• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2014 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Very excited to see this go up, since I've been keeping an eye out for it. I haven't gone through and looked at the reviews yet but I wanted to say that I love the new organization, with reviews of the same show grouped together. Since I have a pretty good idea how my tastes line up with the regular reviewers, it's definitely good to be able to compare reviews for the same series so easily.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I have to say I'm shocked Dandy isn't getting higher scores. I thought that would be one of those 4.5/5 shows from everyone.

Quote:
In fact, the best thing about the first episode may actually be the English voice acting, which is perfectly-cast with Funimation regulars and well-performed.

person#107990

One of the Space Dandy staff said that the English dub was bad and recommended the sub.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:46 pm Reply with quote
It has arrived. Yay, about time.

Any longer and the season would've been over.
Leebo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I liked Dandy more than Carl or Theron did, but I agree that it's thin beyond visual flair and occasional humor.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I have to say I enjoyed Space Dandy far more then I expected. I went into it expecting one of Watanabes normal kinda things (which I never like), but instead got a fun show with bizarre space adventures and lots of fanservice. I understand its probably not what you'd want if you were hoping for another Bebop, but it certainly is more in line with what I enjoy.
spoony

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I love that it's organized by show! Much more user-friendly. Thanks, ANN staff. <3
GYRAX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:57 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I have to say I'm shocked Dandy isn't getting higher scores. I thought that would be one of those 4.5/5 shows from everyone.

Quote:
In fact, the best thing about the first episode may actually be the English voice acting, which is perfectly-cast with Funimation regulars and well-performed.

person#107990

One of the Space Dandy staff said that the English dub was bad and recommended the sub.

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, he missed something in there, himself, and redacted any statement on it.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote
GYRAX wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Quote:

person#107990

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, he missed something in there, himself, and redacted any statement on it.

Yes he did delete his comment, but most people feel its because his bosses didn't want him saying negative things about the show. Of course, that can't be proven one way or the other, but I'd be inclined to believe his original tweets.
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

He did not do that,he deleted tweet afterwards but he does that frequently.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Honey gave an extremely stupid guess to Dandy's profession when he told her to guess, in both languages.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:13 pm Reply with quote
The optimistic side of me is saying that Space Dandy might need a couple episodes to get going. So far, its decent, hopin it improves
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Honey gave an extremely stupid guess to Dandy's profession when he told her to guess, in both languages.

Yes, but her answer in the sub can also be interpreted as her insulting Dandy, which gives us a clue that she's not as ditzy and stupid as she acts. It's also arguably just as funny.

The actual voice acting in the dub was great, but that change comes across as...unnecessary.

Last edited by ThatGuyWhoLikesThings on Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Pretty surprised that Spaced Dandy scored so low. Silly boob jokes aside, i enjoyed it quite a bit. Then again, i missed most of the hype surrounding it and didn't have very high expectations, i guess.

Oh and btw, i love the new format! Makes the guide a lot easier to read, thank you. Smile
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:15 pm Reply with quote
publicenemy333 wrote:
The optimistic side of me is saying that Space Dandy might need a couple episodes to get going. So far, its decent, hopin it improves

Especially with the ending being what it was (spoiler[all the characters die]), this is a definitely a series that I want to see the first two episodes of before I make up my mind whether to actually continue with it.

There's not many series coming out this season that I'm super excited for, so I'm thankful as always for you guys sitting through everything to let us know if there's something good we might have noticed, or what is definitely to be avoided.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I actually kinda enjoyed Space Dandy too! Anyways, the season officially began and I have high hopes for some of the other shows soon to debut.

Also I kinda like the new format/layout of the preview guides to make it easier to find which shows are being reviewed beforehand.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 47