• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Mangaka Yuu Watase Blogs About Editorial Harassment

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:04 pm Reply with quote
That guy sounds like a jerk. Glad he was replaced.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Man, that guy does sound like a jerk, good riddance.

I remember in the author's notes for Dr. Slump, Akira Toriyama sometimes wouldn't see eye to eye with his editor, Kazuhiko Torishima, who was obsessed with having love relationships shoe-horned into his works (all of which I found immensely annoying when they popped up --- Torishima even wanted Goku to hook up with Bulma, was how he much pressed the issue). I loved how Toriyama turned it around somewhat though, by injecting the editor himself as a character in Dr. Slump, known as the villainous Dr. Mashirito (IIRC, Toriyama got away with it by turning in the manuscript at the last possible moment, the sneaky devil). Laughing
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:26 pm Reply with quote
How the Hell do bullies like this rise up in the ranks? Confused It boggles the mind.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:32 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
How the Hell do bullies like this rise up in the ranks? Confused It boggles the mind.

It happens in almost every field of endeavor. "Micro-managers" is the classic term.

I'm sorry that Watase-sensei had to have that sort of experience, hopefully having outlasted this particular editor she will find herself more able to deal with any such in the future.

Mark Gosdin
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm reminded of that one episode of Oreimo. Some people just can't make it as creators and can be pretty bitter about it. That's why they try to influence other peoples works into what they want.
grooven

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Wow that is terrible. i can't even imagine dealing with that. I'm surprised she stuck out so long.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:01 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

It happens in almost every field of endeavor. "Micro-managers" is the classic term.

I'm sorry that Watase-sensei had to have that sort of experience, hopefully having outlasted this particular editor she will find herself more able to deal with any such in the future.

Mark Gosdin

Karma finds a way. Anime hyper Watase has clearly accrued a lot of good will in her years as an author.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:29 pm Reply with quote
The only "revision" that editor deserved was a swift kick in the balls.
TheMagickHat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I really can't stand the "my way or the highway" types of management. I have a hard enough time dealing with that in a job that's just for paying the bills, I doubt I'd be able to deal with that when doing work I actually care about.

Major kudos to Watase-san for sticking through all of that.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Wow that sound really bad but there many people who become editors do to they cant making it as mangakas but some of those are just jerks that need to get a new day job
BGMaxie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Sadly enough there are not-so-nice-people who just aren't fit to work with people 1) They are way too arrogant 2) They don't listen 3) They don't care.

Glad to hear that editor was replaced, he was being forceful and plain unprofesional.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that's terrible, especially considering that you'd think Watase, being an experienced mangaka, might have had enough clout to be treated better than the norm. Though maybe that wasn't the case since it was her first venture into shounen. I definitely feel bad for her and anyone else unfortunate enough to work with this guy.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
The only "revision" that editor deserved was a swift kick in the balls.

Bullying a woman to the point she had headaches and anxiety issues? I say he should have lost his balls altogether.
DTJB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like a total dick if you ask me.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:51 pm Reply with quote
It sounds like up until the Suzukura Arc, we have not be reading the mangaka's work but actually the editor's work.

She should approach her publisher, or switch publishers, and ask for redoing the series up until this point maybe. Though I'd understand given the stress and bad experience surrounding it, maybe she wouldn't be motivated to reboot it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2