• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Producer: Miyazaki Wanted to Make 'Ponyo 2' Instead of The Wind Rises

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:09 am Reply with quote
Oh thank god they went this route instead... if they did make ponyo 2 I would have just given up on the man.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sana_chan5

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:25 am Reply with quote
Me too... sequels usually turn out horrible, and IMO Ponyo wasnt that great anyway.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:47 am Reply with quote
dodged a bullet there. To go out on Ponyo 2 would've been very, very sad. I can't say I wouldn't have raged with a big "wtf Miyazaki, really?!" Until Ponyo I didn't think it was possible for me to hate a Miyazaki film, but I honestly do not like that movie, at all.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:05 am Reply with quote
Ponyo was cute, but I didn't find it to be one of his greatest pieces. A sequel? Where would they even go from there? It is fine how it is.
digritz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:05 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Oh thank god they went this route instead... if they did make ponyo 2 I would have just given up on the man.

Yea well I can certainly see how you could feel that way. I'm mean the guy has given us nothing but crap over the years. Classics?....Please who does this clown think he is.......

Oh wait now I remember. He's the genius that has given us countless classics and helped bring animation and anime out of the realm of Japanese children's entertainment to adults and the rest of the world.

John Lasseter, director of Toy Story and one of the most successful animators in Hollywood said this about Miyazaki: "I love his films. I study his films. I watch his films when I'm looking for inspiration."

He has also said, and many other directors and critics like Rodger Ebert agree that this quiet man from Japan may be the best animation filmmaker in history.

Well thank God he didn't screw it all up by making Ponyo 2.

And by the way if you didn't like Ponyo it's probably because you didn't understand the subtle transformative concepts and ideas of the movie.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:16 am Reply with quote
I liked Ponyo, but I think Suzuki realized he cheapened the Ghibli brand enough by standing by Goro. Rolling Eyes Still hoping for that Porco Rosso sequel, though.
partysmores

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:31 am Reply with quote
But...I wanted a Ponyo 2. Sad
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:52 am Reply with quote
digritz wrote:
*snip*

There's no denying that Miyazaki's films are gorgeous, but even comparing his own works, you can tell the man has been phoning it in during the past decade-and-change.

It doesn't make his movies any less important, make no mistake, but Miyazaki is far from God's Gift to Japanese Animation. (IMO, he makes the mistake of not letting writing get in the way of a pretty scene, but that's just me.)
fanime99

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:01 am Reply with quote
I know some people who like Ponyo. I don't.

I will never watch Grave of the Fireflies again. Not because it's a bad film, but because it makes me feel bad. It's a brilliant film about a horrible thing.

Ponyo, on the other hand, makes me feel almost nothing at all. Maybe a little derision. I would not bother watching a Ponyo 2.

Pretty much every other Studio Ghibli film, however, is something special. Even From Up on Poppy Hill Smile

I am looking forward to The Wind Rises.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:22 am Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
digritz wrote:
*snip*

It doesn't make his movies any less important, make no mistake, but Miyazaki is far from God's Gift to Japanese Animation. (IMO, he makes the mistake of not letting writing get in the way of a pretty scene, but that's just me.)

I'm sorry, but Miyazaki has most certainly been "god's gift" to Japanese animation. There is no one, absolutely no one, else in the industry who has captured the hearts of millions around the world like Miyazaki has. And I say that as someone who has the deepest respect for at least another dozen major Japanese directors from Takahata to Hosoda to Shinkai to the late great Kon; Miyazaki is in a league of his own in terms of what he has done for not only Japanese animation, but for Japanese film and even animation as a whole. Miyazaki transcended the medium and national borders like no one else.
BrainBlow

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:06 am Reply with quote
HAAAAAM!!
Sylontack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:17 am Reply with quote
Ponyo is good as a film, but it falls way below the Ghibli bar (and even further below the Miyazaki bar).

There is one film and one alone of his that I could see a sequel come from and that is Nausicaa, only because I have been led to believe the manga goes further than the film did. (That or perhaps a spiritual successor of sorts to Totoro, but not a sequel)

Some films just shouldn't have a sequel, especially with a tacky "2!" slapped on the end of it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:25 am Reply with quote
Ironically, there are two Ghibli sequels under the radar which no one seems to mind. The Cat Returns and that Totoro short at the museum. I guess it's all about the title. Wink
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:27 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

My first thought was "He will be on his deathbed still wanting to make that preciously-idiosyncratic caterpillar movie!! Mad "

While I'm sure an expanded Ponyo storyline (that finally gets away from Hans Christian Andersen) would be more entertaining than Wind--and I'm still thinking "He will...he will. Rolling Eyes ", that's what still haunts my idea of what another made-for-preschool Ponyo would be like.
When the directors insist on doing a sequel the studio doesn't want, that's when you've got to worry.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:22 am Reply with quote
Ponyo is my least favourite Miyazaki film and my second least favourite Ghibli film (least favourite is a tie between Pom Poko and Tales from Earthsea - I actually don't mind any of those three films, but I simply rank them against my enjoyment of the other Ghibli films and that's where they fall - the only Ghibli feature I haven't seen yet is My Neighbors the Yamadas, so I have no idea where it would rank).

So I'm glad we got The Wind Rises rather than Ponyo 2. If TWR truly is Miyazaki's last film, it makes a better capstone to his career, thematically, than Ponyo 2 would have.

Still, I'd watch anything that guy makes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3