaws, though I personally love the manga more. I still want to know how does Pokemon get nominated but Howl's Moving Castle doesn't? Howl's Moving Castle may not have been everyone's favorite Miyazaki film but it's still a lot more creative and unique than anything Pokemon can come up with. And since when was Akira a comedy? Thanks a lot of adding Tsubasa to the polls only weeks after the voting started. A lot of good that did it. Rolling Eyes This whole anime awards is a big joke and an insult to the intelligence of the fans.

keep in mind a majority of those fans who voted probably only knew about the shows they voted for. Inuyasha, Samurai Champloo, FMA, and naruto are shoved down cartoon network veiwers throats.

I agree though- I knew that this not only was a popularity contest but a poorly put together one.

Best dvd package? How did Bleach get on that list? Didn't it come out in Jan?

Seems like adding Tsubasa didn't do much good.

I see naruto or FMa winning in every category they're in. Yuri will probably win for Sasuke even though it should be Freeman or Vic.

Urgh...guess we'll have to wait and see. And even though its been said i'll still ask: why have they not taken Akira out of comedy? I'm sure ANN/ other anime sites have contacted them and told them its wrong.

But if Bosch wins for that it'll be a riot. You can choose if i mean the good or bad kind. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4