• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Director Collet-Serra Hopes Live-Action Akira Will Be His Next Work

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That's part of the Japanese culture, they never have strong characters.

Wow way to sound about as insulting as possible! I know a lot of anime characters are done in broad strokes but did you have to say Japanese characters are never strong?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:56 pm Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
Quote:

Wow way to sound about as insulting as possible! I know a lot of anime characters are done in broad strokes but did you have to say Japanese characters are never strong?
Omfg lol. I can list so many strong characters. Goku, Alucard, the dude from Kaze no Stigma is pretty OP the entire series....Mentally strong is even easier. This guy clearly has no idea wtf he's talking about....and his movies all have sucked so far so I dont think I want him touching it.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm just so tired of Akira USA. Either make the stupid movie or don't. And the smart thing would be "don't".
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
GracieLizzy wrote:
Quote:

Omfg lol. I can list so many strong characters. Goku, Alucard, the dude from Kaze no Stigma is pretty OP the entire series....Mentally strong is even easier. This guy clearly has no idea wtf he's talking about....and his movies all have sucked so far so I don't think I want him touching it.

I think he means lacking in depth or layers by saying "not strong".... which still baffles me because I thought in general most Japanese media is very character driven. I mean not always, but often.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:27 pm Reply with quote
We've heard this before Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Good points:
-Katsuhiro Otomo is involved.
-The leaked storyboards showed that it'll at least resemble the manga.
-It's being done by the director of "Orphan."

Bad points:
-The controversial statement about strong characters.
-The director also did the "House of Wax" remake.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I want a live action Akira to happen, because unlike other sheep I don't see whats so bad about live action adaptations. There's been very few actual Hollywood anime adaptions, not really enough to judge.

Still, his comments are quite terrible and sound like the come from someone with no experience whats so ever in Japanese media. It sounds like he just heard someone talk about the "abstraction" and "ambiguity" in Japanese things and went off that. No doubt those exists, but more traditional by western standards storytelling is just as frequent.

Plus the dude's resume dosen't say much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Animeking: Otomo's "involved" in the sense that he's informed about the status of the project, and that's it. Razz

Rahxephon: He doesn't have experience, period, but he's cheap, so that's all they care about.
simona.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote
wow, this guy really knows his manga and anime - NOT.
hence the most probable candidate to direct it, if we look back at the generally horrendous Hollywood remakes of anything Japanese: CLUELESS.

BOO.
E-Master

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Having Katsuhiro Otomo involved with the project is a good idea, but I'm not sure that will mean that the movie will be good. Course doing a live action version on something like Akira could go either direction either it'll do well or it will fall flat on its back.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:38 pm Reply with quote
This guy has had Liam Neeson in his last two movies. If Liam Neeson's latest stint as a soundbyte hero is Jaume Collet-Serra's idea of a strong character, oy vey. Rolling Eyes
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Can't we just be semi-happy with Chronicle?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:55 pm Reply with quote
If guys read the original source, here's how it was said:

• CS: And we all have that original anime, it's there, nothing can sully it, so if you were going to do it in live-action one would hope you would bring something new to the table. What is it you are bringing specifically that is going to make it yours?

Collet-Serra: I hope that I can bring strong characters. In the original source material, I don't think the main characters are the protagonists. What I'm hoping is to bring characters.

CS: That's true. It's one of those strange stories where you literally never see the main character that is the namesake of the film!

Collet-Serra: Nobody's interesting. Tetsuo's interesting because weird sh*t happens to him, and Kaneda is so two-dimensional. That's part of the Japanese culture, they never have strong characters. They're used as a way to move the other philosophy forward.

It seems he meant strong as in very interesting protagonists.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:59 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol: Even in context, his opinions are still terrible. Rolling Eyes
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Coming back to my dorm from a class that's focusing on exoticism directed towards Japanese culture, then seeing this tripe of a quote, reminds me that we still have a long way to go. People need to stop acting like "Japanese culture" is something that can be totally defined, especially based on the fiction its inhabitants produce. It's completely unfair, and plays into the race binary unintentionally ("our characters are defined and we have a message, but their work is all about the message and has terrible characters," is how that reads.) And yes, I'm lumping overly emphatic anime fans (some call them "weeabus") into this, because basing your perception of a nation with its own set of problems on an animated television show is silly.

TL;DR I can't believe people are still saying drivel like this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3