• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hunter X Hunter Manga's Return Slated for June 2

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:06 am Reply with quote
How long before it goes back into hiatus? I mean, don't get it twisted, I think Hunter x Hunter is awesome but you never know what's gonna happen when it comes to Yoshihiro Togashi.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:32 am Reply with quote
Second Fire Shadow wrote:
How long before it goes back into hiatus? I mean, don't get it twisted, I think Hunter x Hunter is awesome but you never know what's gonna happen when it comes to Yoshihiro Togashi.

I'd much rather him take a hiatus now and then, rather than him to run out of ideas and turn Hunter x Hunter into another Naruto/Bleach.
The thing that has kept this series so popular is the clever plot, characters and interesting battles.
Shory

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:50 am Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Second Fire Shadow wrote:

I'd much rather him take a hiatus now and then, rather than him to run out of ideas and turn Hunter x Hunter into another Naruto/Bleach.
The thing that has kept this series so popular is the clever plot, characters and interesting battles.

With all due respect, he's had plenty of time to write multiple arcs. I was asking myself whether he actually did that, up until this announcement, which can only mean that he has sufficient material to go along for a while. Of course, you can't predict for what reasons he will go into a hiatus next time, or when.
Shankusu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:33 am Reply with quote
Even taking a break every 4-5 chapters in Oda-manner would be fine. If necessary, that is. Better look up when the next Dragonque-----
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:11 am Reply with quote
I love that we're getting this news from a magazine issue that's not even supposed to be out in Japan yet.

Is anyone looking forward to Togashi turning in literal doodles for a chapter? I genuinely am.
rokon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:08 am Reply with quote
The article has an image of the manga in the announcement. Given the last few chapter prior to his latest hiatus, I genuinely believe this might be what he submits to Weekly Shonen Jump (and subsequently what gets published in tankobon). His integrity as an artist has really gone down the drain.

I' might read it online out of morbid curiosity to see what levels of visual depravity he can take his once-great series to. Am I the only one who thinks the series stopped being good after Greed Island?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nodz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The manga inspired two television anime series including one that has been running since 2011. It also inspired two anime films and several original video anime titles.

Do you really need to put that at EVERY single news about any manga?

Quote:
Am I the only one who thinks the series stopped being good after Greed Island?

You might not be the only one, but most people won't agree.
TheRahi00

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:03 am Reply with quote
The question rather should be am I the only one who thinks that this manga has one of the worst art I've ever seen. Actually I'm happy that the manga will be back but only because we get more manga material for the anime.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:38 am Reply with quote
rokon wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks the series stopped being good after Greed Island?

I didn't get on with the Chimera Ant arc and was very close to sidelining the series - sticking with it though in hopes that it will turn back into my cup of tea.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I thought the reason for the constant breaks was because he has a very serious health issues and that is why the art quality went way down because he no longer has the fine motor control he once had.
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to point out that Togashi usually redraws his scribbles when the HxH chapters are recollected in volume releases. Here's one comparison from the Chimera Ant arc. Of course, it would be better if he just drew finished chapters from the start, but with Togashi, you have to take what you get.

Judging by the preview image at the top of this article, it looks like we'll be putting up with low quality art for the time being. At least this provides extra motivation for actually buying the book releases.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:28 pm Reply with quote
rokon wrote:

I' might read it online out of morbid curiosity to see what levels of visual depravity he can take his once-great series to. Am I the only one who thinks the series stopped being good after Greed Island?

At the very least I don't agree with that. IMO the Chimera Ant arc is amazing, on a storytelling and character level it's simply fantastic.

As for the art, it is what is. The volume releases look way better from what I've seen. But I haven't really read the manga, mostly the 1999 and the amazing current series.
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:02 pm Reply with quote
rokon wrote:

I was going to answer this with dismissal, but then I realized: if anyone was following the Chimera Ant arc for, what, 6-7 years that it lasted, and was expecting spoiler[an all-out brawl in DBZ-BLEACH style], I have to sympathize with them if they found the conclusion lacking. If I'd read this story for that long and HXH had decided to drop that ending on me -which it did for several loyal readers - I'd be a bit pissed too. Hell, I had the benefit of having the entire series at my disposal, thus being able to read back and recall details more readily, and those chapters still felt like a gut punch.

So to answer, I don't think you're the only one, but popular opinion keeps siding with the Chimera Ant actually being the high point for HXH, and I side with that.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:59 pm Reply with quote
rokon wrote:
The article has an image of the manga in the announcement. Given the last few chapter prior to his latest hiatus, I genuinely believe this might be what he submits to Weekly Shonen Jump (and subsequently what gets published in tankobon). His integrity as an artist has really gone down the drain.

I disagree but I understand where the viewpoint comes from. I feel like the CA arc was flawed genius but it also was made up of a lot of components that I've come to like in hunter x hunter so to me at least the series felt true to itself even if it's disappointing as a battle manga.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Nodz:
Quote:
Do you really need to put that at EVERY single news about any manga?

It's a service for people unfamiliar with the property.

Quote:
You might not be the only one, but most people won't agree.

I'm only watching through the anime, but he really is just going through the motions after that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2