• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Beyond the Boundary Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I really felt like I was the only who saw this show for what it's been so far. A pretty flawed forgettable show.

I'm so happy I'm not the only one.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:06 pm Reply with quote
This will probably be the first Kyoto Animation show I don't finish since.... uuhhhhhhh..... well, I didn't finish Air until the R1 DVD release, but I think I watched everything else in full and everything from Haruhi on as it aired. The fight scenes can be very pretty, but there are several other shows delivering on that front this season. Other than that, I found the show a combination of boring and irritating (extremely so in a few cases, relate to the show's treatment of Mirai). There's a slight chance I'll still finish this if I find myself needing something to watch and lacking sufficient alternatives next week, but it's not looking good and I haven't watched the past 2 episodes. Well, 3 as of today I guess.

Hellwarden wrote:
I really felt like I was the only who saw this show for what it's been so far. A pretty flawed forgettable show.

I'm so happy I'm not the only one.

No, that's pretty normal from what I've seen. Even some staunch Kyoto Animation fans I know are finding this show to be disappointing on some level.
Azure-Wind91

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I stuck with this until episode 5. It just felt like I was wasting my time with it.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this is the point where we should start paying attention on which directors and screenwriters are working on a KyoAni title. Man, I hope they go back on this title and reevaluate what work and what didn't work the next time they want to tackle this genre again. This is not exactly Taichi Ishidate's good directorial debut, huh? Sad
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Needs more blood-bending!
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6 is a pretty good gag episode. The rest of the show is uh...it's...hard to even describe, because it's so mediocre.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:12 pm Reply with quote
A podcast from random curiosity pretty much summed up the deal with this show: Kyoani is way too incestuous with itself and needs new DNA.

Like Chuu 2 he source material was their own, unlike Chuu2 however... no scratch that, this show feels like it's trying too hard to be what happened if the actions scenes in Rikka's head were a real story. Rikka's own fanfic realized *shivers*

I'm pretty much watching this for the pretty animation and visuals but I still couldn't really care for these characters, I don't exactly hate them I just feel nothing towards them (except the siscon jokes, and the glasses lover jokes are starting to wear on me too) .
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I don't even know why I am still watching this junk......I keep telling myself that the plot and the characters in this show is a complete mess, but somehow I end up watching it every week. Probably due to lack of good shows to watch this season.

I agree with everything Carl said in this review. The characters in this show are nothing more than excuses to have a plot that were done some 3248954 times so far in the world of anime, the only things that are stopping this train wreck from teetering down the cliff are the animation and the technical merits.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Review wrote:
When the show pulls back the curtain to reveal the tragic stains darkening Mirai's past, it's impossible to see the damage that those stains have dealt behind the blinding brightness of her cuteness. She's—and I honestly thought I'd never say this—just too adorable.

All of which guts any impact that Mirai's emotional revelations might have had. Which in turn makes Mirai a curiously empty character, all surface lovability with no emotional weight to swing and thus no leverage to make us truly care about her.

Maybe I'm not understanding something here, but how does her being adorable erase any sort of emotional weight to her? Is your brain honestly that miss-wired? If you think that Mirai is a boring character because she's a moe clutz who can only spout 'how unpleasant' then that's fine. But saying that she doesn't work as a character because she's too adorable? That's just plain idiocy.

For me, Mirai's realization that she had been wrong about Akihito's situation was what made her (finally) appeal to me. It took quite awhile, but when she ran and hugged the rampaging youmu version of Akihito and apologized for truly not understanding Akihito's position it really struck home. And no, her being 'too adorable' didn't erase any of that for me.

Not my favorite show of the season by a long shot, but something certainly worth watching each week.
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I think what the reviewer was saying is that the show can't and doesn't walk the fine line between dark and cute. By the time the show has some serious moments roll around, it's hard to see the characters as anything other than the cute wacky moe blobs they've been portrayed as so far.

A good work of fiction can be both dark and light at the same time, but it requires good timing and directing. Beyond the Boundary has neither.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Maybe I'm not understanding something here, but how does her being adorable erase any sort of emotional weight to her?

Judging solely by what was written in the review (as I haven't seen the show yet and have no intention of doing so), I think he means that when Bad Things happen to you, they leave scars behind, whether they are physical, psychological, or both. But if the character doesn't exhibit any sign of having gone through those experiences, it creates an inconsistency that is hard to get past. In other words, she *should not* be so adorable having suffered Bad Things in her past, so her character comes off as being less believable, which weakens your connection to the character, which causes said character to have less emotional weight -- to be less impactful -- to the viewer.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Moe killed the action star.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I haven't been reading the reviews here lately, because they've all been, well, kind of porridge is the best metaphor I can think of now. Bland. Unwilling to take a stand. Along the lines of 'yeah, this series is a pretty generic derivative, but it's okay I guess, if you like that'. Now this is a review that comes out punching. And after reading the review, I can't argue with it. Kyoukai no Kanata may be one of the better shows this season, but that because everything else sucks, not because it itself is good. And I think the review hit the nail on the head. There is no chemistry between the male and female lead, and that is because the leads have zero personality, and without that, what is there to watch for?
Leebo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:00 pm Reply with quote
This doesn't have anything to do with this review specifically, but looking at the scores made me go through a bunch of other reviews and look at those scores and whatnot.

I think I'm going to just start translating scores into 1-5 rather than F-A.

I think my personal feelings about what a C meant to me when I was in school color my impressions of what a reviewer means when they give a C to a show.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Maybe I'm not understanding something here, but how does her being adorable erase any sort of emotional weight to her?

Judging solely by what was written in the review (as I haven't seen the show yet and have no intention of doing so), I think he means that when Bad Things happen to you, they leave scars behind, whether they are physical, psychological, or both. But if the character doesn't exhibit any sign of having gone through those experiences, it creates an inconsistency that is hard to get past.

But she does exhibit those signs. She constantly turns down invitation to join the literature club. She is obviously fearful of killing another youmu. She was thinking of killing herself at the start of the show. She has serious issues. It wasn't all that hard to see that if anyone bothered to pay a little attention to the show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7