• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times Manga Best Seller List, October 6-12

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I do not get the whole attack of the titans thing,
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Im curious has manga ever made it or is it even eligible for paperback list? I kind of want to see how these volumes rank compared to main list.
GintokiThrowsDirtAtYou

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:11 am Reply with quote
attack on titan seems to be shueishas ultimate sales weapon. Its not like bleach which fails in japan but has huge success in western countries or mone piece which has huge success in japan but mediocre in western countries.

nope.

titan sales amazingly well in every country it appears. why ? I guess because big skinnless monsters hunting mankind is a cool idea.
and if we're honest, the writing is not bad. its full of deus ex mashina shit but it has nice plot twists and it is mostly consistent to what was said in earlier statements.
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:27 am Reply with quote
GintokiThrowsDirtAtYou wrote:
attack on titan seems to be shueishas ultimate sales weapon. Its not like bleach which fails in japan but has huge success in western countries or mone piece which has huge success in japan but mediocre in western countries.

1. AoT is not a Shueisha property, it is a Kodansha property
2. Bleach is nowhere near a failure in Japan unless you consider 500,000 sales per volume a failure
3. Show me some stats to prove One Piece has mediocre sales in the west
Kutsu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:15 am Reply with quote
In the western world, One Piece sales are only 'mediocre' (relatively speaking, I'd say average is a more fitting word in fact) in the US. They're fine in most european countries (around 90k/volume in France only behind Naruto, Bleach being behind both, among the bestsellers in Germany or Italy etc). I don't have stats for the UK or Australia but sales are apparently very low in these countries (they're quite low in the entire anglosphere tbh, they are not as terrible in absolute terms in the US only because of the huge population).
MentalMachine

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Kutsu wrote:
In the western world, One Piece sales are only 'mediocre' (relatively speaking, I'd say average is a more fitting word in fact) in the US. They're fine in most european countries (around 90k/volume in France only behind Naruto, Bleach being behind both, among the bestsellers in Germany or Italy etc). I don't have stats for the UK or Australia but sales are apparently very low in these countries (they're quite low in the entire anglosphere tbh, they are not as terrible in absolute terms in the US only because of the huge population).

English speaking countries don't care much for comics. Comics in the US are a $500 million business, which is not much compared to Japan's $4 billion or even back in the 90s. I don't remember comics in this current age doing 1.7 million per issue. In Finland, Donald Duck comics can do 1 million+ per issue in a country with less than 6 million people.
GintokiThrowsDirtAtYou

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:27 pm Reply with quote
EighteenSky wrote:

2. Bleach is nowhere near a failure in Japan unless you consider 500,000 sales per volume a failure

pardon me on that. kodansha ofcourse. But the other stuff I said is actually true. sure bleach sales can be considered top seller in japan but compared to naruto which is really bad right now and still sells over a million, it doesnt compare. not to mention one piece..oh hell no.
meeedoooz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:48 pm Reply with quote
EighteenSky wrote:

pardon me on that. kodansha ofcourse. But the other stuff I said is actually true. sure bleach sales can be considered top seller in japan but compared to naruto which is really bad right now and still sells over a million, it doesnt compare. not to mention one piece..oh hell no.

why do you keep baiting ?! bleach's sales have decreased but it is still a grand franchise , Naruto is maintaining it's norm with 1M copies sold per volume ( sometimes less sometimes more ) so how the hell is it bad ?!! i get it.. to you every series must sell as one piece or else it's bad ?! my god.

anyhow the US market is small, that doesn't mean what AOT achieves is any less impressive . good day to you sir
GintokiThrowsDirtAtYou

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:24 am Reply with quote
why are you so stubborn ? I'm not comparing its sales to one piece, neither do i hate bleach. i highly enjoy its current arc in fact even more than all the ones before. I'm comparing bleachs sales to its past sales that reached a million or came very close, which is not the case anymore. The reason is most likely the fullbring arc.
Naruto's writing is really bad in the current arc, it draws itself more and more into paradoxes and leaves plotholes at points where its easy to not to.

So what ? Is it now illegal to discuss sales and say your theories ? give me a fishing break
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1