• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy - Nendoroid Mikasa Ackerman

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AsukaTenjyoin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Bought one a few months ago for $34,60 including shipping cost to Germany. Good deal. And I love it^^
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Good figures are like good food. Once you've gone and tried the Real Action Heroes line, you can't go back.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Is the idea to make a new, boxed figure harder to find on the second-hand market?

Considering the number of 2nd-hand shops I encountered in my brief visit, I wouldn't be surprised.
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:05 pm Reply with quote
When I saw "a few months ago for $34,60 including shipping cost to Germany." just now, my bootleg alarm lights went off.

Basically, a brand new (came out three weeks ago) figure of a super popular character will not go that low. So I gotta warn you, poster, that your figure is 99% likely a fake.

Bootleg Attack on Titan Nendoroids have been floating around for months before the original release. Here is one.

Aside from the drastically lower quality, If the box looks like the one you see in the pictures in this auction, namely this one:

http://i.imgur.com/hCf8TLl.jpg?

It is a bootleg. This is the old box design for Nendoroids, and when they were putting together the fake they guessed as to what the box would look like and made this design. The new box design, from 300 on, is more streamlined and features the number very prominently.

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mVnz3UA610JM6csSXxqCVqg.jpg

(Having this box design doesn't mean it isn't a bootleg!)

The Titan Nendoroid bootlegs were actually intended to beat the real product to market: rather than recasting, they just tried to make an approximation of the same thing as fast as they could.

Be warned that Ebay is a bad place to buy Nendoroids; there is more fake than real product. I would stick to dedicated dealers with good reputations like Amiami, HLJ, BBTS, and sometimes Amazon.

Last edited by davecabrera on Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
AsukaTenjyoin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:10 pm Reply with quote
davecabrera wrote:
Aside from the drastically lower quality, If the box looks like the one you see in the pictures in this auction, namely this one:

[img]http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTQzWDUyMg==/z/DWUAAOxy3zNSjvjk/$_3.JPG?rt=nc[/img]

Well the box I received didn't look like that one in the picture.
angieness

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I pre-ordered both the Nendoroid and Figma and they arrived at the same time. I think the main flaw on both figures is the stand is a royal pain in the ass to deal with. Like I had to battle both of them to actually get the peg into the hole. Considering Attack on Titan's whole thing is air combat, I thought that was kind of a mistake.

But nonetheless, the Figma is far superior to the Nendoroid. I do like the Nendoroid, but I'm also a Mikasa fan. But the Figma is so loaded with nice extras and details, it's definitely worth buying. They put a ton of effort into it so it has all the bells and whistles.
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm relieved to hear the Figmas are in fact good; I'm still looking forward to them but I the first production run was gone faster than I could make an Amiami order. We have an order on the second run of figma Eren, so look forward to it!
NidhoggRocketman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I just thought I'd be a second person who got the Mikasa figma in the other day and said it is indeed good.

I can't say anything about the nendoroid. I passed over it because nendoroid cutesy-ness with Attack on Titan just seems wrong.
angieness

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:48 pm Reply with quote
davecabrera wrote:
I'm relieved to hear the Figmas are in fact good; I'm still looking forward to them but I the first production run was gone faster than I could make an Amiami order. We have an order on the second run of figma Eren, so look forward to it!

It's pretty great! Not the best photo because it's a hassle taking it out of the display case, but mine apparently has it in for Sailor Moon.

http://i.imgur.com/Bi0DxvT.jpg

Even in my so-so phone picture it's pretty obvious there's quite a bit more detail put into her vs. the Nendoroid.
Wolfgirl90

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Just an FYI:

The salute is correct. It is made by placing the left arm behind your back and your right arm at your chest above your "heart". The salute on the figure is a little weird looking, but it is still correct.

Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:35 am Reply with quote
davecabrera wrote:
Basically, a brand new (came out three weeks ago) figure of a super popular character will not go that low. So I gotta warn you, poster, that your figure is 99% likely a fake.

Getting good prices on Japanese toys, even new ones, aren't hard to get if you know where to go. For example, Mandarake has this exact Nendoroid for 3000 yen, and when they say "box a little damaged", it's VERY "little" damage. Heck, I ordered my Kamen Rider Cyclone Figuart from them within a couple weeks of its release, for about 3500 yen, and that was a Bandai Web Exclusive release.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:50 am Reply with quote
In the link to the RAH figure, it says it's in "substandard grade condition." Since it's a pre-order, how does that work?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:45 am Reply with quote
Here's what she has to say about that!

davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:49 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
In the link to the RAH figure, it says it's in "substandard grade condition." Since it's a pre-order, how does that work?

BBTS's core audience is really serious "mint in box" collectors who can't abide a single scuff on the packaging. They have their own system for grading condition, and anything you get from them will be packed extremely well. By saying "substandard grade" on a preorder they're basically saying they can't guarantee that the box is going to be perfect.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I see. Thanks for the info!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2