• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals Aquarion EVOL's English Dub Cast

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Micro_Ice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Sigh..For what reason is this blocked outside the USA? Had to use an unblocker...

Anyways, the dub here is surprisingly good but the teaser makes the show seem way different than it actually is, dunno if thats a good thing or not.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Pretty good trailer. The casting sounds good, also hearing the leader's dub voice again brings back those speeches heh.

Zessica's design is still awesome.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joe anime

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Micro_Ice wrote:
Sigh..For what reason is this blocked outside the USA? Had to use an unblocker...

FUNimation is a North American company,so they're videos can only be viewed in North America.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Bevins also confirmed these cast members:

Mykage: J. Michael Tatum
Jin: Todd Haberkorn
Yunoha: Luci Christian
Crea: Carrie Savage
Schrade: Eric Vale

SOURCE: https://twitter.com/VoiceofBevins/status/382582170289586176
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote
About time they had more news on this. Just like Guilty Crown I'm gonna preorder this with whatever limited edition they got.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I once saw that Aquarion EVOL received a bit of a negative reaction, so I never expected to see an English version of it...
Of course, now that Funimation is working on it, I'll see about trying this show out, perhaps after I rewatch Season 1 of Aquarion.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Micro_Ice wrote:
Anyways, the dub here is surprisingly good but the teaser makes the show seem way different than it actually is, dunno if thats a good thing or not.

I don't know if it's something with the US entertainment industry in general or what, but that practice is not uncommon. Whether it's an anime release, a TV show, or a film; it seems trailers and TV spots love to misrepresent something in order to increase the draw even if it means potentially disinteresting the intended audience. I always cite the film "Bridge to Terabithia" and its trailers as the best example as those trailers made the film look like a Narnia'esque title rather than the film it really was (which was a great film, arguably better than what the trailers made it look like it'd be). No surprise you'd see the same thing with anime trailers; they want viewers even if it means misrepresenting the title in the trailer to generate mass appeal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I once saw that Aquarion EVOL received a bit of a negative reaction, so I never expected to see an English version of it...
Of course, now that Funimation is working on it, I'll see about trying this show out, perhaps after I rewatch Season 1 of Aquarion.

Keep in mind Evol REQUIRES, no ifs about this, at least knowledge of the OVAs/Film to makes sense for one of the biggest retcons in the history of retcons.

Yeah, they totally went against the message that Evol was trying to get across, spoiler[ Not accepting Fate but instead choosing your own , only to go back on it and screw the original series out of its ending too.]

Yeah, I was infuriated. I love Kawamori when he's on whatever he does for Aquarion but that...that pissed me off.
Mune

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why, but I suddenly thought of Aquarian Age when I first looked at this. Great dub cast, terrible series.

I wonder if this will be better?
kevinx59

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Nice dub. Although I'm not too keen on Amata's voice, its pretty cool to see a lot of the cast from the original series in this. spoiler[ i especially like the fact that Mykage, Crea, and Fudou are voiced by their counterparts from season 1, but like i said i'm less keen on Amata's voice. It sounds a bit too rough for him.] Definitely a pr-order for me. Good work Funimation.
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I really like this show, and I'm glad to see it's getting a dub. Brandon Potter as Fudo is excellent as always (and was sorely missed when I watched EVOL in japanese), and Amata's voice is great: it's not killed by being generic anime male: it has some presence to it, which is interesting because it doesn't immediately telegraph what the character will be like. Crea is great, too.

I'm not sure how Zessica's voice will end up, because I only caught one line, but we'll see. All in all, it seems to be quite a bit better than the Japanese was.
cookiejarjelly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Oooh, I'll definitely be picking this up! EVOL is one of my favorite series ever (whereas Aquarion I thought was a steaming pile, and boring, to boot). It may be super-silly, over-the-top, and rather dumb, but it's so sincere and those characters are damn likable and fun to watch, even when they're doing nothing important. The dub sounds alright; it's mainly Funi regulars playing archetypes they're pretty good at, so I expect at least decent performances. And I appreciate that most of the original cast is back to voice the reincarnated characters. Except for Amata, I guess? Amata in EVOL is nothing like Apollo in the original Aquarion, so I'm not sure why anyone thought it was a smart idea to cast Christopher Bevins in that role. He sounds too old and gruff for it. I didn't like the dub of the original series too much (for that same reason) but I think the approach worked a little better there.
kh_gal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Wow! Sounds like an awesome dub we've got here. Very Happy Props to them, as always.

...BUT.

Am I the only one who is getting SICK of hearing Brina Palencia? Don't get me wrong I love her and she's a talented actress, but come on...she plays the main heroine, if not supporting heroine, in almost 75% of FUNI's catalog, half of which she does not suit vocally. It's ridiculous!!!

Will be picking this up regardless.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:42 pm Reply with quote
kh_gal wrote:
Am I the only one who is getting SICK of hearing Brina Palencia? Don't get me wrong I love her and she's a talented actress, but come on...she plays the main heroine, if not supporting heroine, in almost 75% of FUNI's catalog, half of which she does not suit vocally. It's ridiculous!!!

Strange, I don't see her name in the credits all that often within the shows from Funimation that I watch, as far as I know...
How did you find this out?
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:20 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
kh_gal wrote:

Strange, I don't see her name in the credits all that often within the shows from Funimation that I watch, as far as I know...
How did you find this out?

You must not watch many shows from FUNimation, then. Brina is one of their major regulars.

You know how for a long time it seemed like Todd Haberkorn was the lead role for EVERYTHING from FUNi? Brina is basically the female equivalent.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2