• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Channel Expands to New York

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amberle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I think there needs to be some clarification on this information. Does this mean that the FUNanimation channel is supposed to be available at a future date or does it mean it should be available today? Because if it is today, the information is incorrect. I have digital cable through Time Warner Cable, I've just checked, and there is no FUNanimation channel available.

Perhaps some further clarification is needed? Perhaps the channel is only supposed to be through a specific cable provider (not Time Warner Cable)? If that's true, I'm not entirely sure that the channel is reaching five million people, since Time Warner Cable has most, if not all, of all the market in NYC.
Kelly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:31 pm Reply with quote
amberle wrote:
Perhaps some further clarification is needed? Perhaps the channel is only supposed to be through a specific cable provider (not Time Warner Cable)? If that's true, I'm not entirely sure that the channel is reaching five million people, since Time Warner Cable has most, if not all, of all the market in NYC.

At least here in the Bronx, the carrier is Cablevision instead of Time Warner. If this does mean that Funimation is available on NYC cable, this is indeed exciting news. But you're right - the news is a bit vague and more clarification is needed.
FUNiRepBlue (disabled)
Company Representative

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Hey there!
Maybe I can help a bit:

The FUNimation Channel is available via digital broadcast, which is free over-the-air, digital broadcast. It is available on digital multicast channel 48.3, which is part of WRNN-TV. The paragraph mentions 5 million as the number of cable and satellite subscribers that WRNN-TV reaches. The paragraph also mentions the station’s digital broadcast reach (where the FUNimation Channel is broadcast), which is 16 million people. If you need information on how to watch the over-the-air digital broadcast, the www.funimationchannel.com website has a section that explains it.

Hope that helps a bit more!
~FUNiRepBlue
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Ah, nice to know Funi is expanding. I already get it, and watch it regularly (almost more than Cartoon Network now...) but I'm still waiting for Verizon to pick up The Anime Network in my area...what will all the channel shuffling they did this week I hope it's soon.

But more people watching anime on cable is indeed a good thing in my opinion.
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:39 pm Reply with quote
So is Funimation Channel on Cablevision? Is there a specific numerical channel? I don't know what WRNN is.
EDIT: Okay, so I see I have the WRNN channel on channel 19. But it's all paid programming. Where is Funi Channel?
I'm in the NY suburbs, so I don't know if I get it or not. Sad
Elistan98

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Will funimation ever hit Directv??
Kelly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for the link, FUNiRepBlue!

I understand now. If we want access, we have to get the digital antennae and receiver, which is different from the normal cable setup.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:

I understand now. If we want access, we have to get the digital antennae and receiver, which is different from the normal cable setup.

Yes, but you do not need a digital antenna, you need a digital tuner. I have an HDTV with a ATSC tuner (HD tuner) which pull in the funimation channel here in Los Angels free. It's channel 18.3 over the air and I'm using my cheap rabbit ear antenna that used to belong to my old tube tv. It also pull in about 20 other digital channel.
missbo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:48 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Kelly wrote:

Yes, but you do not need a digital antenna, you need a digital tuner. I have an HDTV with a ATSC tuner (HD tuner) which pull in the funimation channel here in Los Angels free. It's channel 18.3 over the air and I'm using my cheap rabbit ear antenna that used to belong to my old tube tv. It also pull in about 20 other digital channel.

i have a digital converter box with an antenna i was wondering if this funimation channel is still available i live in new york.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1