• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon X & Y Get 1.26 Million Pre-Orders

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:37 pm Reply with quote
That's a lot of games.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:39 pm Reply with quote
The real numbers, those that matter, are effectively 613,000 pre-orders per game, considering they are separate games (Not to mention that, for some odd reason, the purchasing population is predominately those just buying one of the two, as is usually the case.). I can't wait to see what the initial sales figures are when the games do release.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I laugh at people saying pokemon is dying or had died
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:43 am Reply with quote
I don't get why people preorder games. I'd much rather leave for my local Walmart at midnight than wait for the UPS guy to arrive in the evening, thus losing valuable gaming time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:58 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I don't get why people preorder games. I'd much rather leave for my local Walmart at midnight than wait for the UPS guy to arrive in the evening, thus losing valuable gaming time.

Huh? You can pre-order at a store and pick it up at the store when the game comes out, too, you know. All "pre-order" means is that you put money or a reservation down toward the game before its release date, thus guaranteeing your purchase and most likely guaranteeing that, even if you're late on the day of release, you'll still have a copy reserved for you. Since they like to guarantee pre-order purchases, lots of game releases/stores have pre-order bonuses, further encouraging people to pre-order from them, such as the build-yourself models of the legendary mascots of X and Y in Japan or the giant poster with a map of Kalos on one side and the official art for the two legendary mascots on the other side for Gamestop in America.

In other words, pre-ordering and going to pick your game up at midnight is still plausible, if not already the best possible option. And you can get a bonus for it if you do, too. My Kalos poster is already up in my room and, thanks to a friend in Japan, I'll be getting my Xerneas model in December, when she returns with our Japanese 3DS, too. =3
kakoishii

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
Since they like to guarantee pre-order purchases, lots of game releases/stores have pre-order bonuses, further encouraging people to pre-order from them, such as the build-yourself models of the legendary mascots of X and Y in Japan or the giant poster with a map of Kalos on one side and the official art for the two legendary mascots on the other side for Gamestop in America.

That must have been at select gamestops because I preordered x at my local gamestop and got no such poster. Oh well, it's not like I would've actually put that thing on my wall. I haven't done posters since my teen years.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:14 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
That must have been at select gamestops because I preordered x at my local gamestop and got no such poster. Oh well, it's not like I would've actually put that thing on my wall. I haven't done posters since my teen years.

That's always possible. Not every Gamestop signs up for every pre-order bonus, but I bet that, if you have another Gamestop in the area, they'll have it, unless they ran out by the time you pre-ordered it, since they do have a limited supply.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure I preordered in march when I bought mario kart 7. That was a while ago so I'd think they would've still had the posters if my gamestop had them. It was definitely a while ago that I preordered because I remember telling the clerk that I was apprehensive to do it because it was so far off from the release date, but then she convinced me telling me all about the cool preorder perks you could get. Oh the irony Rolling Eyes

EDIT:
I stopped at gamestop today after work to get the shiny giratina and low and behold a boy walked out with his dad with the poster you're talking about, so I'm thinking the clerk at the counter when I preoredered didn't know about the poster and thus that's why I didn't get one. Oh well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1