• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rurouni Kenshin Spinoff Manga About Shishio to Launch

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:41 am Reply with quote
though makoto is a good villain, to create a manga spinoff about him is kinda too much. it would have been better if they had made the spinoff about Aoishi Shinamori , or that girl who keeps stalking him , or better yet, a spinoff of the former Shinsagumi leader Saito. i definitely would like a manga spinoff on him instead of Makoto Shishio.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:30 am Reply with quote
I'm curious what Watsuki is trying to accomplish with this. Are we supposed to sympathize with Shishio after reading his new backstory? Respect him more as a villain who was just trying to do what he thought was right?

I don't anticipate it being anything special, but I would like a chance to see it translated.
Fyndra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I really, really respect Watsuki, but I just don't get this.

Since a gazillion info had been revealed about Shishio in the original manga, I doubt we need a side-story about him.
Then again, I should respect the author's choice.
Hard to be his fan these days...

And Embalming ending... I'm not even surprised. Sad

EDIT: btw, the first Kenshin spinoff was supposed to be short as well, I wonder if Embalming will really resume this fall. Laughing

Last edited by Fyndra on Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
YesNoMaybe
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Yea, I don't see this lasting long; Although, if it's going to be a short series then it might work.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Don't see why so many people are surprised/disappointed in a Shishio spinoff. The guy is practically a mirror image of Kenshin, only with a polar opposite ideology. The more sympathetic a villain is, the more interesting they become. And Shishio is definitely one of those villains, in case you guys missed it.

I don't see this back-story lasting too long, either; maybe around the length of the Tsuioku-hen flashback. But I think it definitely holds potential in really expanding his character a lot more.
link9us

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:22 pm Reply with quote
All these fcking adaptions, a new ova, live adaptations and now more manga story lines. Where the fck is our anime adaptation of the final arcs of the manga? Sad Us fans have been waiting for this for a long time. MAKE IT HAPPEN!! Evil or Very Mad
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Probably the only spin off series for Kenshin Id be interested in is Soujiro, he was my favorite character besides Kenshin and I want to know what happened to him on his journey.

Shishio I have no interest in.
PrimalX3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Maybe we will get to see his final secret sword: Kaguzuchi? And the stuff he did when he took over as assassin.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Shishio is one of my favorite Manga villains of all time, so I'm more than happy to see a return to his character. Especially since it should be considered canon material. Although I would have liked to see something about Soujiro as well.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:20 pm Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
I'm curious what Watsuki is trying to accomplish with this. Are we supposed to sympathize with Shishio after reading his new backstory? Respect him more as a villain who was just trying to do what he thought was right?

I don't anticipate it being anything special, but I would like a chance to see it translated.

Considering the title is "Record of Evil" I assume no. Watsuki made it perfectly clear that Shishio joined the Ishin Shishi for himself. He wanted to conquer Japan before he even became Kenshin's replacement as the lead assassin for the Ishin Shishi.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:16 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Don't see why so many people are surprised/disappointed in a Shishio spinoff. The guy is practically a mirror image of Kenshin, only with a polar opposite ideology. The more sympathetic a villain is, the more interesting they become. And Shishio is definitely one of those villains, in case you guys missed it.

I don't see this back-story lasting too long, either; maybe around the length of the Tsuioku-hen flashback. But I think it definitely holds potential in really expanding his character a lot more.

Not quite. most fans think that Aoshi Shinamori is more of the mirror image of Kenshin than Shishio which is why some people are surprised and/or disappointed that he got snubbed for him. though there are others who think that Saito would have made a better short OVA too since no one knows what happened to him after the war and the shinsagumi was dissolved.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ScarredSwordHeart

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to see how Yumi met Shishio.

Is this supposed to tie in with canon or Restoration?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kelly

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:01 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Saito would have made a better short OVA too since no one knows what happened to him after the war and the shinsagumi was dissolved.

Actually, what happened to the real Saito is known. If you're interested, spoiler[from what I remember reading he died in his 70's - the same year as his fellow former captain Shinpachi who was also in his 70's - of a stomach ulcer likely brought on by alcoholism. Saito took the secrets of the Shinsengumi to his grave, but Shinpachi left records which would provide the bulk of our knowledge of the inner workings of the Shinsengumi. The fate of Hijitaka's page Tetsunosuke Ichimura is unknown, but it is speculated that he did not live to old age, which if true would have made Saito and Shinpachi the last survivors of the Shinsengumi core as far as I know.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1