• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Vividred Operation Sub.DVD

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Please do not derail this into "Aniplex is overpriced" thread #572.

K thanks.

----------

Is this the censored or uncensored version?

----------

Carl Kimlinger also singled the music out as being of high quality. Interesting.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Takamura isn't the mind behind Strike Witches Razz

He just directs the anime adaptation, and due to the moderate success, VO was born.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:00 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

I like how the reviewer is the instigator this time, it's rather refreshing. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
this one succeeds as well as it does

I don't remember this being succesful... at all...

And that's probably why AoA did a DVD-only release of this, and put the bare minimum of needed effort into the product. They knew it wasn't a title that was going to top the charts so why put extra effort into production Wink?

As for the show itself, I didn't think it was very good. I watched first 3½ episodes and then gave up on it, as my interest didn't grow in the slightest Sad.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm kinda hoping for a 2nd season, it should have enough sales for it.

7jaws7 wrote:
Takamura isn't the mind behind Strike Witches Razz

He just directs the anime adaptation, and due to the moderate success, VO was born.

Moderate? I would say that VO was a moderate success, but Strike witches was a hit(going by its sales). The movie also did rather good.

SouthPacific wrote:

I don't remember this being succesful... at all...

At what? It did do good as far as sales go, or are you talking about the anime itself?
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
including Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Rei is essentially Homura)

Uh...'The Fiery, Dark-Haired Archer' has been a genre archetype for quite sometime now. It was introduced into the genre way back in the early 90s by Naoko Takeuchi with Sailor Mars, whose archery served as a clever incorporation of Rei's spirituality into her senshihood.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I immediately lost whatever urge I had to buy this at "does not offer offer translated lyrics". It's a fun show, but AoA doesn't seem to be offering anything here I wouldn't be able to enjoy via Crunchyroll.

On the show itself, one thing I think they messed up on(most of Theron's minuses clearly being fully intended) is the bit at the end where spoiler[the crow eats Rei], which really should've been done completely differently(unless they were also intending to be as ridiculous as possible there). I also feel they missed an opportunity by making the male student uniform so normal.

As to its success, I found a list of per-volume sales; the first-week averages work out to over 5300 BDs, hardly a flop.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:

As to its success, I found a list of per-volume sales; the first-week averages work out to over 5300 BDs, hardly a flop.

Yeah my bad, I remember looking at some sales charts a while back and must've confused this title with another one Embarassed . While a first week average of 5300 isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination, it's not great either. I figure something like this usually does 1.5-3k in average volume sales, I guess some the "spicy" scenes really appealed to otaku in Japan Laughing.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:

It was actually the 4th best selling title of winter 2013, which is not that impressive since winter tends to be weak in sales, but still enough to make it stand out.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:22 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

K thanks.

----------

----------

Carl Kimlinger also singled the music out as being of high quality. Interesting.

i have to suspect its the censored version.

However cause of the fact that this series is as usual a sub only release whereas madoka magica have both a sub and dub is more than enough reason for an auto skip it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

K thanks.

Yeah, except Carl in his review referred to this retail item as "overpriced." So we'll just go ahead and talk about whatever we want and if you don't like it, too damn bad, K?

Rolling Eyes
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:53 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Quote:
including Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Rei is essentially Homura)

Uh...'The Fiery, Dark-Haired Archer' has been a genre archetype for quite sometime now. It was introduced into the genre way back in the early 90s by Naoko Takeuchi with Sailor Mars, whose archery served as a clever incorporation of Rei's spirituality into her senshihood.

And in case it wasn't obvious, the originator of this archetype in the genre was named Rei (like the Vividred version of this archetype).
ccChuey123

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

K thanks.

----------

----------

Uncensored
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
I immediately lost whatever urge I had to buy this at "does not offer offer translated lyrics". It's a fun show, but AoA doesn't seem to be offering anything here I wouldn't be able to enjoy via Crunchyroll.

You'd be missing out on all the uncensored goodness though!

Personally I want to get this, but I am holding off until Aniplex decides to release a blu-ray version
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Some of the reviews on this site could be about a dump the reviewer took the day before and they'd still manage to give it a B. This show is pretty, but that doesn't stop it from being bad. I can understand personal preference and whatnot, but this show doesn't even try to explain what's going on in its plot or why anything is happening. It's literally just a bunch of fourteen year-old girls jumping around in skimpy outfits (or no outfits at all.) I don't really see how that's in any way worthy of a B.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Nice show, nice review. It was a good show, although I was expecting a bit more out of the series.(not nudity, creativity perhaps) probably because of how much I loved Strike Witches. Love the character designs though. And the music. I was surprised it wasn't from the composer of Strike Witches, it sounded really similar. Weird how there's no blu ray, considering how good the show's art and animation is.

I'm still debating on whether I should get this show though. I want it in my collection, but Upotte just came out, and Busou Shinki's also coming out, and they are a lot cheaper so...I'll hopefully get this...one day.

p.s. does episode 9( the one with Wakabe and Himawari "bonding") still look off model. The faces in that episode looked pretty bad, at least the broadcast version.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3